Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 AM   #46
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,380
For motorcycle camping, you don't need to spend a fortune on a tent. But you need to figure out what aspects you want. Some things that greatly add to the price of a tent (ultralight, ultracompact, snow loading ability) simply aren't needed for most motorcycle campers.

Personally, I think three biggest qualities would be: waterproof, aluminum poles (rather than fiberglass), and ease of setup. Other things to consider would be venting, a decent vestibule, and the form factor when stored. Beyond that, everything is gravy for the average camper. Expensive gravy.

There are literally dozens (hundreds?) of tents that meet that criteria. Even a Walmart tent may work, but I would want several personal references to be sure the quality doesn't vary greatly. The easiest thing would be to find a tent you like from a major manufacturer and look at the reviews. Brands like REI and Kelty have tents that would work in the $100-200 range.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #47
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,886
Comfortwise....

...Your most wisely spent money will be in your choice of sleeping pad and sleeping bag, regardless of the tent you select.

In a cold hard rain I could be really comfortable on my 3.5" thick Downmat sleeping pad and 0 down bag even if water were puddling on the tent floor of a cheap tent. But in the same weather it could be miserable in a $500 tent with a poor sleeping pad/sleeping bag. Just sayin'...
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #48
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Very happy with my Nemo Losi 2
Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #49
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,247
I've been using a 40 buck Ozark trail tent for about 6 yrs now and about half dozen times a yr. It still looks new, works great, and packs to 7x16. My only small beef is that I have to fish two poles x wise to set it up which takes almost minutes.

Ease of setup would be the only thing I buy another tent for, and that can be had for less than 100 bucks.

+1 on a good pad and mattress.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #50
outdoornate65
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I currently own 3 REI tents and love them all. Great quality. I do believe you get what you pay for when it comes to tents.
outdoornate65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #51
mass-klr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up getting the REI Half Dome 2 Plus. It was on sale at REI for $159.
I like that it is 4 inches wider and 9 inches longer that the Half Dome 2. It also has near vertical side walls and 2 doors.

It is still on sale a REI.

Paved Roads are just another example of wasted Taxpayer Dollars
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #52
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Redverz GenII

Anyone here use a Redverz Gen II? Hope this won't be considered a hijack but there are a number of brands and styles mentioned but no-one mentioned the Moto-tent category.
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #53
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-klr View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up getting the REI Half Dome 2 Plus. It was on sale at REI for $159.
I like that it is 4 inches wider and 9 inches longer that the Half Dome 2. It also has near vertical side walls and 2 doors.
Good choice. I've got the older 1/2 dome and it's been great. I've been looking at this one and trying to justify getting it when the old one is still going strong.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #54
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
Good choice. I've got the older 1/2 dome and it's been great. I've been looking at this one and trying to justify getting it when the old one is still going strong.

Nice tent too many poles, imo

Old 01-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #55
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Nice tent too many poles, imo
Does it matter when they're all hubbed together? The older 1/2 dome only had 2.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #56
Sheps3
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Look into the Koppen Hmr 3 from Dicks sporting goods. I have many exspensive tents and tried this one on a similar ride last year. For $130 you cant beat it for a free standing tent thats light only 4 lbs. Thing is bombproof and comes with its own compresion sack to boot. Survivied winds in excess of 80 mph in a bad storm. Check it out.
Sheps3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #57
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
Does it matter when they're all hubbed together? The older 1/2 dome only had 2.
While I have no experience with this particular tent, any time you need several poles to put a tent together, especially when solo, adds to the aggravation. You'll be trying to put a couple corners together while trying to prevent the others from falling out. And they will.
Add in night coming on, you'r in Labrador where the black flies are trying to carry you away, and you're also tired.

The aggravation may not be enough to take yrs off your life, but it would be enough of a nuisance for me that I wouldn't even consider it. Especially when there are many other choices available.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #58
mass-klr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
While I have no experience with this particular tent, any time you need several poles to put a tent together, especially when solo, adds to the aggravation. You'll be trying to put a couple corners together while trying to prevent the others from falling out. And they will.
Add in night coming on, you'r in Labrador where the black flies are trying to carry you away, and you're also tired.

The aggravation may not be enough to take yrs off your life, but it would be enough of a nuisance for me that I wouldn't even consider it. Especially when there are many other choices available.
There are only 2 poles connected to the plastic corners on top and the ridge pole also connectingbto it. First time I set it up without instructions took less than 10 minutes.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #59
mass-klr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-klr View Post
There are only 2 poles connected to the plastic corners on top and the ridge pole also connectingbto it. First time I set it up without instructions took less than 10 minutes.
How the pole setup works

Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #60
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorasi View Post
Anyone here use a Redverz Gen II? Hope this won't be considered a hijack but there are a number of brands and styles mentioned but no-one mentioned the Moto-tent category.
Use it. Love it.

It isn't light. It isn't small. It isn't free-standing. It takes a large campsite to set it up.

But it is absolute heaven to live out of on the road. Whether or not you park the bike in the vestibule is beside the point. It is great to have all your gear dry and inside...and be able to gear up without rolling around on the ground.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote