ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #16
PetrB
Adventurer
 
PetrB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: RF
Oddometer: 49
By the way I am now reading about driving with the Ural engines in a frost. Indeed, the fuel mixture is very depleted and there is a real risk of damage to the pistons by overheating (pistons can be simply burned off, because depleted mixture is burns very hot in the combustion chambers).

I do not know, if there are any choke on new-style airfilters. But if not, I think that the solution against depletion can be a homemade fabric cover (like a hat ) to donning over the filter housing - it will reduce the airflow, thus enriching the fuel mixture.

I'm going to do something similar for my hack, as the factory choke I've been removed from the system
PetrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #17
Mechanista
manic depressive
 
Mechanista's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: G.J. Colo.
Oddometer: 440
So, Dana...

How cold was it today?
The sun was shining strong this morning, but still only -11 here in GJ.
That is the only thing I liked about working up in Eagle-Vail during the winter was the cool sunrises.
What kind of exhaust mod did you do to your Ural to kick it up like that?

Thanks for the info PetrB. I will try to remember to use the knitted hat for a choke over the air cleaner inlet, next time I go riding in the extreme cold.
__________________
My wife knew I was this way before she even married me!
Mechanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #18
DirtyDR OP
Dana
 
DirtyDR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Edwards,Colorado
Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanista View Post
How cold was it today?
The sun was shining strong this morning, but still only -11 here in GJ.
That is the only thing I liked about working up in Eagle-Vail during the winter was the cool sunrises.
What kind of exhaust mod did you do to your Ural to kick it up like that?

Thanks for the info PetrB. I will try to remember to use the knitted hat for a choke over the air cleaner inlet, next time I go riding in the extreme cold.
-14 this morning but I take the van on Mondays and Wednesdays because I work out after work and I hate putting a sweaty head into a helmet at below zero temps. I haven't started the Astro since Friday and I thought it wasn't going to start this morning.

The exhaust is a stock Ural 650 solo exhaust. Holopaw still has some last I heard and they are cheap. Pretty much a bolt on but I switched them left side on right and vice versa and then sawzalled off the passenger pegs and used the peg mounts to bolt them to the bike.
__________________
06 Ural Patrol
03 R1150 GS Sport/ Friendship II
94 R1100RS
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
DirtyDR OP
Dana
 
DirtyDR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Edwards,Colorado
Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrB View Post
By the way I am now reading about driving with the Ural engines in a frost. Indeed, the fuel mixture is very depleted and there is a real risk of damage to the pistons by overheating (pistons can be simply burned off, because depleted mixture is burns very hot in the combustion chambers).

I do not know, if there are any choke on new-style airfilters. But if not, I think that the solution against depletion can be a homemade fabric cover (like a hat ) to donning over the filter housing - it will reduce the airflow, thus enriching the fuel mixture.

I'm going to do something similar for my hack, as the factory choke I've been removed from the system
I live at about 7,300 feet/2250 meters so too much oxygen is rarely a problem up here. I run stock factory jets and it runs just fine up here, I spend a lot of time around 10,000 feet/3050 meters so I really don't worry about running lean.
__________________
06 Ural Patrol
03 R1150 GS Sport/ Friendship II
94 R1100RS
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #20
PetrB
Adventurer
 
PetrB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: RF
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR View Post
I live at about 7,300 feet/2250 meters so too much oxygen is rarely a problem up here. I run stock factory jets and it runs just fine up here, I spend a lot of time around 10,000 feet/3050 meters so I really don't worry about running lean.
Yes, it's just my thinking out loud. Because I am very care of my USSR-made 650 engine and keep thinking about all sorts of horrors
PetrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #21
DirtyDR OP
Dana
 
DirtyDR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Edwards,Colorado
Oddometer: 2,213
I keep forgetting you have a 650 witk Pekar carbs I think you said.
__________________
06 Ural Patrol
03 R1150 GS Sport/ Friendship II
94 R1100RS
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #22
DirtyDR OP
Dana
 
DirtyDR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Edwards,Colorado
Oddometer: 2,213
-24F yesterday morning and the Ural did not want to start so instead of jumping it with the deep cycle battery I keep charged up in the garage for just such occasions I let it rest and took the van.

mechanista, are you coming out to Moab with us in April? http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=3&t=25248

We are looking at around 15 Urals confirmed and 2 or 3 uncomitted so far.

__________________
06 Ural Patrol
03 R1150 GS Sport/ Friendship II
94 R1100RS
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #23
PetrB
Adventurer
 
PetrB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: RF
Oddometer: 49
We had a little ride today too About +20F, the engine is pulls perfect. Especially because I'm a bit fine-tuned carbs before ride. And my homemade 2-in-1 exhaust at high RPM now trumpet like the Jericho Trumpets - oh, all it so beautiful! And now we are wear gear more relevant to the ambient. I'm not a cold, but sometimes the thought of your Colorado's -25F

And we met a moose while riding. Very rare encounter in these densely populated territories. It was a family, whole 3 heads.
__________________
Trips at the Arctic shores of Russia, and more - sevprostor.ru
PetrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #24
Mechanista
manic depressive
 
Mechanista's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: G.J. Colo.
Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR View Post
-24F yesterday morning and the Ural did not want to start so instead of jumping it with the deep cycle battery I keep charged up in the garage for just such occasions I let it rest and took the van.

mechanista, are you coming out to Moab with us in April? http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=3&t=25248

We are looking at around 15 Urals confirmed and 2 or 3 uncomitted so far.

I don't know how I missed that thread in SS!?
I'm pretty sure we are going to go. We will be tenting it. Go ahead and count us IN!
So far I have spent most of this week trying to start many of our trucks whose fuel has turned to WAX! I think our fuel supplier screwed up on their winter blend. I am also starting to get scabs on my hands from the frost!
__________________
My wife knew I was this way before she even married me!
Mechanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014