User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #796
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,363
Bryce,
It's just a stud screwed into a threaded hole in the fork. If you can get two nuts or a pair of vise grips on what remains sticking out after you remove the cap and axle, then you should be able to break it loose and screw it out. It doesn't look flush but if it is, then drill out the center and use a screw extractor. Cut a generic stud, threaded rod, or bolt (of proper thread size and pitch) to enough length and use two nuts tightened together on one end to screw it in tight. Maybe a dab of loktite if you're concerned about the possibility of it unscrewing from the fork when loosening the nut, but in reality it wouldn't matter.
Another reality is that you could have simply continued on your prescribed path and fixed this when you got a chance. I would have counseled you to simply tighten the one bolt at the top all the way so the clamp is flush with the fork, then use the bottom two to take up the slack - chances are, it could run the rest of the life of the bike that way. I wouldn't let it stop me from keepin' on.
Cheers!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #797
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzar View Post
Bryce,

Hewby and I are in Cusco for the next two nights, right down the street from Norton Rat's Tavern. If you make it here, the first couple of beers are on me

Road to Cusco is mostly in great shape, except some washouts as you drop down to the Rio Apurimac. The Chalhuanca to Abancay stretch was probably my favorite.
Sorry man, had to divert to Arequipa to get some parts and fix some stuff. I'll be heading up to Cuzco in a day or two. Are you guys going to Macchu Picchu?
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #798
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

WOW... when I started writing that post, your report was unanswered. When it posted, there was all those posts in between.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #799
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post

Do I get a spot on the tank?

Yeah, when you pay me the money that you owe me. Then you can have the whole bike and write whatever you want on the tank.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #800
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I sent you a couple bucks. I can't spare a ton, but hopefully my small donation can go toward something very important, like beer...
Noted! Beer was purchased and consumed tonight! Thanks a ton man! It was raining so I wasn't able to write your name on, but tomorrow if it clears up, you'll be on the XRL!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #801
diegoteck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Day 93

Tomorrow I have to go try and figure out how to fix my front fork. I'm hoping that the solution is relatively simple. If anyone is reading this and has a copy of the Honda Service manual with an exploded view of the front fork, I would appreciate a copy of the picture!

Cheers!
Ulyses,i've been enjoying your RR for some time now, truly amazing and inspiring, actually you are now at the destination of my dream trip I'm planing for 2014, Arequipa! UT to AREQUIPA to be more specific.

I haven't made any comments so far, but here it is my little contribution.

First, If you run into any trouble in Arequipa, just PM me, I have Peruvian cousins living there, they all speak English and I'm sure they will be happy to help my friend.

Also searching a bit online and I found a service manual on PDF for '93 xr650l, I know is not the same year as yours, but I though it may help.
Here is the link
On page 121/210 there is a diagram for the front fork.

http://www.ripperfox.com/manuals/xr650l%20manual.pdf

Bike bandit has exploited diagrams as well, here is the link for you bike.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...r650l/o/m17186

diegoteck screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 09:11 PM
diegoteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #802
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoteck View Post
Ulyses,i've been enjoying your RR for some time now, truly amazing and inspiring, actually you are now at the destination of my dream trip I'm planing for 2014, Arequipa! UT to AREQUIPA to be more specific.

I haven't made any comments so far, but here it is my little contribution.

First, If you run into any trouble in Arequipa, just PM me, I have Peruvian cousins living there, they all speak English and I'm sure they will be happy to help my friend.

Also searching a bit online and I found a service manual on PDF for '93 xr650l, I know is not the same year as yours, but I though it may help.
Here is the link

http://www.ripperfox.com/manuals/xr650l%20manual.pdf

Bike bandit has exploited diagrams as well

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...r650l/o/m17186
Here is the fron axle
Thanks a ton man! I'm going to have to check out that manual and see if I can download it to my phone. All of the XR650L models are essentially the same, so I'm sure it would work.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #803
diegoteck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Thanks a ton man! I'm going to have to check out that manual and see if I can download it to my phone. All of the XR650L models are essentially the same, so I'm sure it would work.
I just uploaded a better diagram, hit refresh.
diegoteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #804
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 243
Fork fix

Great to follow your trip. The fork should be an easy fix, but you shouldn't need Loktite. Tighten top first then pinch down with the lower nuts and off to the next stop. Ride On!
Super Dave Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #805
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
If you do not have a screw extractor,use the handle end of a small file and hit it in,anything harder than the bolt with a few sharp edges to grab the bolt .
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #806
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
There is no valve in the bottom of the frame only the screen for the big stuff.
You are correct sir! I knew there was a valve somewhere along the line though.
Either way, sometimes they let the oil seep out of the frame. If you are not aware of this it can be quite disconcerting.
It's only happend to me a couple times on my bike but on the XRL thread I remember reading of others bikes that do this on a more frequent basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
If you do not have a screw extractor,use the handle end of a small file and hit it in,anything harder than the bolt with a few sharp edges to grab the bolt .
I haven't studied these bolts that closely in person but the diagram Spudrider posted shows part of the stud with no threads, and the pic Bryce took looks like there is still enough stud to grip with vise grips.
Hopefully by now he's on the road again!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #807
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,547
Just FYI, the torque spec on those axle holder nuts is only 9 ft/lbs

So refrain from using your man-strength on them.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #808
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
[QUOTE} Just FYI, the torque spec on those axle holder nuts is only 9 ft/lbs

So refrain from using your man-strength on them.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. Sorry man, with a beard like that, just twist them off and get new ones.
junkyardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #809
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Arequipa

Day 94 (January 17, 2013)
Arequipa, Peru
Day's Ride: 5 Miles, more or less....

Just thought I would share a picture of last nights meal:

I don't know why, but McDonald's inspires some huge cravings for me down here. I wouldn't touch the stuff back home. However, after riding all day yesterday and eating only a banana and a few cookies; two Big Macs, a large fry, a large coke, and a slice of chocolate cake really hit the spot.

In any event, moving on to today's food pictures, here's breakfast:

French fries, a fried egg, a sausage wrapped in bacon, a slice of bread, and a couple of black coffees. As you can see, I'm striving to eat as healthily as possible.

After increasing my risk of heart disease, I hunted down an address for Andes Motos, a motorcycle rental shop here in Arequipa which was purported to be renting XR650L's. Goggle maps really doesn't work so hot down here, so eventually I ended up calling the owner, Felipe, on the phone in the Hostel. He didn't speak very good English, but combined with my Spanish it was enough to figure out that he would meet me at a bridge a few miles outside of town and guide me to his shop.

I got on the bike and blasted out to the 'burbs and sure enough, there was Felipe waiting for me on his Yamaha. We headed back to his house, which is also where he runs his business.

I'm just going to throw this out before I continue, Felipe is the freaking man! Right off the bat I told him of my problems with the broken stud, and he immediately went over to one of his XR400's and started tearing a stud out of the front fork to give to me!

We then got to work trying to extract my broken stud. I tried vice grips, no joy. Next, I used a hacksaw to cut a notch for a screwdriver; once again, no joy. Felipe recommended that I take it over to his mechanic Oscar who he claimed would be able to extract it right away.

Felipe and I started talking and somehow the conversation turned to pistols. He showed me his Colt 1902 in .38.

What a beautiful weapon! It has a six inch slide, is well oiled, and looks serviceable. The only reason that this weapon is legal in Peru is that it's over 100 years old and is considered an antique. I asked him if he ever got to shoot it, but he told me that he couldn't get ammo for it. What a shame.

We got back to bike stuff and I told him about needing another front sprocket. He ran back into his garage and came out with a 15 tooth front sprocket. I then told him I needed to find a 21 inch inner tube for my front tire, and he disappeared into his garage again, then reappeared with a brand new Pirrelli tube. I asked him how much he wanted for the stud, the sprocket, and the tube, and he just smiled and told me that it was free! I was blown away!

The best part of this trip has been the people that I've met, and Felipe is definitely one of those people! What a guy!

He took me around and showed me some of the bikes that he rents. He's got a few XR400's:

A 2009 XR650L with the 5.8 gallon Acerbis fuel tank and only 3,500 km on the odometer:

And, the most badass 650 of them all, the XR650R:

He called this bike his girlfriend; it was pristine!

I said my goodbyes and got a picture with Filipe:

We then threw his son up on my bike and got some pictures.

I thanked Filipe profusely for his help, and after much insisting, I finally managed to make him accept 50 Soles as a small token of my gratitude.

After leaving Filipe's house, I navigated across town to Oscar's shop and we got down to the nasty business of removing that broken stud.

Vice grips still weren't working, so we moved on to bigger and better things....

After grinding some flat spots on the stud, we were able to get some purchase and pull it out.

I gave Oscar some Soles and had him sign my tank.

By this time it was about noon and I still had half the day to see Arequipa, so I headed back to the Hostel to stash my bike. On my way, I found that the prep school that I had started up all those years ago was up and running in multiple locations throughout Peru:

I spent the rest of the day exploring downtown Arequipa. It's a beautiful place. They call it the white city due to all of the volcanic stone called "sillar" that is used to construct the buildings. Everywhere you go there are beautiful, colonial style stone buildings.

This is the Balisica Cathedral in the main plaza, "Plaza de Armas":

There are tons of convents, old Churches, and historical buildings interspersed throughout the blocks surrounding the plaza. Here's some shots:

I finished off the day by visiting a local museum, "Museo Sactuarios Andinos", where they display Juanita, the Ice Princess. Juanita was an Incan girl sacrificed to the Incan gods over 500 years ago. What makes her so interesting is that she was sacrificed on top of a 21,000 foot volcano whose glacial coverings have almost perfectly preserved her body and clothing. It's incredible that the Incans could climb that high, much less perform ritual sacrifices at that altitude. Juanita was discovered in 1995 when a nearby eruption caused the glaciers to melt and exposed her tomb as well as several others.

Photography wasn't allowed, but you can google some images if you like. Juanita wasn't on display, but they had another of the sacrificial victims on display in side of a double sealed, refrigerated glass box which is kept at -20 degrees Celsius year round to preserve the mummy. It was incredible and morbidly fascinating. The bodies are so well preserved that you can still see wrinkles in the skin. It's a little bit creepy.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #810
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Good day, Bryce!
So where ya heading tomorrow... back toward Cusco, or southbound?