Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #121
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
I'm betting any 'low resale' trend with triumphs will start reversing, as they are continually improving their line-up and reputation.
Already happening.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #122
Daytrader
Missin' Texas

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
I am interested in one. My only concerns are: Will it wheelie like a KTM SMT, or a Multistrada? Does it cost like the KTM (around 13-14K), Is it as light (or close) as either? And, does it have the range (200-300 miles) I am looking for? Is it *comfortable* for both rider and passenger? With V-Strom 650's and left over 1000's going for around $10k, a $3k premium for one of these bikes is not out of the question for many buyers.
These questions will all be answered shortly after it arrives here, in the US.
I am no longer concerned with Triumph's overall reliability or dealership network. They seem to be as good, or better than any other manufacturer now.
I owned an older (1998) Triumph 885 triple, and while the engine was a gem, it was a heavy lump. Top heavy, at that.
So it is coming here? Everything I read says it isn't.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #123
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,100
Even if it did come stateside, my nearest dealer is an hour away. They have two 1050's in stock....both 2011 models...new.
chadhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #124
3sum
local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhargis View Post
Even if it did come stateside, my nearest dealer is an hour away. They have two 1050's in stock....both 2011 models...new.
An hour which way from Florence? I'm fairly familiar with NE Alabama.
IBA #8759
3sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #125
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrader View Post
So it is coming here? Everything I read says it isn't.
Greg is a Motorcycle guy as is John Bloor. It will be brought here to the states... Just don't get your hopes up too high for this year.

On a side note Team Latus will be fielding a flat tracker Triumph this year as well as having Desalvo back in the saddle of the 675 in AMA Sport Bike.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #126
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sum View Post
An hour which way from Florence? I'm fairly familiar with NE Alabama.
Dealer is in Decatur. About a 50 minute drive from my house. They don't show any 2012 1050's in inventory. Oddly enough, the Harley dealer in Tuscumbia is showing about 4 2010 Ulysses in stock, one is a police model.
chadhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #127
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Greg is a Motorcycle guy as is John Bloor. It will be brought here to the states... Just don't get your hopes up too high for this year.

On a side note Team Latus will be fielding a flat tracker Triumph this year as well as having Desalvo back in the saddle of the 675 in AMA Sport Bike.

The Triumph guy at the NYC motorcycle show said it wasn't coming here, because Triumph didn't want to "dilute" the pool of customers for the 800 and 1200 Tigers. Personally, I don't think it competes with them, apples and oranges if you will. I'm retiring in June of 2014, and would love to buy one of these for a life on the bike from that point forward. The Trophy is an awesome bike, but this one is perfect for one-up long distance touring I think, and my riding gear is all red & black, so that is great too. If anyone can give me more than rumors from which to cling for the next year and a half, it would be great!
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #128
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Went to a local dealer today. They said we wont see the sport in the states. He also said "Thank god!" Because apparently the older 1050 tiger was hard to move, at least around here. I told him that was the only triumph id consider in the current line up. Well, the trophy is just amazing, but id never let myself write that check.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:25 AM   #129
LostViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
It Figures

I liked the look of this one,

So it stands to reason it won't be coming stateside.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #130
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

It will be sold here. Just not yet. Triumph is doing well. The reason they are doing well is that they are building great bikes and making smart decisions. They are still a small segment of the overall bike market here in the states but they are working hard to change that.

Triumphs plan is to become #1 across the pond while they continue to grow their market share here and in Asia. It takes time. The New Trophy was just launched here as well as the New Street Triple. Last year it was the Explorer...Before that the 800's. They are moving forward.

If I were to guess... It will be about a year from now and if that is missed look for it a year from August.

Unless the economy takes a complete crap (which may happy with the fools we have in DC) There is no way that they will not bring 1050 here.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #131
3sum
local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer: 128
And here's what the sales rep I've been talking with at my (not at all) local dealer said to me yesterday. I was debating between a Sprint GT/ST and the 800/1200 Tiger and threw in a question about the Sport to see if he'd tell me more than he did the day after the Sport was made official 'over there'.

He told me that his dealer rep informed him that Triumph has a bunch of 1050 engines sitting there and brought the Sport out as a one year run to exhaust those engines with zero plans to bring it Stateside. I call bullshit on that. You could arguably say they might have taken the SSA from the Speed Triple and tossed it on, but why go through the tooling to redo the headlights, the mounting for the sidecases, and whatever else they changed.

I'm thinking I might try to find this rep's email or something to contact him directly if possible. I can't see why they'd do it as a one year thing. Keep it over in Europe? Maybe, but that's a lot of BS for a one year run.
IBA #8759
3sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #132
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
I agree with you. It doesn't seem like spending new money to update a design would produce enough of a return. Also, aren't there changes internally to the engines, which would mean disassembling all those 1050s in storage and rebuilding them?
I can understand why a dealer would want to sell what they have on the floor, and try to eliminate any interest in what may be coming down the line, but sometimes they seem to be poorly-informed, or deliberately dishonest. I would rather hear "It is impossible to predict the future, and I won't just give you rumors" rather than speculation that is presented as fact. Personally, dishonesty is dishonesty, and I'm not sure that I would buy a bike from a dealer who gives out false info. It's like the guy who asks the pretty woman at the bar if she would spend the night with him for a million dollars? She hesitates only a moment before saying yes. He then buys her a drink and asks if she would spend the night with him for fifty dollars? She replies "What do you think I am?", and he says "we have already established that...I am just dickering on the price".
I sure hope this bike makes it stateside.

ssevy screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 01:30 PM
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #133
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
I agree with you. It doesn't seem like spending new money to update a design would produce enough of a return. Also, aren't there changes internally to the engines, which would mean disassembling all those 1050s in storage and rebuilding them?
The specs of the new tiger sport engine I think match the Sprint GT specs. But it sounds like BS to me. It sounds a little strange for a company to have that large of an overstock of engines. They would just build out existing models. After nixing the Sprint GT and the Tiger 1050, both of which would now be overlaping other models, this put a perfect in the middle replacement. If anything happens to my GT, I'm hoping this Tiger is already stateside.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #134
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 704
The 1050 motor will not make EURO 2016 complience. It's at the end of it's rope. It'll be gone soon enough.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #135
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
The specs of the new tiger sport engine I think match the Sprint GT specs. But it sounds like BS to me. It sounds a little strange for a company to have that large of an overstock of engines. They would just build out existing models. After nixing the Sprint GT and the Tiger 1050, both of which would now be overlaping other models, this put a perfect in the middle replacement. If anything happens to my GT, I'm hoping this Tiger is already stateside.
When the 955 motor rolled out, the 885 inventory was mostly "used up" in the Tiger for a few more years.

When the 1050 motor rolled out in '05, the 955 inventory was mostly "used up" in the Tiger for a couple more years.

See a pattern?

A little research and a lot of anecdotal evidence indicates the Tiger 1050 pretty much sold like crap in North America, and there are still new stock 2010 and 2011 models floating around out there.

On the other hand, the Tiger 1050 did a bit better than OK sales in the UK (which likes "standard" bikes much better than North America, since for many it's not a summer hobby, it's year-round basic transportation) and the Tiger 1050 also sold moderately well in Europe.

Just simple economics, US dealers really don't WANT more Tiger 1050's (or Sprints), as they can't sell the ones they have already, and the ones they did sell were often sold at cost, usually with significant "help" from Triumph in the form of rebates or accessory credits, which doesn't really help Triumph out at all. So why export a model to the US that won't sell here?
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote