Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #14296
Nitro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Hi guys

A bad day from the bikers from Southern Africa
David Reeve out with broken leg
Darrel Curtis had a huge crash, he is injuryed and lost alot of time.

Anyway here is the email from Ingo's wife

Hi all..

It’s with a sad heart that i start this letter.. David Reeve- Ingo’s Zambian team mate.. fell today just after WP4 breaking his leg. From what i know ..he is otherwise fine.. ( which is always the best news- after hearing the worst news.. being that he is out of the rally)
He was riding exceptionally well-up with the top guys from almost day 1. I am sure his heart is hurting more than his leg- it was his dream come true when he was able to gather all the finances and be accepted into Dakar 2013- and represent Zambia –as the first Zambian to ever ride the Dakar. I can honestly say.. he did them proud every kilometre of the rally.

Seems- not to be a good week for the Southern African guys.. Sarel Von Biljon the quad rider – who won his stage on Saturday- had an accident in one of the stages this week.. damaging his bike badly. By the time he got into the biviac.. he was only able to sleep for two hours ,before the next day’s stage started.
The team he is in.. fixed up his bike and got it -race ready.. but the organisers didn’t think Sarel was - race ready- after so little sleep etc. He then, had to be medically cleared-before he could start the next stage. And start ..he did... takes a lot more than that- to take a African boykie down. J go Sarel.

Ingo was soooo looking forward to todays stage.. it has always been one of his top finish’s for the day in his previous Dakar.. but unfortunately- that was not to be. A lot of riders got lost, right in the start of the stage..and our #101 was one of them.
When he called home just after 19h00- he was crying with frustration...saying he can’t believe he threw away at least half an hour on bloody getting lost.- F*k ... f*k... f*k.. .. fighting his tears. He says there were about 30 guys – all driving around in circles –trying to find the right route.
man.. this was supposed to be my day- it is the one route I have been looking forward to.- it’s a lot like the Toyota 1000 this route”

I got him to relax a bit and again reminded him.... he is fit and fine..and still in the race.. positions are not the main concern. He needs to take the bike and himself over that finish line.
I think also hearing that Dave fell and is out.. gave Ingo a fright (hence his emotions )... it being his team mate- and friend.. is heartbreaking.

Ingo added that the competition this year is unbelievably tough...blistering fast- were his words- saying – one can see that the competitors this year..are riders that were accepted for their riding ability. Whereas before Ingo had an advantage in the dunes..this year.. all the riders are dune ready. At riders briefing they were told that this is the first time in Dakar history-that so many riders are still racing. Usually come rest day- half the competitors have fallen out.. this year there were still over 70% in the race.

He is glad that it is dunes for the next couple of days.. saying he knows he won’t make up any time in the next 3 days though.. maybe one or two positions.
He came in today in a disappointing ( for him) 68th..and as it stands at the moment..23h30...he is overall 50th.

Stage 12 will take them from Fiambala.. to Copiapo.. crossing the Andes again-this time from East to West and returning to the Atacama desert. The race stage for tomorrow will be 319km and their connection part of the day is 396km. The organisers have said... –those who reach Copiapo with a perfect performance, will score big in the overall standings.

And yeeeeahhh yipppeee at laaast- a South African mentioned and interviewed tonight on TV,.. Brett Cummings.

As we head into the 3rd last day of Dakar 2013 the list stands @ 51 bikes out
12 quads out
57 cars out
10 trucks out

I have attached a pic again...unfortunately not a action packed- dirt flying pic for the men..but a pic that I think speaks 1000 words.. it is Ingo when he called home last night .Makes me realise how much he means to me...and that i am so so proud of what he is doing/done. (whatever tears were not shed for yesterdays 1st day.. i made up for- after seeing this)

Shake them... shake them.. move them all about... and get ready for stage 12...

Proudly Namibian
Lisa and birthday gal Zoe.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:57 AM   #14297
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
personally... i'm a bit dissappointed with the quality (and quantity) of the webventure photos so far this year. in past years we had hundreds, if not thousands....

...what does everyone else think?
Haven't had the time to follow the media thread this year, but the ones I saw, yes, I share your opinion. MCH ones, though... are truly amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Luis #150 is using an Atlas brace too.

I think you had to get scruted with a brace but didn't have to actually use one.
I believe at scruteneering you get a Leatt stamp, but IIRC Ned said it was just a small lecture on the advantages of using one. It is not mandatory, and Ned for instance chose not to wear it. At the scruteneerings in Lisbon there was a Leatt booth selling braces at very nice prices for pilots.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:03 AM   #14298
rallyman1978
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Good morning Dakaristas

The last few nights late ES coverage and a toddler who decided he wanted to sing ALL of last night has nearly ruined me

Time for a coffee
Old 01-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #14299
misc
dakar tracker

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
Nice! Calling Mischa to the White Courtesy Telephone...
Anyone calling?

http://trackingdakar.nl/?page=overal...type=M&list=19

I bet the list is larger including withdrawels, maybe you can let me know about the complete list so I can add them too?
misc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:06 AM   #14300
K2vodka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Very impressive indeed! You can see why she is a multi-champion; grit and skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michalCCR View Post
Laia and Miguel fought it well

Mission acomplished for Miguel Puertas
It is his ninth consecutive Dakar and the last 48 hours remind him only too well of just as exhausting a situation that he experienced on his first participation in 2004. At the time, Miguel Puertas raced to catch up time for 3 days and 3 nights before capitulating. Yesterday evening, when he arrived at the bivouac at La Rioja, Laia Sanz's water carrier was almost completely worn out. However, this time he is staying in the race. “After the day of stage 9, when I towed Laia almost right throughout the stage with a tow rope and we finished at 5 o'clock in the morning, we set off again after two hours of sleep. Due to the tiredness and because there was no longer anything at stake in the general standings, we decided to ride the stage together. We didn't have any mechanical problems, but our aim was simply to finish normally and recover to be able to get back into the pace of the race. The problem was that after 150 kilometres, the entire service core on Laia's bike (where the counters and Iritrack, amongst other things, are located) fell off. We think it was one of the falls the day before that damaged it. We attached it to Laia's camel-bag and set off again slowly. It weighs 10 kilos, so we took turns to carry it. As a result, we arrived at the bivouac at 10 PM completely exhausted. Over 48 hours and two stages, we only slept 6 hours”. After 32nd in 2010, his best result, and 63rd last year, Miguel Puertas, a Spanish air force pilot, has fulfilled his duties as an experienced and reliable water carrier. In Fiambala, he was savouring a plate of spaghetti, but also a job well done and just how far he has come since 2004 and the withdrawal in Bamako, on the 8th stage...
Whatever IT is.

www.GoCoffeeEnergy.com
K2vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:06 AM   #14301
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post

The 2 stroke man

We need more of Luis pics! Hang in there another 3 stages and get the deserved medal

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 AM   #14302
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post
Anyone calling?

I bet the list is larger including withdrawels, maybe you can let me know about the complete list so I can add them too?
Awesome job as per usual...

Now #057 needs to hit the top of the list

GO AUSSIES
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 AM   #14303
K2vodka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Ivan Jakes has a strong support team back at home
This is great! They even did photo shoot.
Whatever IT is.

www.GoCoffeeEnergy.com
K2vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:20 AM   #14304
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
Liefhebber no longer DQ-ed...

http://www.rallymaniacs.nl/2013/377-...iskwalificeerd

Hans Jos had a technical issue (chain wrapped around the sprockect) which he couldnt fix. As he was slightly off track no other riders passed by which could assist. He called home and got in touch with the organisation and Hans Jos said he would walk back to the bivvy to collect tools. This wasnt allowed as you have to stay with the bike. Some organisers came round with some tools and after 4 hours his bike was fixed (had to remove the engine to clear the chain).
By this time the stage was neutralised and he couldnt continue on track, so he headed to the next bivvy on tarmac.

The ASO honoured his appeal and he is back in.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #14305
michalCCR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Anyone calling?
I believe my list of first-timers is complete, though might be I missed someone or put someone who shouldn't be there.
29 Kurt Caselli
34 Michael Metge
39 Matt Fish
40 Riaan van Niekerk
57 Ben Grabham
61 Xavier Moreau
75 Troy O'Connor
77 Nicolas Alberto Cardona Vagnoni
78 Rafael Ernesto Eraso Anglade
79 Gustavo Adolfo Querales Malave
83 Alexander van Ginkel
85 Frederic Belloc
87 Romain Souvignet
89 Brett Cummings
92 Jeremias Israel Esquerre
95 Axel Heilenkotter
97 Michel Pythoud
102 David Gregory Reeve
103 Mario Patrao
106 Thomas Bourgin
110 Donald Hatton
111 Antonio Valero Ramos
116 Jose Israel Borrell Gonzalez
117 Josefina Gardulski
119 Mikael Despontin
128 Sten Knuiman
133 Jorge Villagra
137 Alex Busquets
140 Erick Meier von Schierenbeck
141 Patrice Massador
145 Mariano Kazmierski
146 Sjaak Martens
147 Robert van Pelt
153 Fabio Mauri
154 Patrick Beaulé
155 Juan Esteban Echeverri Meija
156 Todd Smith
159 Jorge Aguilar
160 Patrice Cabrera
161 Bruno Chichizola
162 Tim Forman
163 Martinus Huigevoort
164 Andre Hirigoyen
165 Yamir Ortiz
166 Federico Joaquin Judez Rivas
167 Juan Cruz Ortis
168 Lyndon Poskitt
170 Stefano Rampolla
171 Lorenzo Napodano
172 Luca Viglio
173 Juan Sebastian Toro
174 Lkhamaa Namchin
175 Boldbaatar Damdinkhorloo
176 Paul Jay
177 Luis Fernando Jaramillo Botero
178 Jan-Wouter Offringa
179 Jan Bastiaan Nijen Twilhaar
182 Paolo Sabbatucci
183 Pablo Quintanilla
184 Mateo Moreno Kristiansen
185 Herve Thierry
186 Kevin Muggleton
187 Leon Munsters
188 Ariel Ciampi
189 Marco Antonio Saldarriaga
190 Juan Esteban Sarmiento
191 Caspar Schellekens
193 Caspar van Heertum
194 Gilles Vanderweyen
195 César Zumarán
196 Julian Villarrubia
michalCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #14306
misc
dakar tracker

Quote:
I believe my list of first-timers is complete, though might be I missed someone or put someone who shouldn't be there.
29 Kurt Caselli
34 Michael Metge
39 Matt Fish
196 Julian Villarrubia

Thanks guys, I updated the list.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #14307
misc
dakar tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Liefhebber no longer DQ-ed...

http://www.rallymaniacs.nl/2013/377-...iskwalificeerd

Hans Jos had a technical issue (chain wrapped around the sprockect) which he couldnt fix. As he was slightly off track no other riders passed by which could assist. He called home and got in touch with the organisation and Hans Jos said he would walk back to the bivvy to collect tools. This wasnt allowed as you have to stay with the bike. Some organisers came round with some tools and after 4 hours his bike was fixed (had to remove the engine to clear the chain).
By this time the stage was neutralised and he couldnt continue on track, so he headed to the next bivvy on tarmac.

The ASO honoured his appeal and he is back in.
I was glad to see him appear on the stage and overall results. He's doing a great job, go go Hans Jos!!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #14308
Alli
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote from: buzzlightyear on Today at 12:15:52 PM
Rookies list at end of s 11: http://trackingdakar.nl/index.php?list=19&stage=11

NICE ONE buzzlightyear . am going to keep that one open as well as the main list. Thanks

Quote from: alanB on Today at 12:21:39 PM
Hell isnt the internet amazing!

We have a little debate here, which is picked up by another forum, and then some guy in Holland publishes an live Rookie Tracker

All within hours!

Ja, is bloody amazing isn't it.

If only the ASO was as quick as Mischa, he is doing a cracking job on his site, always looking for ways to improve.

My little rant: The bigger the organisation is and the more it controls things the less the public get what they want.

THANK YOU MISCHA

FROM ALL OF US AT WILLDOG.ZA.NET
Alli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #14309
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
I was glad to see him appear on the stage and overall results. He's doing a great job, go go Hans Jos!!
+1
Old 01-17-2013, 03:11 AM   #14310
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Luis #150 is using an Atlas brace too.

I think you had to get scruted with a brace but didn't have to actually use one.
I believe the rule is if you intend to use one, then you must have it scrutineered... but there is no actual requirement to use one at all.

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote