Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #106
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbird View Post
Cobras had IRS but not the Cobra R. Friend has 2 R's (one for race,one for show) says it is eaisier to set up live axle for the track. 2015 will be IRS.
My friend has IRS in a '65 Mustang, but it took a lot of $$ to make that happen.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #107
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,798
I like this new Vette. I'd prefer that they'd carried on with the round tail lights--though I'm not sure how well that would have meshed with the more angular styling.

Really, though, I think I'd have more fun tossing around a BRZ or similar, as the performance is just more accessible.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #108
valvecrusher
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
I'm very curious how anything with more than 3 slots is rendered usable. Isn't it going to screw with your ability to naturally find the middle slots, bcs now you can't let the stick self-center & just ram it up/down? Seems like it's a recipe for slower shifts.
Its similar to the T56 used since the LT1 F-cars, the Cobras, Vette and Vipers..

Also, it's not very likely you'll be tryin' to BANG it into 7th...

Also, for those of us with LOTS of experience with the T56....the 'gates' have solenoids shifting 'locks' over the gates...
You cannot physically discern a -locked out- gate, although the center detent in a T56 is 3-4....
but the T56 and the new 7 speed have the same number of gates WIDE... Just one has a 7 where -R- is on the m6, and -R- where the m6 has nothing..

so, the
center is probably STILL 3-4...

The 1-4 shift instead of 1-2 when lightly accelerating DOES take some getting use to..also the 2nd-5th instead of 3rd is equally disconcerting the first few dozen times...

BUT
to the same effect, you'll NEVER hit 2nd-R, (in a m6) because of the gate lockout...in this car 5th-R(same principle)
(in a m6, you HAVE to select 1st, THEN drop into R..... R is locked out at all other times)

But you know how the system works, yes?
The CPU determines WHICH gates are available, dependant on throttle position, speed, emissions at tailpipe, engine RPMs, previous(current)gear selected, and traction
(plus more probably on this car...but you get the point)

valvecrusher screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 10:12 PM
valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #109
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Spoilers, wings and scoops, o my (eyes).
Here's a theory. GM is starting to realize that Asia is a potential growing market for their "higher end" cars. Maybe they had some focus groups of successful Chinese who gave input on styling. This is a culture that thinks Buicks are stylish status symbols.
Or it could just be that GM is going after all the Pontiac fans since they killed the brand. Who else is gonna satiate the desire for plastic body cladding?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #110
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Who else is gonna satiate the desire for plastic body cladding?

Its a Vette, that have been fiberglass (and laid poorly) forever.

Not to mention that a lot of those vents are likely functional. The one on the hood is in a possition to reduce front end lift, the fender vents appear to be for the brakes etc etc.

Won't know till we see them in person.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #111
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
I know you live in Nebraska, so you don't have much in the way of corners, but if this car is anything like the previous Corvettes, it'll leave the live axle Mustang in the dust on a windy road. On most windy roads around here, 600hp is pretty much overkill.

Next year, the rumor is that the Mustang will appear with an IRS, like the 'vette has. That will make comparisons between the two a lot more realistic. Note that I'm a Ford guy, so I'd love a blue oval competitor to the Corvette.

Comments have been made around price, but it appears that the pricing is right in line with previous. This isn't a car you buy at graduation from college - this is the car you buy when your kids finish college. The Corvette has always been an aspirational car. This one seems to be trying to roll refinement into the mix, which has been a steady, though not always successful effort for GM.

To my eye, this looks more Ferrari 599 than Camaro and it's a giant step up in terms of visual interest from the C6. This car looks like it's got some functional hood scoops and the like that aren't just decoration. That's a big switch. Even the ZR1 has fake fender exhaust vents.
Back in 1978 I was car shopping, a Trans-Am cost me $6300 and a Vette at that time was $9K. The pontiac had zero options, not even AC, T-Tops or a radio. If I had it with the same options as the vettes had it would have cost $7500. iNow, a V8 Camaro is $32K and a Vette is $50K. Much bigger gap now, percentage wise.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #112
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
your gonna be sleeping a long time...
Maybe not as long as you think. Talk of an El Camino based off of the 2014 Commodore (Australia market) has been in the works for almost a year now! It will be marketed as a "hybrid" pick-up truck car that exceeds S-10 fuel efficiency. See link for more info...I never said it was pretty!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ch&um=1&itbs=1
Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #113
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Here's are some very insightful initial impressions of the new Stingray, written by a Detroit insider whose opinions I respect - scroll to the bottom of the page for the Corvette review: http://www.autoextremist.com

I am glad Peter agrees with me re: the Camaro taillights and the Nissan/tuner side profile. As I said before, it may be a technically excellent sports car, but it is fugly and does not have the Corvette styling lineage it should have.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #114
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,371
The link does have a decent review of the new Corvette "Stingray". The picture of it, a dark gunmetal gray, does diminish the visibility of the black louvers and helps tone down the more objectionable aspects of the styling. Even those Stingrays louver-vents are functional I remember the '68 Camaro RS with the plastic faux hood vents. In era of wide belts and super flare pants that Camaro styling was cheesy then.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #115
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,281
You're right soboy, that reviewer nailed it on the Vette.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #116
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
You're right soboy, that reviewer nailed it on the Vette.
I guarantee you that the new Corvette will have round taillights by its second model year, if not sooner.

The faithful will demand it.

What a friggin disaster the exterior styling is on this thing!

It really needs to be cleaned up. Way too busy.

They need to hire an Italian to fix it. Seriously.

edit: didn't the C6 get criticized for looking "too italian"? Now the design team has gone the other way and it's getting criticized for looking "too Japanese". Maybe they just need to call back some of the retired former Corvette teammates to clean the thing up...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #117
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,943
the whore-red interior is tolerable, the center-stack sucks dog balls, and the exterior is a wee-bit over the top.

i'll take mine in gun-metal grey.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #118
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,650
The C-6, IMHO, is a thing of beauty. C-7?

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:57 AM   #119
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,542
People have tweeked out over every little change to the "vettes as long as I remember.

The C4 wasn't "vette enough, the C5 was to angular, yada yada. (I was three when the C3 went out of production, so I missed that exchange)

I actually like the C7, round tail lights or not. Its still a V8, front engined, traverse leaf, 2 seater...and it even has a pop-top and carbon fiber.

Its Corvette enough for me.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #120
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstory View Post
the c-6, imho, is a thing of beauty. C-7?
+1

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: