Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
I still think the best way to start this is to allow 2 wheel bikes into the hard shoulder with a 35 MPH limit and signs every mile reinforcing that it is legal. With a low limit like that, there would be no incentive to do it unless traffic was really slow and with all the crap that can accumulate in the shoulder, that's probably as fast as it makes sense to go anyway. This would get cagers used to the idea of bikes getting ahead without slowing them down. From there, we can make the lane sharing proposal a lot easier and with more of the public used to the idea.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
You know the shoulder is covered in nails and debris, right?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #18
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Yeah, but I'd take the legal right to use it as a start.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #19
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,482
Filtering to the front at controlled intersections is the place to start. IMO

Let other road users get used to that then start opening it up a bit.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #20
vaara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I wonder if ABATE could be persuaded to take up this issue and drop its jihad against helmet laws and noise ordinances. :|

IMHO, states that allow helmetless riding but forbid lane-sharing have it exactly backwards.

(YMMV, FNG, etc. etc. etc. yeah I know.)
vaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #21
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
No. It isn't. At least that I've seen and I've spent a LOT of time sitting in traffic next to one that is wide enough to be considered a complete lane. There is an occasional tire carcass but usually nothing more than that which is why a low speed limit like 35 makes sense. I'm sure there are places where this wouldn't be prudent but on the I95 corridor in VA, it is an absurd waste of space.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #22
vaara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
I still think the best way to start this is to allow 2 wheel bikes into the hard shoulder with a 35 MPH limit and signs every mile reinforcing that it is legal.
Why the shoulder? Even in CA it's illegal to ride there. Allowing riders to use the shoulder creates "special rights" for motorcyclists, as opposed to lane-sharing which is obviously impossible for cages anyway. (Edit: yes, I'm aware of the carpool lane thing, but IMHO allowing legal use of the shoulder goes beyond what we can reasonably expect.)

And why the hate for MP3s and Can-Am Spyders?

As far as how to introduce the idea to the other 49, I think LEOs should be involved. First, inform the public using electronic signboards, ads, etc. Then, send a few moto-LEOs out to test the waters. First on their police bikes, then on regular bikes -- ensuring that the public knows this is happening and that the bike they want to cut off or "door" might have a cop on it.

Finally, raise a huge stink about those inevitable doorings and cuttings-off. After a few of those stories hit the media, people will think twice about f--king with motorcycles.

This should all take place in a state that has significant traffic problems but isn't also inhabited by legions of passive-aggressive self-appointed law enforcers, so that leaves out Washington and Oregon...
vaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Yeah, but I'd take the legal right to use it as a start.

Used to commute on some back road country two lane roads, didn't have the balls to lane share to the left of the stopped traffic because the oncoming traffic was full speed at 60 mph. Rode the shoulder every day and got at least 20 flats per year doing that and made a CHP cage guy mad every morning, he'd flip his lights and siren on in a fit of rage, I'd keep going...not a damn thing he could do about it. Every once in awhile he'd see me coming and nose his RF into the shoulder so I couldn't get by, I'd stop a few cars back and let him fume.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #24
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
and with all the crap that can accumulate in the shoulder,
Quote:
No. It isn't.

Pick one and stick to it.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #25
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No. It isn't. At least that I've seen and I've spent a LOT of time sitting in traffic next to one that is wide enough to be considered a complete lane.
Go ride down the shoulder and get back to us. Be sure to take along the necessary equipment to repair your tires. It is all but impossible to not get a flat tire.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #26
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
It would take one or more legislators in each state to actually give a hoot about what motorcyclists want/need, and sponsor a bill, and then back it through committee, full legislature, etc.

For them, it does not serve enough of their constituents to even bother.

Here's a thought: If you're a motorcyclist, consider running for office!

...Or, join a community board, as I have. For the past two years I have been a voting member of the "Traffic & Transportation Committee" for the Community Board ("CB2") which governs the West Village in Manhattan. In my time there I have been party to creating the first new motorcycle-only parking areas in NYC in decades. I've added my voice to every proposed change in this very populated area. And rest-assured, whatever is being discussed, I am listening with an ear towards the impact for motorcyclists.

And, at the start of every meeting, I put my helmet on the table where the committee is sitting. It's subliminal, but I do it to send a message that there are motorcyclists in the community, and not just a bunch of loud-piped weekend warriors.

Fourteen years ago this very same community board tried to BAN all motorcycles from the area. You can bet your ass that would never happen if a motorcyclist were on the CB in 1997!

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #27
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,728
Quote:
Used to commute on some back road country two lane roads, didn't have the balls to lane share to the left of the stopped traffic because the oncoming traffic was full speed at 60 mph. Rode the shoulder every day and got at least 20 flats per year doing that and made a CHP cage guy mad every morning, he'd flip his lights and siren on in a fit of rage, I'd keep going...not a damn thing he could do about it. Every once in awhile he'd see me coming and nose his RF into the shoulder so I couldn't get by, I'd stop a few cars back and let him fume.

You're doing it wrong... very wrong.

#1: Lane splitting is done ONLY between lanes which are traveling in the SAME direction. If you're riding on a yellow (as opposed to white) line, then you're not commuting: You're committing suicide in a pointless way.

#2: Glad you finally figured out that all the debris collects where the cars DON'T go! Running from the police, though? That's no longer a traffic violation. Now, you're into the criminal code.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #28
fritzthecat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
You need to convince the car / truck drivers that filtering / lane sharing is advantageous for THEM, not the bikes.
Spoonfeed them PSAs about how
"Sharing reduces congestion and you get home earlier."
"Let them (the bikes) get out of your way."
"Moving out of your way so you can get ahead."

Only by convincing the drivers that Bikers will do this 'inconvenience" for their benefit will there be acceptance.

Fritz
Old 01-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #29
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
You're doing it wrong... very wrong.
#1: Lane splitting is done ONLY between lanes which are traveling in the SAME direction.
So, do you just call it passing when riding the center line then?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #30
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
So, do you just call it passing when riding the center line then?
"The term lane splitting, sometimes known as lane sharing, filtering or white-lining, refers to the process of a motorcyclist riding between lanes of stopped or slower moving traffic or moving between lanes to the front of traffic stopped at a traffic light."
Yes, I do. And so does every LEO I've ever spoken to about it.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote