Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #136
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Jrzyguy, this may be ridiculous, but i have an idea about the stator.

As I understand it, the excess wattage produced by the DR650s stator is shunted to ground. As in, there is something, presumably in the voltage regulator, which acts as a form of resistance but nonetheless directs the current to ground. Every action has a reaction- it is well known for example that driving pumps produces a "drag" on the engine reducing output horsepower. This is why many drag cars run underdrive pulleys or remove accessories (like air conditioning) that could potentially rob horsepower from being directed to the wheels.

The only way that an engine is going to "lose" horsepower due to extra "drag" is physical resistance to rotation- the act of generating more electrical power inherently must create more rotational resistance. And since, in this case, a high output stator that has its excess current routed through to ground (with a "load" to prevent a short), it inherently would create more rotational resistance all the time. I am an electrician by trade, but dealing primarily with microelectronics I could be completely wrong here, or might be exaggerating through ignorance the affect this stator could have.

Why is this important? More rotational resistance places more force on each bolt that holds the stator in. Perhaps the stator cover isnt designed to accommodate the extra load as small as it might be, and causes stress fractures in the cover that eventually cause the type of failure you had? Of course, it could also be a failure of the aftermarket stator.

I admit this does sound far-fetched even to me, but I am also considering you mentioned properly torquing the stator bolts and mentioned using loctite on each one- thats going above and beyond what the service manual calls for.

What is anyones thoughts on this?
I have a simple explanation. I was sure I used Loctite on the 3 mounting bolts, but I reviewed the directions I used and saw that they didn't instruct me to use thread adhesive, and therefore I didn't. For my initial installation, a Google search brought up the following address...http://www.webbikeworld.com/suzuki-d...0-watt-stator/, and I followed their instructions carefully. Seemed like a reliable source at the time. My recently purchased Clymer Manual clearly calls for "threadlock" to be applied to the mounting bolts. Bottom line...I followed poor instructions and I screwed up!

jrzyguy screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 07:14 AM
jrzyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #137
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzyguy View Post
I have a simple explanation. I was sure I used Loctite on the 3 mounting bolts, but I reviewed the directions I used and saw that they didn't instruct me to use thread adnesive, and therefore I didn't. For my initial installation, a Google search brought up the following address...http://www.webbikeworld.com/suzuki-d...0-watt-stator/, and I followed their instructions carefully. Seemed like a reliable source at the time. My recently purchased Clymer Manual clearly calls for "threadlock" to be applied to the mounting bolts. Bottom line...I followed poor instructions and I screwed up!
I see. I didnt use threadlocker because the bolts end up so tight that it seems impossible for them to back out. Take the NSU for instance- it is reasoned that the screws back out because the plastic gives over time allowing the bolts to become loose. At that point, vibration causes them to vibrate loose and fall into the motor causing catastrophic damage. I figured with the materials being completely metal all the way through, that giving wouldnt happen and it would be ok.

I will be pulling the stator cover next oil change to apply red loctite to the stator bolts I figure if I ever need to remove the stator again, it will be due to a bad stator which negates the concern of using heat in the first place.

Thanks for the response
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #138
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Breakfast in San Miguel de Allende

I walked by the Plaza Principal, known as El Jardin, on the way to breakfast. This vendor is setting up her dried flower arrangements.

A local station is filming a piece on riding tours in the SMA area.

Judging from the tour owner's expression, it appears that he'd rather be out riding!

I'll admit up front that I love coffee shops. A favorite coffee house is often where I'll stop when I'm riding through a familiar area. That said, I had one of the most enjoyable mornings in this shop, Mesa Grande. The cappuccino, people, music, and aromas made for an inviting time in an otherwise strange place.

And as you can see from my setup, I did some updating of my ride report! I'm not especially keen to jazz, but they had a fabulous jazz station playing!

This is the side of El Jardin that faces the Cathedral.

The landscaping is so full, that it's difficult to shoot through it and to show how beautifully it is laid out...with walkways, benches, and a gazebo in center. It is a well used space, where both locals and tourists either sit quietly or socialize.

I realized that I didn't share a daytime pic of the clocktower and Cathedral...so here it is!

And a daytime, departing shot of of San Miguel de Allende...I'm heading to Guanajuato via Dolores Hidalgo.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #139
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Good to see you're back on the road. Lots of great pictures . . . thanks for sharing!
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #140
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
Good to see you're back on the road. Lots of great pictures . . . thanks for sharing!
Glad to have you traveling with me!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:02 AM   #141
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
unfortunately, i found your rr via a link from your mechanical issues. then i went back to the front. love the story and the pics. i'm taking nnotes for my trip. thanks for sharing.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 AM   #142
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Sma

Hey Jim,
Glad that you got to La Mesa Grande, hands down the best coffee and Pan Chocolat in town, both of which together cost only 3 pesos more than grande latte alone at the corporate coffee store and as you found the internet connection is good. I am glad that you are back on the road. You must be in DF by now. I hope that goes well. Amazing place! I hope that we can catch up on the road when I return from Chile. Donīt miss the shrine to La Virgin de Guadalupe, Zocalo and Bosque Chapultepec. The David Siquieros mural on the first floor of Castello Chapultepec is not to be missed and there are a number of other art treasures. Going up to the top of the Latin American Tower is worth the price of admission to grasp the scale of DF. It is across kitty corner from the Bellas Artes. The Anthropology Museum was closed the Monday I was there but it is one of the world greats.

David
Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #143
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
unfortunately, i found your rr via a link from your mechanical issues. then i went back to the front. love the story and the pics. i'm taking nnotes for my trip. thanks for sharing.
Enjoy your trip planning...my father told me that planning is half the fun...I think he had something there! Other riders helped me with their RR's...glad to pass it on!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #144
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Dolores Hidalgo Redux

Cruised into the Centro Historico, right to the plaza in Dolores Hidalgo. And again, there is so much going on there!

I was going to get a shine...

but I got lost in conversation with my new best friend!

This statue, in the middle of the plaza, is Miguel Hidalgo, the parish priest credited with starting the Mexican Revolution in 1810.

This street musician is singing the blues...I love seeing colorful characters. He couldn't sing or play worth a darn, but I gave him an "A" for trying!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #145
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Dolores Hidalgo

Great photos Jim. What a face the man in shoeshine chair has. I will have to get to DH next time. Canīt wait to see and hear your impressions of DF.

Carry on!

David
Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #146
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Hope you liked Dolores Hidalgo

If you decide to accept the challenge of DF......I recomend you have lunch on the terrazza of the Grand Hotel Ciudad de Mexico....it is on the corner of the Zocolo. The ceiling of the hotel is all stained glass.....on the next street over, about a block and a half down from the Zocolo is a little restaurant pub that has a whole in the ceiling where Panco Villa left by shooting off his gun. I wish I could remember the name.....if you are interested maybe some of the locals could point you in the right direction.
Keep posting the great pictures!

RW66 screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 05:18 PM Reason: Add a word
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #147
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Great photos Jim. What a face the man in shoeshine chair has. I will have to get to DH next time. Canīt wait to see and hear your impressions of DF.

Carry on!

David
Thanks Dave. I'm a few days behind with my report, but I can tell you that Mexico City made a strong impression!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #148
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzyguy View Post
... Mexico City made a strong impression!
The air?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #149
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
I hope to be home in Ajijic, Jalisco around the first of Feb. If you are near, feel free to give me a call. I will ride with you to our Pueblos Majico Mazamitla y Tapalpa.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #150
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Mexico City or The Bermuda Triangle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
The air?
To Dave W and Dave O,

Ah, the Mexico City question. I was going to cover this topic chronologically in my report, but now will work just as well.

My experience riding and navigating in Mexico City could be likened to entering the Bermuda Triangle. I have never been in similar situation where all of my acquired skills with direction finding, GPS reading, and map use were worth absolutely zero. The traffic is heavy, but the riding wasn't a problem. The roads are so complex, with numerous options for the correct turn, that it is like throwing dice. It took me 4 to 5 hours to get out of the city and onto 95 heading to Taxco. During that time, I have no idea where I was or where I was going...and I was moving at all times. I have seldom been in a situation where I didn't know which way was north...the sun still comes up in the east and that didn't help. It was a new and incredibly disorienting experience...and I'm not going back unless I'm with someone that knows where they're going...period.