Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #3856
Buddaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopantsflyer View Post
you need this part: http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...10A-00-00.html, this is the part number:
2KF-1410A-00-00 PLUNGER, STARTER,

will fit perfectly, michael
Thanks Mike got one finally, Works great. Now my only issue is since the XT had the cable choke originally my fuel petcock where the gas line attaches is right where the choke plunger knob is, Sometimes if i'm not careful and push the choke back in it pulls/pushes against my gas line causing a small gas leak. I've managed to work around it but wish there was an ALT fuel petcock I could use, I'm been looken at the old XT500 where the fuel line attaches underneath and not on the side like mine now. ANY ideas guys?!?!?!
Buddaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #3857
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddaman View Post
ANY ideas guys?!?!?!
A nice Accerbis Desert Tank?
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #3858
kimett
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi
New owner to an old 1990 2NF.
Found a Öhlins rear shock for 95-00? year model. Will it be a possible fit for my older one?
kimett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #3859
Andreja
MotherThumper

Oddometer: 41
Could anybody tell me how to inspect brakes? I bought used front brake rotor and new front/rear brake pads. There is no leaking, I cannot tell if the pistons are working well, the rear one has much more stroke than front. I don't know to inspect the "rubber" parts. Hoses are in good condition but I think I'll buy a new armored hose and change brake oil.

Sorry for my crappy English, I hope you can understand me :)
Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #3860
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreja View Post
Could anybody tell me how to inspect brakes? I bought used front brake rotor and new front/rear brake pads. There is no leaking, I cannot tell if the pistons are working well, the rear one has much more stroke than front. I don't know to inspect the "rubber" parts. Hoses are in good condition but I think I'll buy a new armored hose and change brake oil.

Sorry for my crappy English, I hope you can understand me :)
Usually it's just the fluid and air that's in it that makes the brakes not work as they should. You can begin by flushing the old brake fluid and putting fresh fluid in, and make sure it's bled properly. If that doesn't take care of it then you might need to take the caliper off, take it apart and inspect it.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #3861
indytxl
n00b

Oddometer: 4
That's a cool picture Andreja, might have to use it as my background pic. Looks like you can ride all over the place.

indytxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #3862
Sydney Andy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
I need someone to buy the pannier racks and ship them to me apparently. The people who make them will not respond to my questions, even translated to italian. They don't seem to ship to the usa on their site, or have a place to specify the model number for the individual bike of that style of rack in the ordering process. Frustration mounting. They may have that rack for your bike. check http://www.accessorimotocross.it/ind...re-rally1.html
..... well looks like they make the rack for my bike... now I need to get my best mate's Italian speaking wife on the phone to them... ;)
Sydney Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #3863
Andreja
MotherThumper

Oddometer: 41
Sydney Andy, thanks for instructions dude

indytxl, let me know if you need more pics of it, I'll be glad to share 'em in this topic

Edit: I've bought a rack for my XT with a toolbox, spare clutch cable, new mirror and clutch lever "holder" and a chain slider for rear fork :)
Old 01-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #3864
joatmoa
Joatmoa

Oddometer: 46
Riky Cross

There are quite a few people who have been upset by a lack of product for the money they have spent with http://www.accessorimotocross.it
If I were you I would steer clear.
As a general tip, if they don't take Paypal then there is something wrong!
joatmoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #3865
Freddan
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Funny spark

I´m restoring a XT600Z 34L 1983. The spark is weak or seems to fire every 6-8 time of kicking. I have only rebuilt the ignition circut and have no battery or charging system. The two systems are fully independent as I understand. I had the bike running but it´s getting harder or impossible to start. So is this a bad wire connection, faulty CDI, Ignition coil measurs good. Pickup coil is a bit off the chart (110ohm and 110ohm both sides so I think it´s a measuing problem).

Has anyone had the spark come and go?

/Fred.

OK the CDI is no good. I switched from my 43f. CDI anyone?

Freddan screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 01:42 AM
Freddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #3866
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddan View Post
I´m restoring a XT600Z 34L 1983. The spark is weak or seems to fire every 6-8 time of kicking. I have only rebuilt the ignition circut and have no battery or charging system. The two systems are fully independent as I understand. I had the bike running but it´s getting harder or impossible to start. So is this a bad wire connection, faulty CDI, Ignition coil measurs good. Pickup coil is a bit off the chart (110ohm and 110ohm both sides so I think it´s a measuing problem).

Has anyone had the spark come and go?

/Fred.
Assuming your XT has the same ignition as the “regular” xt600 of that era, and you have the original CDI box, chances are you have a faulty CDI unit.

Yes the ignition system is “stand alone”. 110 ohm is about right for the pickups. Disconnect the black/white wire from the CDI when testing, it is the “kill” wire. By disconnecting it you rule out a failure in the ignition switch, kill switch, wiring, etc
Check the Ignition coil, my XT550 has the same igniton:
Primary = 0,5 ohm plus/minus 15%
Secondary = 6K ohm plus/minus 15%

I have a CDI from hpi.be in my XT550 (the original one died two years ago) ,it was plug and play, no problems so far.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #3867
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by joatmoa View Post
There are quite a few people who have been upset by a lack of product for the money they have spent with http://www.accessorimotocross.it
If I were you I would steer clear.
As a general tip, if they don't take Paypal then there is something wrong!
I decided to make my own using pannier loops from BRmoto.com, the rack maker for wolfman bags. When the weather warms up, I will take my bike on a trip to mid/northern virginia to an ADV inmate's shop to work with his awesome tools.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #3868
Buddaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Hey Guys Happy New Years

I got an 89 XT600 and in search of the right side Crank Case Cover, Don't Need the case, just the cover that bolts to it, The previous owner re-drilled and tapped the crap out of one of the oil screws on the side cap is, Now its leaking little by little mostly when I do freeway riding and the bike build pressure, Ill see it on the side of the case, Ebay however seems to be filled with complete cases for sale but no covers? any ideas on where to locate or does someone wana sell one? Also dont have money for a new one.
Buddaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #3869
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Just a suggestion, but instead of buying a cover, you could always throw a heli coil in there. Throw a little rtv on the bolt when you reinstall it, and it might work for ya.

Ive used that method before on leaky bolts, sometimes the rtv just adds that little bit of sealing power!
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #3870
shanekfalcon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
1991 XT600 Purchase

Hi guys, a question for all the XT600 enthusiasts. My cousin is looking at a 1991 ex-Australian Army with 50,000 kilometres on the clock, for about $2,000.00 . He is attracted by the price and size as he is about 6 foot five inches and quite strong ( a farmer ) and perhaps weighs abou 95 kilos.

Whilst acknowledging the reputation of these bikes, it is quite high mileage and old; as a runabout on the farm is this a good idea? Are there any specific issues to this model that we need to look closely at? All advice appreciated.

Thanks

Shane
shanekfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote