Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #9796
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_337 View Post
Hopefully, after taking the Motorcycle Safety class, he will be riding with his 'ol man this summer
Good stuff!
Lupin 3rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #9797
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
140 and 150mm tires on a Dakar?

I thought I posted this but maybe lost it.

What is the largest tire you were able to put on a Dakar 17" Wheel w/no problems. Just looking because other than upgrading to an 18" Wheel I am curious what's out there. Some of the tires I've gotten in the 130 range are drastically different in width visually.
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #9798
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad View Post
Well, now

It was about this time that the insurance rang and said due to the amount of time underwater the bike would have to be written off, not just written off tho, oh no. I did a proper job on the bike. Cat A write off = has to be crushed

Did you tell the insurance company to stuff it? Can't you buy it back from them or something? That sucks!
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #9799
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
I thought I posted this but maybe lost it.

What is the largest tire you were able to put on a Dakar 17" Wheel w/no problems. Just looking because other than upgrading to an 18" Wheel I am curious what's out there. Some of the tires I've gotten in the 130 range are drastically different in width visually.
i ran a 140 on the rear no problems. i actually have a 180 on the rear now but thats a whole other story!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #9800
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,046
Hidenau K60 140 works well as an intermediate tyre for those times dirt is scarce, Have also run a full dunlop dirt 140 and it was very good, but very soft, cant recall exactly which one but concluded in general a 140 rear was better than 130. The conti TKC 140 block spacing looks too wide though
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #9801
mischief
misadventurer

Oddometer: 481
I have a k60 140-80 on mine but I think a 150 would rub the chain guard
Old 01-17-2013, 03:39 AM   #9802
wiz.au
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
140 rear tyre

A guy I respect quite well advised me that sometimes if you put a tyre too large on the back, it makes the bike harder to turn. He put a larger tyre on his Tenere 660(?) and went back to the smaller stock size tyre. His other bike is a KTM400 I think. But he can ride...really ride....makes me look like I'm stuck in first gear.

Having said that I have run a K60 and a E09Dakar in 140 on my F650, and I think it's fine...but I probably wouldn't really know until I tried a smaller tyre again.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #9803
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Thanks all. Appreciate the tire viewpoints.
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #9804
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Going to be doing fork seals tomorrow. Last time i did them, I used the F650.com FAQ, disassembling them completely and cleaning them out.

Does anyone know if I can do a quick one by just ramming a screwdriver thru the seal and ripping it out?? Or is that bushing in the way??

Ive done a lot of seals on engines and transmissions that way, just dont know if the bushing sits too close behind the seal to let that work...

While Im at it...on my KLR, which has a schraeder valve in the fork cap, I changed seals by airing them up until the seals blew out. Was thinking of having valves put in the caps on my Dakar for that, and tuning, reasons. Any thoughts on whether or not that would work?? Seems to me that the forks on the two bikes are similar enough that it should.

Thanks.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #9805
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Going to be doing fork seals tomorrow. Last time i did them, I used the F650.com FAQ, disassembling them completely and cleaning them out.

Does anyone know if I can do a quick one by just ramming a screwdriver thru the seal and ripping it out?? Or is that bushing in the way??

Ive done a lot of seals on engines and transmissions that way, just dont know if the bushing sits too close behind the seal to let that work...
I'd say that you'd be running a huge risk of scratching or damaging the fork tubes by doing it that way. I'd suggest doing it the "right way" and disassembling the forks.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 AM   #9806
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post

While Im at it...on my KLR, which has a schraeder valve in the fork cap, I changed seals by airing them up until the seals blew out. Was thinking of having valves put in the caps on my Dakar for that, and tuning, reasons. Any thoughts on whether or not that would work?? Seems to me that the forks on the two bikes are similar enough that it should.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
I'd say that you'd be running a huge risk of scratching or damaging the fork tubes by doing it that way. I'd suggest doing it the "right way" and disassembling the forks.
I concur... it's not a biggy to strip them. On one particullar effort I happened to be on a mission ( to make a ride start time)and stripped and rebuilt both legs in 35min in a workshop environment... normal time is usually around one hour not including slipping them off the bike.

They were not this dirty though

ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #9807
WERA456
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
180??!!! Can you tell me how? I have a bunch of sport bike tires I would love to use as commuters. Is this an easy Job? I am guessing you changed out the swing arm? Can you post a link to your a write up or something.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
i ran a 140 on the rear no problems. i actually have a 180 on the rear now but thats a whole other story!
WERA456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:15 AM   #9808
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad View Post
Rode the bike to work one Monday morning and got caught up in a flood, i ended up swimming in full bike gear, defiantly not an experience i would recommend to anyone, I'm pretty lucky to have got out of that one
Glad you managed to get back on dry land

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #9809
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA456 View Post
180??!!! Can you tell me how? I have a bunch of sport bike tires I would love to use as commuters. Is this an easy Job? I am guessing you changed out the swing arm? Can you post a link to your a write up or something.
thanks
this is a lot of work but i squeezed a 180-80-14 tw200 wheel in the stock swingarm.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #9810
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

i have a whole writeup on my dakar putting the 180 on the rear and 4.60x18 front tire in this section under kubiaks tw650 build.