ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #6601
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The shorter, the better, in my experience. Longer ones tend to vibrate more.
I found with mine that a longer one, 100mm? works better because I can rotate the u bolt clamp on the handlebar away and until the arm sits on the clamp at the right angle. Then it doesn't move down any more because it can't. With the shorter arm that I also have, it can move around on the move and I'm often tightening the clamp through the day. This was with the 60CSX and seems to be the same with the Montana. The end position of the GPS is the same, but the way I did makes it more stable with the longer arm. Suppose you want a picture now?
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #6602
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I found with mine that a longer one, 100mm? works better because I can rotate the u bolt clamp on the handlebar away and until the arm sits on the clamp at the right angle. Then it doesn't move down any more because it can't. With the shorter arm that I also have, it can move around on the move and I'm often tightening the clamp through the day. This was with the 60CSX and seems to be the same with the Montana. The end position of the GPS is the same, but the way I did makes it more stable with the longer arm. Suppose you want a picture now?
That's with your DR, right?

I did end up with a 4" arm on my DR but my GS has the short one as seen here.



This length is stable - and still allows me to rotate the gps from Landscape to Portrait mode, depending on if I'm traveling North/South or East/West.

Actually, pictures never lie. I use the short arm on my DR as well.

__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #6603
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Central Alberta Canada
Oddometer: 184
CNNA Lifetime Update to Montana

Just got my CNNA 2013.30 installed via DVD & Garmin site for latest map. Then activated my Lifetime Map Update card, but for some reason I am unable to Activate it to the Montana. After selecting 'Add Device' button on MyGarmin then selecting the Montana, the next screen Just says I have the latest Maps & to Download 'Garmin Express' which I did & installed. I also D/L Garmin Lifetime Updater which says that it doesn't have Lifetime Updates linked to it!.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that in the Products Registration it shows the Montana with software 3.90, but on the Montana 'About' shows 4.60

I am at a loss, anyone have ideas how to fix/? or I have to call Garmin tomorrow.

Thanks
__________________
I Just Like To Ride
'03 BMW R1150GSA
'06 BMW K1200LT
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #6604
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I found with mine that a longer one, 100mm? works better because I can rotate the u bolt clamp on the handlebar away and until the arm sits on the clamp at the right angle. Then it doesn't move down any more because it can't. With the shorter arm that I also have, it can move around on the move and I'm often tightening the clamp through the day. This was with the 60CSX and seems to be the same with the Montana. The end position of the GPS is the same, but the way I did makes it more stable with the longer arm. Suppose you want a picture now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
That's with your DR, right?
Yep

A pic:


I haven't ridden with the Montana yet, only got the mount sorted yesterday, but using the Magellan Explorist XL which is bigger and heavier I found this setup to be more stable, but of course YMMV.

The arm can't drop because its sitting on the clamp, only the rugged mount can, but it just seems to work better like this for me.
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #6605
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
I am at a loss, anyone have ideas how to fix/? or I have to call Garmin tomorrow.
Phoning Garmin is what I'd do. It really doesn't take long to get through and they have always been very pleasant and helpful when I called.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #6606
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
The arm can't drop because its sitting on the clamp, only the rugged mount can, but it just seems to work better like this for me.
I've never had the arm move on my bikes. Maybe it's a temperature thing? When it gets really hot, the RAM balls tend to soften, but when it gets that hot around here, we usually stay home if we can.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 AM   #6607
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,341
Anyone tried out Garmin Express yet?

http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #6608
Red Barron
Adventurer
 
Red Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Decatur, TX
Oddometer: 24
Garmin Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Anyone tried out Garmin Express yet?

http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html
The program worked completely with my Nuvi but crashed when trying to backup the Montana.
__________________
Always do the right thing. You never know if you will get another opportunity.
Red Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #6609
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barron View Post
The program worked completely with my Nuvi but crashed when trying to backup the Montana.
It backed up my Montana but is stalled at "Downloading file 38 of 215" in the Map Update. Been sitting at that all day. I restarted a couple of times but that made no difference. Looks like it has potential but it would be better if it either said it does not support models other than the Nuvi, Zumo and Dezl, or supported other models properly. It's probably a little early to pronounce judgment since it's very new. Might even be a Beta, for all I know.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #6610
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Central Alberta Canada
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It backed up my Montana but is stalled at "Downloading file 38 of 215" in the Map Update. Been sitting at that all day. I restarted a couple of times but that made no difference. Looks like it has potential but it would be better if it either said it does not support models other than the Nuvi, Zumo and Dezl, or supported other models properly. It's probably a little early to pronounce judgment since it's very new. Might even be a Beta, for all I know.
Just got off the phone with Garmin, I asked about Express & use with the Montana. He said that he hadn't tested it with the Montana & that it was put out for the Nuvi & suggested I stick with LifeTime Map Updater.

On another note on my issue (#6620) with the 'Lifetime Map Update' not activating, that is because when I installed CNNA 2013.30 from the Garmin site I already have the latest map. So I have to wait till the next map update before I'll be able to activate it to the Montana.
__________________
I Just Like To Ride
'03 BMW R1150GSA
'06 BMW K1200LT
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #6611
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
Just got off the phone with Garmin, I asked about Express & use with the Montana. He said that he hadn't tested it with the Montana & that it was put out for the Nuvi & suggested I stick with LifeTime Map Updater.
My Montana never did complete the map update so I plugged my Nuvi 780 in and Express saw it, but could not see the Garmin site so it didn't do anything to the 780 though there was a software update. I ran WebUpdater on the 780 and it updated it very quickly.

Maybe the servers at Garmin aren't ready for Express?
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #6612
shu
...
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but where are you putting the Tempes when riding? Jacket pocket, on the bike somewhere?

With this recent discussion, I've just ordered one to play with with my new Montana, which still isn't sorted. Supposedly a new LiIon battery enroute.
I've got mine clipped to my GPS tether, which is attached to my handlebar. It seems to work fine there (temps are similar/equal to various temperature signs outside banks etc. around town.) I tried carrying it in a jacket pocket and found body heat affected the readings about 5* F on cold days.

............shu
shu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #6613
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 258
One of the things I don't like about my Montana is the lack of Bluetooth. I have found a solution. It's called the GoGroove BlueSense TRM Bluetooth Transmitter. It plugs into the audio input jack on the Ram mount wiring and syncs up with no problem to my Bluetooth equipped helmet. Now I can hear the alerts from the GPS in my helmet.

The only problem is charging. Until I install a USB charging port on my bike, I have to remember to unplug the transmitter and bring it inside to charge.

It would have been better if the Montana came with Bluetooth but this is a good fairly cheap (less than $30) work around.

Chad

ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #6614
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer
 
Rocky TFS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by samueleuk View Post
Thanks a lot. This is very useful. Why the medium arm? Sam
Uh, because it was in that package I linked to.....

I actually have the short arm, so I must have either asked them to change it out, or ordered separately. It was a year and a half ago and I can't remember, so that's my story and I'm stickin to it!
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #6615
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything
 
snooker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadHahn View Post
One of the things I don't like about my Montana is the lack of Bluetooth. I have found a solution. It's called the GoGroove BlueSense TRM Bluetooth Transmitter. It plugs into the audio input jack on the Ram mount wiring and syncs up with no problem to my Bluetooth equipped helmet. Now I can hear the alerts from the GPS in my helmet.

The only problem is charging. Until I install a USB charging port on my bike, I have to remember to unplug the transmitter and bring it inside to charge.

It would have been better if the Montana came with Bluetooth but this is a good fairly cheap (less than $30) work around.

Chad

Very interesting, thanks!
__________________
Baja 2012 Ride Report ~~~ My 07 BMW G650 XCountry Thread | 03 Honda Shadow ACE 750 | 99 Honda XR400 ~~~

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014