User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
clang OP
Not lost, Exploring!

Oddometer: 2,785
OT - Any Dodge Cummins techs here?

I have a couple of electrical/transmission questions.......

Thanks
clang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,679
allpar.com, tech section.
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,718
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/

Lots of info and knowledgeable folks there. You will figure out the members who know what they are talking about fairly quickly.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,459
Another good site: www.turbodieselregister.com/

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
clang OP
Not lost, Exploring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/

Lots of info and knowledgeable folks there. You will figure out the members who know what they are talking about fairly quickly.
Thanks, I'm a member there, but I'm not very active. I have posted a detailed description and questions, and am not getting any replies so far - It's only been a few hours tough.......... patience grasshopper.........
Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
clang OP
Not lost, Exploring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
allpar.com, tech section.
Thanks, I'll give it a try...
Old 01-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clang View Post
Thanks, I'm a member there, but I'm not very active. I have posted a detailed description and questions, and am not getting any replies so far - It's only been a few hours tough.......... patience grasshopper.........
So am I, and also not very active. ADVrider takes up too damn much of my time!
I doubt I can help but I can try? What's the problem? Or give me a link and I'll either try and help or at least give you a bump.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
clang OP
Not lost, Exploring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
So am I, and also not very active. ADVrider takes up too damn much of my time!
I doubt I can help but I can try? What's the problem? Or give me a link and I'll either try and help or at least give you a bump.
Thanks

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...ring-help.html

Link info pasted below:

---------------------------------

Hello,

I'm a noob here, but have been lurking for a few years and messing with the Cummins trucks since '97

I could use some advice/help. I have a 2004.5 that has been heavily modded - it has the factory body, frame (albeit reinforced), and interior more or less. Factory wiring harness retained.

Sorry in advance for the long post......

Yesterday my transmission stopped shifting into overdrive, and will only downshift from 3rd if I put it first in neutral, then in 1st or 2nd. It runs up through the gears fine, but not into 4th, and to downshift I have to repeat the above procedure which usually works, but not all the time.

It started throwing code P2769, which I understand is "Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Low" I am not having trouble with my torque converter that I am aware of (this is a custom competition tranny built by AST).

I checked the transmission control relay circuit and it seems fine. When I pull the 8-pin transmission solenoid connector off of the tranny and test, there is no voltage to Pin 1 OR/YL wire (engine running). This is the wire that should carry voltage from the battery through the relay.

Since the 3rd to 4th shift solenoid is a part of this assembly (as is the torque converter control solenoid), I'm assuming this is my culprit and the wire is broken or frayed and grounding somewhere between the IPM and the solenoid.

OK, so a couple of questions:
1. does anybody know if this wire goes first through the PCM and then continues on to the trans solenoid, or is it a splice that splits and goes directly to the trans solenoid and a branch goes to the PCM

Working on the wiring harness between the body and tranny is an absolute nightmare

I am tempted to add a bypass directly from the IPM to the solenoid (leaving the original wiring intact to the PCM)

2. Is there a reason not to do this??

3. Is there something I am missing or should also be checking??

Thanks for any help and advice.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clang View Post
Thanks

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...ring-help.html

Link info pasted below:

---------------------------------

Hello,

I'm a noob here, but have been lurking for a few years and messing with the Cummins trucks since '97

I could use some advice/help. I have a 2004.5 that has been heavily modded - it has the factory body, frame (albeit reinforced), and interior more or less. Factory wiring harness retained.

Sorry in advance for the long post......

Yesterday my transmission stopped shifting into overdrive, and will only downshift from 3rd if I put it first in neutral, then in 1st or 2nd. It runs up through the gears fine, but not into 4th, and to downshift I have to repeat the above procedure which usually works, but not all the time.

It started throwing code P2769, which I understand is "Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Low" I am not having trouble with my torque converter that I am aware of (this is a custom competition tranny built by AST).

I checked the transmission control relay circuit and it seems fine. When I pull the 8-pin transmission solenoid connector off of the tranny and test, there is no voltage to Pin 1 OR/YL wire (engine running). This is the wire that should carry voltage from the battery through the relay.

Since the 3rd to 4th shift solenoid is a part of this assembly (as is the torque converter control solenoid), I'm assuming this is my culprit and the wire is broken or frayed and grounding somewhere between the IPM and the solenoid.

OK, so a couple of questions:
1. does anybody know if this wire goes first through the PCM and then continues on to the trans solenoid, or is it a splice that splits and goes directly to the trans solenoid and a branch goes to the PCM

Working on the wiring harness between the body and tranny is an absolute nightmare

I am tempted to add a bypass directly from the IPM to the solenoid (leaving the original wiring intact to the PCM)

2. Is there a reason not to do this??

3. Is there something I am missing or should also be checking??

Thanks for any help and advice.
I was right. I can't help but we do have the same year (04.5) truck! Did you buy the transmission or was it in the truck when you bought it? Have you called ATS to see if they can help?

I see you're only twelve posts down from the top. I'll wait awhile before I give you a bump. It might be better if I don't just "bump" it without any input, because I have none.