Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #14236
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegraydog View Post
In the occasional mention of racers we admire and miss, like Jonah Street, I haven't seen mentioned Chris Blais. He was on the podium when I started to hear about Dakar. He augured in,training in the Nevada desert, nothing much as I recall. But that's how it can go. Here's to you, Chris.
Chris' wife Patty is an inmate here (Gidget) and checks in from time to time. His image is on the banner art for RallyRAIDio.

Isidre Esteve was another who suffered a very similar injury to Chris. It has not been a kind decade to our Dakar Heroes.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #14237
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,190
Chris has been racing Side by Sides.. and runs his own shop.. http://www.blaisracing.com/
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #14238
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing ricardo
ATVs... sideXsides... retard chariots... motocross bikes... i have a friend that has a street legal truggy... yup... robbies hummer is prolly street legal in AZ...

god bless arizona!!!

How did you know Amazing Ricky
It'll be expired when he gets back. Hope he doesn't get a ticket.

G'night all.
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #14239
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,940
Hot off facebook, for all you facebook boyfriends, Im afraid I havesome bad news for you about our Laia:

While you were all arguing, about dating, Dave got her!

He claims "We camped next door last night...." But I dont believe a word of it!!

He looks tired, she looks refreshed!
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #14240
PackMule
love what you do

From RMS/GSNorCal (Dave)

"We camped next door last night..."

LOL, by Neil. Guess I spent too much time looking at the pic before I posted it.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #14241
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Yep, I saw that too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Hot off facebook, for all you facebook boyfriends, Im afraid I havesome bad news for you about our Laia:

While you were all arguing, about dating, Dave got her!

He claims "We camped next door last night...." But I dont believe a word of it!!

He looks tired, she looks refreshed!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #14242
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
From RMS/GSNorCal (Dave)

"We camped next door last night..."

LOL, by Neil. Guess I spent too much time looking at the pic before I posted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Tough day at the office!

The Aussie's are massively impressive this year. I hope they keep coming back, they'll launch one into the top ten.
As have the South Africans

Brett Cummings still going strong in the mid 50's over all

Darryl Curtis has not had a great rally but is in the 20's.

Riaan Van Niekerk has been consistently 15/16 for 5 days in a row now.

Aussies and Saffas are neck and neck.

Tragically our Zambian competitor Dave Reeve crashed in the river today. He was doing so well!

From FB 8 hrs ago (hopefully not 205)

David Reeve's Zambia Dakar 2013 Challenge

Not gud news. David over handlebars in river. Broken left leg. No Xray yet so unable 2 confirm if both bones or not. skin not broken like Brian and Barret. he talking in pain doctors with him. will send more info as we get.it in. BANDA

Then a 42 minutes ago

David has broken his left shin bone. He is in a plaster cast and is to be moved to Catamarca Hospital for a pin before being flown to Johannesburg. He is otherwise OK and was sleeping when I last saw him. CB1

Heart wrenching stuff. I wonder how that happened.... Must have been a freakish accident. He was doing so so well, a rookie to the Dakar, running close to or ahead of Lyndon.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #14243
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:

Darryl Curtis has not had a great rally but is in the 20's.
Hope he can come back again and get a clean run at it. IIRC, Ned really enjoyed his company last year.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #14244
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,832
Quote:
:

David has broken his left shin bone. He is in a plaster cast and is to be moved to Catamarca Hospital for a pin before being flown to Johannesburg. He is otherwise OK and was sleeping when I last saw him. CB1

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #14245
El Cucuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Jere Israel was ripping but it looks like he is out???

That would leave Grabham as top rookie right now, right?

Aussies kicking some azz!
El Cucuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #14246
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:

Not gud news. David over handlebars in river. Broken left leg. No Xray yet so unable 2 confirm if both bones or not. skin not broken like Brian and Barret. he talking in pain doctors with him. will send more info as we get.it in. BANDA

Then a 42 minutes ago

Heart wrenching stuff. I wonder how that happened.... Must have been a freakish accident. He was doing so so well, a rookie to the Dakar, running close to or ahead of Lyndon.

I only realised now it was PAL Anders who helped him, and it was 205 just no one mentioned it?

This is from PAU, regarding David Reeve:

"Had also a situation today where a rider with start number 102 (?), Crashed right in front of me. I slowed down to see what happened to him, but he was lying. I turned for help and when I came away I saw that his leg was broken and he was in shock. We have a "red button" that each of motorcyclists can press if you need assistance helicopter, so I helped him push this to get help. Several others just drove past without caring at all, so it's pretty raw and brutal also on human plan here sometimes. I hope I get in. I took the loss for this episode, but it is thus not important."

Wow. Hectic.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #14247
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
I only realised now it was PAL Anders who helped him, and it was 205 just no one mentioned it?

This is from PAU, regarding David Reeve:

"Had also a situation today where a rider with start number 102 (?), Crashed right in front of me. I slowed down to see what happened to him, but he was lying. I turned for help and when I came away I saw that his leg was broken and he was in shock. We have a "red button" that each of motorcyclists can press if you need assistance helicopter, so I helped him push this to get help. Several others just drove past without caring at all, so it's pretty raw and brutal also on human plan here sometimes. I hope I get in. I took the loss for this episode, but it is thus not important."

Wow. Hectic.
Yea, this came up a few hours ago.
Human moment of the day.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #14248
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cucuy View Post
Jere Israel was ripping but it looks like he is out???

That would leave Grabham as top rookie right now, right?

Aussies kicking some azz!
Van Niekerk is the top rookie now actually.

Go South Africans! The race within the race!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #14249
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Well I caught up, only a few pages, the race is taking it's toll on here as well

Gotta comment on Kurt's post-Special interview, I am impressed, he looks really calm, understated, and most important, loved leading the race and is willing to navigate. Smart guy, he has a true "hard coded" racer's brain.

Was talking to a friend who raced the ISDEs with him in both Chile '07 and Greece '08 and basically underlined what everyone else already said, he is freaky smooth and freaky fast, on every kind of terrain. If anyone has not seen the youtube video of the heli footage from Chile (I think Ned pointed it out first), do yourself a favor:

So Kurt opens up today, I will be rooting for him again. KTM need a different passport on their "A" teams, and Kurt has found himself at the right place at the right time. I just hope they can support him an a couple of more FIM rounds before the next Dakar. I would love to see him in Sardignia, the pace of navigation there is just crazy. Gonk, Despres, Pedrero and Chaleco follow. Chaleco is interesting for me, so much potential some times and yet loses out majorly on others. Contesting 3rd place on the podium with Jakes is going to be a cliff hanger this year hopefully. Botturi in 5th overall is not that far behind, and he is old-school enduro-tough. Banged up little finger is annoying him, he may just ask a doctor to amputate it .

KTMs 1-4, with a Husky in 5th, although the Yamahas of Pain & Verhoeven are now an hour to an hour-fifteen in 7th and 8th. First HRCs are 9th and 10th with Helder & Pizzolito. At least they are in front of the privateer bikes

Sorry to hear of Barreda's shoulder, he looked in quite a lot of pain at the finish yesterday,unless he was just sand bagging and disappointed he lost so much time after opening the course. Remember that 1.15 difference on stage 10, when Cyril opened and Barreda played catch up? Well, yesterday while the tables were reversed, Joan lost 4.30 to Cyril

On HRC, there is so much controversy and spin that I can't really pass judgement on their tactics. We know for a fact that Helder is fast, the bike just doesn't seem to play along. OK it's their first year, but does anyone not think that he would have been (much) better placed this year on his Yam? For a rider, that's all that counts. Loose wires, fuel issues, pumps, excuses, excuses can wreak havoc on a racer's morale. Where has the biggest smile (with Casteu) of the bivouac gone? The bottom line is that HRC are not performing as expected. I just hope they are smart enough to stick with the riders they've got and keep pushing for results as a team instead of making a knee-jerk reaction and changing their line up. It's obvious that their problems are elsewhere.

Fiambala to Copiapo!! Kurt opens on mainly On Piste stuff... bring on today
Old 01-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #14250
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
dakar.com stage 11

first half of the Dakar.com photos from stage 11, cross-posted over in the Dakar 2013 Media thread.

#5 - JOAN BARREDA BORT (ESP)

#302 - STÉPHANE PETERHANSEL (FRA) / JEAN PAUL COTTRET (FRA)

#501 - EDUARD NIKOLAEV (RUS) / SERGEY SAVOSTIN (RUS) / VLADIMIR RYBAKOV (RUS)
#510 - ANDREY KARGINOV (RUS) / IGOR DEVYATKIN (RUS) / ANDREY MOKEEV (RUS)

#301 - GINIEL DE VILLIERS (ZAF) / DIRK VON ZITZEWITZ (DEU)

#29 - KURT CASELLI (USA)

tldr; cross-posted over in the Dakar 2013 Media thread.