Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 AM   #91
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihon Newbie View Post
I've yet to take mine apart, but I think the preferred method is to put the wheel back on so you can wedge something in it, braced against the transmission case, to keep it from spinning while you take off the nut at the end of that shaft. I think there is another CH150 thread around here that talks about all that, as it's part of the same process you have to go through to get access to the clutch bell housing, and the roller weights in the driven face.

People have talked about needing an impact wrench to get that nut off...So be prepared to either use that or a breaker bar with the correct socket. Not something you want to round off, heh. Good luck!
I checked the roller weights last week, was able to get the nut on the housing off by wedging a long screwdriver through the fins on the cover and bracing it while I loosened the nut. They looked pretty good so I put them back and didn't replace them. I think it might be the shaft bushing and that's what I will look at next.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #92
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Decided to pull the drive unit apart finally and tonight was spent trying to loosen the nut on the clutch. No love there. Tried everything including buying an el cheapo impact wrench at HF and wasn't able to loosen that damn nut. I hit it with penetrating oil a few times and also with the torch, no luck. I'll let it sit over night and hopefully tomorrow will bring better results. How the hell do you guys loosen that sucker?

Tom Waits
Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #93
Nihon Newbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Decided to pull the drive unit apart finally and tonight was spent trying to loosen the nut on the clutch. No love there. Tried everything including buying an el cheapo impact wrench at HF and wasn't able to loosen that damn nut. I hit it with penetrating oil a few times and also with the torch, no luck. I'll let it sit over night and hopefully tomorrow will bring better results. How the hell do you guys loosen that sucker?
I'll have to double check my service manual tonight, but....Maybe it's left hand thread?
Nihon Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #94
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
I put the socket on the nut, put a breaker bar on the socket, put a 30 inch steel pipe over the breaker bar, sat on the scooter and stepped on the brake with my right foot and the pipe with my left. It's better if you have someone else step on the brake because then you won't fall off the bike when the nut turns. Use Craftsman tools so if you bust something they replace it. It's not a left thread.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #95
Nihon Newbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentwest View Post
It's not a left thread.
Thanks for that! I prefer to wedge something in the wheel to keep it from spinning. The brakes just don't have as much leverage. But, whatever works, works...
Old 02-13-2013, 03:41 AM   #96
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm borrowing a tool to hold the cover in place and then I'll use the breaker bar to get this sucker off. I was pretty sure it wasn't a reverse thread but thanks for verifying that Wentwest. It'd be easier with two people that's for sure. I'll tackle it again tonight and that suckers coming off.

Tom Waits
Old 02-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #97
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Finally! Got the clutch housing off with a spanner wrench and breaker bar. The gears look good and the axle also appears to be straight. The middle gear bearing is missing on bearing (they are rods not balls) and there is play in the axle (see video link below. The axel bearing spins freely but the play bothers me and is a problem I suspect. The bearings on the outside of the axle bearings are ball bearings and they look pretty good. It's pretty clean in there for a bike this old. Hopefully the video shows the play in the axle and that's the problem since I don't want to tear this apart without fixing the issue.

Not sure if you can see the play in the axle but it's about 1/8" at the end when I push it back and forth. Guessing that's the problem. The axle seats in nice and tight so the play is in the bearing itself.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 04:36 PM
Old 02-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #98
Nihon Newbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Video link goes to photobucket, but the video is not playing. Says "video not found"
Old 02-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #99
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihon Newbie View Post
Video link goes to photobucket, but the video is not playing. Says "video not found"
Sorry about that, you tube is messing with me and this is the only way I could link it. Anyhow, it's got play in the bearing and the axle although seating tight is able to move when I push it sideways. Seems to me the problem is that bearing.
I'll try to post on You Tube again.

Let's see if this works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdgvS...ature=youtu.be

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 04:49 PM
Old 02-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #100
Nihon Newbie
Gnarly Adventurer

That YT link works great. Unfortunately I have nothing to offer about the shaft, sorry man.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #101
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Might as well replace the bearings. They have numbers stamped on them that are standard, so you can bring the old ones to a bearing shop and get replacements. There is a step by step for this at www.ch250.net Tech Tip #30. That's where anyone with a mechanical issue on an 80's Honda scooter should start researching. It's all there.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #102
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm going to replace the bearings while I'm in there. I'm pretty sure the one on the axel needs to be replaced anyhow. Hopefully I'll get it out tomorrow.
Thanks for the link. I have the service manual and that shows how to remove the bearings, sort of.

Tom Waits
Old 02-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #103
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Since you use that Tom Waits line I think you should know. There's an urban legend here in the Berkeley area that a guy parked his car and forgot he left his accordion in full view on the back seat. When he came back to the car he saw broken glass on the ground next to the back door. Fearing the worst, he ran to the car, looked in and there were now 2 accordions on the back seat.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #104
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentwest View Post
Since you use that Tom Waits line I think you should know. There's an urban legend here in the Berkeley area that a guy parked his car and forgot he left his accordion in full view on the back seat. When he came back to the car he saw broken glass on the ground next to the back door. Fearing the worst, he ran to the car, looked in and there were now 2 accordions on the back seat.
That's what happens when you leave accordions out in plain site.

OK, I've been having some issues with the scoot and have a few more questions.

I replaced all the bearings in the gearbox a week ago. Was having issues with acceleration after doing the first fix but also had a leak on the seal using liquid gasket seal. Don't think I had that issue before messing with the gears. I've gone back in and cut a gasket and it seems to be tight but the scoot is still accelerating slow. The clutch pads looked fine and the belt also looks ok. I didn't measure the inside of the clutch housing though but it was doing ok before tearing it apart so I doubt that's the problem. Any ideas? Oil did get spewed when the liquid gasket failed but not into the clutch area.
Any chance this slippage is something that could just be ridden off by some longer rides? Maybe I got oil on something handling the clutch and belt?

Question 2: There was an over sized spark plug in the head when I bought it, the correct plug is too small to thread in. I called Honda after talking to a Napa guy this morning that said he thought the head had a thread in fitting for the plug and it could be easily replace. The Honda parts guy called up the head and said it was all one piece. When I got home I had a look and it's not, maybe someone did some sort of rework but this is what I'm seeing. Looks like I should be able to replace it and get the correct thread back in there.

Is this the way it looks stock?

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 05:38 PM
Old 03-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #105
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Sometimes the rollers in the variator get out of their seats and jam and the variator doesn't work right. If you take off the belt cover and start the engine you should be able to see the variator squeeze closed as the engine revs up, and reopen at idle. If it doesn't then take it off, take it apart and reassemble it right. You need to keep it squeezed together as you put it on the shaft, and the press it on to the shaft all the way and hold it while you slide in the big bushing. Don't force the bushing, just slide it in, then put on the belt, the outer plate, the washer and the nut.