User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #16
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,413
Soldering on

I ordered a Firestone Graspic from TireRack last night may have been bad decision or maybe not ! I hope for a neutral steer tire. Here's a review http://tires.about.com/od/buyers_gui...Snow-Tires.htm
I'll post an image of it next to the 135/R15 Nankang I'm planning on running it till its warm again as here in the midwest our secondary roads are mushy till June and the pavement has sand in every corner unless Apiril showers are cooperative.DB

Steer tire : sidecar rigs have way more in common with trucks than motorcycles !
Old 01-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Speedo drives FYI

The wide one on the right is a 17" 1150rt the left one which has same spacing as the GS front axle is from 1100rt if your changing wheels on one of the 11** series you need a the narrow one.DB
Old 01-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #18
ildahl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Here are mine on my K1100LT[IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ildahl screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 05:15 PM
ildahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
Dave, we actually use a double row bearing on both sides of the front wheels. This type of bearing will handle the angular loading that a sidecar rig wheel gets. The left side bearing on the 1100/1150 wheels and both bearings on the 1200 model is the same special item that BWM uses for the upper fork bearing on Oilheads.
Great advice there Stroker .My brother riding my sidecar found out the hard way that the small bearing was not up to it .Not good when he was 2000km away from a workshop .He was lucky i had a spare bearing in the tool box .

We are running a 180 80 15 rear motor bike tyre or a 165 80 15 car tyre on the front.
Great in the sand with a wider front tyre .

Cheers Ian
pops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #20
Stroker
motorcycle traveler

Oddometer: 154
axial load bearing

Howdy Pops, great photos of a serious rig. Is that the front wheel that you posted in process photos of awhile back? I was wondering how it would hold up when following your thread. The car tires probably put more load on the bearings than the stock wheel. How many miles did you brother have on the his front wheel when the bearing let go? I always had bearing failures with my car-wheeled hot-rod Harley rig years ago until switching to double row bearings on the front and Timkens on the rear. My BMW rig sees much more abuse than the Harley ever did, so I figured on using a heavy duty bearing from the start on the Beemer wheels.
Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #21
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
Howdy Pops, great photos of a serious rig. Is that the front wheel that you posted in process photos of awhile back? I was wondering how it would hold up when following your thread. The car tires probably put more load on the bearings than the stock wheel. How many miles did you brother have on the his front wheel when the bearing let go? I always had bearing failures with my car-wheeled hot-rod Harley rig years ago until switching to double row bearings on the front and Timkens on the rear. My BMW rig sees much more abuse than the Harley ever did, so I figured on using a heavy duty bearing from the start on the Beemer wheels.
Not real sure on the km on the front bearings Stroker ,around 15000 to 20000km i think ?as after i took them out when i was making the new wheel i gave them a good clean and greased them up they felt ok to use again . The new set was put into the tool box for when we needed them.
This front wheel is the one where i cut the original hub in half and bolted both sides to a 15x31/2 mag wheel .It is still working great no problems .
The first front steel wheel i made was to heavy and did not end up to good it was to hard to balance . ,

Cheers Ian
pops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #22
Stroker
motorcycle traveler

Oddometer: 154
Pops wheel

Pops, Nice job on that front wheel! You really can't beat those Centerline rims for a place to start when making a wheel for a sidecar rig. They are much stronger than a cast aluminum rim and if damaged can be "massaged' back into shape to get you home. We flycut the mounting faces for the hubs on both sides of the rim to insure true running brake rotors. Cheers
Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #23
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

The Fun Never Stops

THere it is 135/80 Nankang vs 145/65 Firestone Graspic about a 1/4 inch clearance each side in my 1150 fork axle center is 10.5" off the ground handles like a sports car, I see now why the EML's still command so damn much money car wheels work on pavement.DB

Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #24
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Better

My switch to 65 profile tires front and rear left me with a lowered front end, it handled fine but level is better,I'm straightening up the wiring harness under the tank ( I had ABSi removed and battery is on sidecar frame) so I thought the front should have some attention. I had a put a 12-56 spring on the Ohlins but had not preloaded it at all so first off I gave it a 1/4" of preload then placed a 3/8" spacer on top of shock walla the subframe is level. I think I'm going to remove part of my spacer and put the fatter than I realized rubber washer back between the shock top and the steering head casting. My front shock is Ohlins the top mounting is a stud it can be easily replaces with a longer one if I need a thicker spacer.DB
Old 02-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #25
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Tire test

I got out for a little tire testing finally 35 degrees still ice under 6-7" of wet snow in unplowed area's. Continental wintercontact worked very well.

As long as one modulated throttle it kept trying even when we got down to the ice, it kept chewing till I packed enough snow under rig to hang it up.
The Firestone/Dunlop Graspic whatever wasn't as bad as I figure it would be as long as I kept my turning arcs reasonable she held on like grim death.I think a Karoo or TKC would be better as I wouldn't be pushing such a big footprint, but all and all this will probably be a acceptable all around combination.
I still am amazed at he handling on pavement there's no substitute for a larger tire contact patch and a swaybar.DB
Claude thanks again !!!!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #26
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

More info not sure how important but info none the less

Sitting level 135/80/15 front 175/65/15 rear

Continental 19" tkc and a 145/80/15 the half gone tkc is only about 112/" larger than the unmounted 145/80

The above pair are the tkc and the 145/80/15

The axle is 12" off floor with bikes weight 135/80/15 the tkc with no load is 13 1/2" to the floor

I almost forgot the 145/65 Dunlop Graspic vs the 135/80 nankang, and largest of all was a 19"Metzler Lazar 110/80/19.

davebig screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 04:00 PM Reason: Finish the post
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #27
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Dave, as seen on your pictures, you have about 2 inches difference, in betwwen the 19" OEM front tire with TKC 80 and the 15" Sstoker rim with the 145 car tire., So your front end has dropped by about 2" (cause the rear car tire has the same height as the OEM 17" MC tire)

So my question: How important to have a level bike (your seems level) for the handling of the rig, or do you have to raise the front and or lower the back.
I'm asking because one of my neighbour get the Stroker 2 car wheels set up (not mounted yet), and we were both brainstorming about the importance or no to have a level bike, with no satisfied answer.
twintwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #28
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Rocket Science ? Probably not

Didier
I didn't get my earlier post finished and really should have added one more image I seem to have lost.I've driven this same setup with the 145/65 Dunlop smallest widest front and it was very sporty handling on pavement and gravel.I've driven it with worn out 19" Metzler Tourance that went away very fast in the front, didn't like this much at all. !9"Metzler Lazar 120/80 very nice way better than worn Tourance but not enough tread for anything but pavement and taller than tkc. Best all around compromise is the 135/80 Nankang pictured on the bike, I have not tried the 145/80 yet.I took a tire groover to the 135 trying to make her bite a little harder in the soft bits, I've added even more than in the below image.
Onward and forward,thru all this up and down the sidecar frame has never gotten any more than half a bubble out of level on a 48" level lay across it. DB

Just in case I haven't made it clear big tire patches and auto tires are great !!!!!! But!!!!!! When the chair tire starts pushing wet heavy snow your about to get stuck.But what the hell I'm not a Uralista and Urals sure have there place.DB

davebig screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 04:24 PM
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #29
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Front wheel users

Inmates with 15" front wheels tires-easy has both 135 and 145/80/15 they seem to be listing them as 145/15 or 135/15. The Nankangs are a decent value and if they are not gnarly enough for you get a groover and have a go.DB

Almost forgot another even cooler(more expensive) Vresdestein T-Tracs in 165/80/15 http://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-9413-vre...rac-tires.aspx

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rs...hen=View+Tires

Old 04-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #30
the1mavin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Inmates with 15" front wheels tires-easy has both 135 and 145/80/15 they seem to be listing them as 145/15 or 135/15. The Nankangs are a decent value and if they are not gnarly enough for you get a groover and have a go.DB

Almost forgot another even cooler(more expensive) Vresdestein T-Tracs in 165/80/15 http://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-9413-vre...rac-tires.aspx

Tire-easy has the T-trac for a few buck less.

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rs...n&typ=R-180947

How are you guys balancing your car tires?
the1mavin is online now   Reply With Quote