Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Found the Makkinen vid

Old 01-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #14327
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
dakar com

At 4.15 AM local time, the starting time for the first biker, yesterday's winner Kurt Caselli led out the cortege along the ling stage via Paso San Francisco to return to Chile. 130 bikes have been authorised to start today. After a 392-km link stage, the bikes will tackle a 319-km special finishing in the valley of Copiapo.

With race number 40 on his bib, Riaan Van Niekerk is 13th, among the names that have resonated at the forefront of the Dakar over the last few days. He has been discrete, and the secret of his position is his consistency. He is one of the leading names on the South African endurance circuit, but his first Dakar could prove to be exceptional. The experience of Australian Rodney Faggotter is not much more extensive, but he also features in a very respectable 15th place, ahead of Jeremias Israel Esquerre and Ben Grabham, two men who have shone, to varying degrees, on the Dakar 2013.

After twentieth place, the battle is more intense. Frenchman Michael Metge currently holds this much sought after position, but behind him 10 competitors are grouped within an interval of less than an hour. In this commando, the most threatening rivals are Darryl Curtis, Stefan Svitko or Pablo Rodriguez. Joan Barreda is also part of this group, whose rear is brought up by Americain Kurt Caselli, the winner of yesterday's stage. Alain Duclos, the leading Sherco rider, and Marc Guasch, Gas-Gas team leader, also feature in this group.

There are riders, in the majority, who are taking part in the colours of KTM, Honda or Yamaha... And then there are the others, whose steeds, less common in the bivouac, attract attention. In 37th, Portugal's Mario Patrao is one of them. With his Suzuki RMZ 450 Rally, he looks like he will finish the Dakar on his very first participation: the finish is not far now... This is also what Swedish rider Thomas Berglund must be saying, on his very rare Husaberg. However, he will be frustrated at the finish, since he rubbed shoulders with the top 20 in 2007 and 2010...
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #14328
yammie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamingeagle3 View Post
Hi all

will try to kech up,as soon as i figure out where i left it
Then you have most of it left i guess..
yammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #14329
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Yep, as most liaison are on public roads, all vehicles must be road legal under the laws of the jurisdiction of the origin country.
Same as in WRC, I think I remember Colin McRae losing a rally because the Police stopped him at the liaison with a badly damaged wheel. They didn't let him return to the service zone.
By that regulation, you'll never see a quad or side by side entry from Canada. No fricking way to plate them.

Even a 450RR is a big problem, I don't know what Pat did, but by the books, he cannot plate it.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 AM   #14330
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1978 View Post
[anorak] Tommi Makkinen RAC Rally 1998 [/anorak]

So how does a rider with a completely borked rear tyre get away with it?
Not to mention the size of the number plates on the UK registered bikes... yes of course they are all 9" x 7"

MY BLOG
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #14331
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
By that regulation, you'll never see a quad or side by side entry from Canada. No fricking way to plate them.

Even a 450RR is a big problem, I don't know what Pat did, but by the books, he cannot plate it.
Loopholes?

Nasser's bugly had a California plate.....he's not from Cali, is he?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #14332
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1978 View Post
[anorak] Tommi Makkinen RAC Rally 1998 [/anorak]

So how does a rider with a completely borked rear tyre get away with it?
I guess you dont come face to face with the police, or if you do you outrun them
Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #14333
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Tv coverage for today:

Fr4 1840 cet, 1240 est

Es1 1830 gmt, 1330 est

Es1 2300 gmt, 1800 est. Yeah, right.

Fr2 0105 cet, 1905 est

And to all those folks that thank me for this, thank myways instead. He came up with the info, I just barfback everyday is all.

He did the important work.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #14334
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
Loopholes?

Nasser's bugly had a California plate.....he's not from Cali, is he?
Just no way for him to plate it in Canada, legally. Easier for us to plate it in NC than home, strangely enough.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #14335
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Just no way for him to plate it in Canada, legally. Easier for us to plate it in NC than home, strangely enough.
There's ways to get it done...an inmate here in GA even has a Razor side by side tagged with AZ plates......
Old 01-17-2013, 05:15 AM   #14336
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

It's kinda screwy that Chile, while being south of Peru, is following the same time zone as Argentina, which goes east to the Atlantic. And Chile is on the Pacific...

Makes our lives easier, though. I really like these timings. They've about got the liason done by the time I get my first coffee down. *sip*
Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #14337
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,844
Morning folks. I'm surprised, as I assume the ASO is that the attrition rate is so low this year. Maybe the next two days of Copiapo dunes will be tough.

Some great inspirational stories this year along with some fun conspiracies. The race at the front has been exceptional, I don't recall when the top three positions have swapped around on a nightly basis like they have this year. It has settled down now but for a while there it seemed like anyones race, awesome.

So a cold, long mountain pass then into some blistering hot sand. The sand mountains around Copiapo are truly impressive, these are the stages I've been waiting to see. Today has all the making of another epic day.

GO!!!! Lyndon!!!!

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:17 AM   #14338
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
There's ways to get it done...an inmate here in GA even has a Razor side by side tagged with AZ plates......
We can import from the US any vehicle pretty much.

Except for any KTM 07 and up. Go figure.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #14339
michalCCR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
So, our four strong Slovak campaign has been three days before the finish reduced to just one last Mohycan.
Števo Svitko has decided to withdraw from the rally after yesterday's heavy fall. He's cut and bruised all over the body.
Ivan Jakeš is now going for the best ever Slovak result. And it's not as I don't root for Chaleco, but I hope Ivan is going to make those 5 minutes he loses for a podium.
michalCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #14340
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
personally... i'm a bit dissappointed with the quality (and quantity) of the webventure photos so far this year. in past years we had hundreds, if not thousands of photos with a high percentage of them being "amazing"... this year, the quality and uniqueness of the photos seems a bit below webventure's historical "par". we get lots of good & great shots, and lots of repeat shots (the same shot with different vehicles) but not as many "amazing" or "jaw dropping" shots as in past years. the numbers don't lie... we're about to start stage 12, and there have been just under 700 total photos made public on webventure's site. last year, for example, there were the following 1409 bike related photos at the end of the rally. at the rate they're going, i doubt we'll break half that (for the bikes)

maybe i'm jaded from working at SmugMug, with all the amazing photography i see on a daily basis... but i almost feel as if (a) the quality is down this year, or (b) they're not releasing the best shots to the public, but keeping them to sell to the competitors as part of the photo packages that they sign up for at scruitineering. i think it's almost definitly (b)... i really hope it's not (a).

what does everyone else think?
I agree, their quality this year is markedly down, Im sure diffrent photographers different situation. Webventure has become a wildy successful business, and knowing the founders from 2010, Im sure they have their focus on other things right now.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote