Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #26836
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
We collectively hate you.

I gotta add Australia to my pedaling list.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #26837
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
We collectively hate you.

I gotta add Australia to my pedaling list.
+1 Thanks for sharing. We are on our 8th day in a row of rain here. That's our winter, while most areas get snow.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #26838
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,817
I just got back from a ride. The couch monster had me, but my riding buddy came over and pulled me out of its grasp.

Did the '4 dirt roads' loop. 1:22 of muddy, slippy, nasty, wet fun. First thing I did when I got back was hose off the bike. Second was toss the stuff I had on into the wash. I was brown from toes to thighs. Fenders make things mo bettah when its nasty out.

I discovered that I'd mis-read the blurb on the PI Barrier Lite booties I ordered. Thought they were waterproof. Nope. Water resistant. No freaking WONDER my feet were wet and cold 2 days in a row! on my part for not paying farging attention! Oh well. I'm still owed a pair of Tarmac booties. Here's hoping I'll see em sooner rather than later.

M
Old 01-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #26839
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,583
My neighbor gave this wheel to me, but can't remember what hub he used when he built it over 20 years ago. I can't find any markings on it. The lower half of the cassette is Dura Ace. Anybody have a clue? Whatever it is, once I clean it up it'll look and feel almost new.

Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #26840
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
Must...remove...dork...ring...
Old 01-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #26841
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi View Post
My neighbor gave this wheel to me, but can't remember what hub he used when he built it over 20 years ago. I can't find any markings on it. The lower half of the cassette is Dura Ace. Anybody have a clue? Whatever it is, once I clean it up it'll look and feel almost new.

Looks like American Classic or Kingsberry USA. Also looks like a freewheel, not a cassette. Good stuff--I had trouble with a SunTour freewheel on an American Classic hub 25 years ago--if I'd left it on I'd have stripped the threads, but going to a 7S DA (like you've got on there) fixed that. 20,000ish Seattle all-weather miles on the hub with only one bearing change, and I'm going to rebuild the wheel someday.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #26842
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
looks ike mavic ma40 rims, too, which are very nice light and strong.

I assume that specialized logo is on the tire and not the rim? (at the angle and depth of field, its hard to tell)

phew, thats a wide range 7-sp freewheel, looks like a 13-32 or something?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #26843
Omi
0o0o0o

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Looks like American Classic or Kingsberry USA. Also looks like a freewheel, not a cassette. Good stuff--I had trouble with a SunTour freewheel on an American Classic hub 25 years ago--if I'd left it on I'd have stripped the threads, but going to a 7S DA (like you've got on there) fixed that. 20,000ish Seattle all-weather miles on the hub with only one bearing change, and I'm going to rebuild the wheel someday.
Yup, it's a freewheel. Just too used to say cassette. 12-32 with a box of Shimano, Suntour, and Campy gears for custom ratios. Mavic MA-40 36 hole rim w DT 15 gauge spokes w brass nips. I was thinking it is a Phil Wood or American Classic hub. I'm not familiar with Kingsberry USA.
The guy also gave me a mid 80's Campy Record gruppo, 2 new XT 8 speed rear wheels with 4 cassettes, Ringle skewers, a big box of handlebars and stems, and about a dozen tires! He said he was too old for bikes without motors!

I have an old Paramount frame that the parts are perfect for!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #26844
pierce
Aven'Tourer

every Phil Wood part I've ever seen has the cursive "Phil" logo etched or stamped into it
Old 01-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #26845
Omi
0o0o0o

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
every Phil Wood part I've ever seen has the cursive "Phil" logo etched or stamped into it
I have never seen them without a logo either. Most high end hubs have a stamp or etching, so this ones puzzling me.

Found it! It's an American Classic! Thanks guys!

http://www.bikepro.com/products/hubs...american.shtml

Omi screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 10:46 PM
Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #26846
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,701
29er advice

hey all, been looking at getting a 29er to replace my 25? year old rockhopper. sorry, but I don't want to spend more than 650 bucks, period, so don't suggest bikes that cost 750, 850,etc. My racing days were over long ago, I simply want a bike to ride some local single track and enjoy the woods. lots of roots/rocks in my area, that's why I'm interested in the 29ers, just time to try something different. my local bike shop sells Giant, and gives some good discounts. I've also looked at trek, diamondback and some others I can't remember at some other shops.
SO, if you had 650 bucks, what would you buy?
thanks in advance for any advice.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #26847
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
hey all, been looking at getting a 29er to replace my 25? year old rockhopper. sorry, but I don't want to spend more than 650 bucks, period, so don't suggest bikes that cost 750, 850,etc. My racing days were over long ago, I simply want a bike to ride some local single track and enjoy the woods. lots of roots/rocks in my area, that's why I'm interested in the 29ers, just time to try something different. my local bike shop sells Giant, and gives some good discounts. I've also looked at trek, diamondback and some others I can't remember at some other shops.
at the $650 point for new, don't even THINK of getting anything with full suspension, and the front forks will be pretty lame.

I was drooling on pictures of the Surly Ogre last night, and its a no-suspension 29er, with a $1500 MSRP. Mostly Deore running bits, Avid mechanical disk brakes, wheels strong enough to take some abuse.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #26848
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,701
oh yeah, no rear suspension, and i'm sure the front will be a sponge, but I can upgrade that later if needed. like I said, I'm not agressive anymore, no jumps! where was all this technology back in the 80's?!!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #26849
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
Quote:
Used.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #26850
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
oh yeah, no rear suspension, and i'm sure the front will be a sponge, but I can upgrade that later if needed. like I said, I'm not agressive anymore, no jumps! where was all this technology back in the 80's?!!
back in the 80s? this was a mountain bike!

IIRC, that was somewhat under $400 new in late 1983. the fenders are from 1985 or so.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: