User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #2731
gregMo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Rod! You Scottish bustard...

...you killing me with your narrative & the whole story My breakfast is all over my table ! Now I will need to clean my keyboard too .... no, you good man, I'll buy you a few rounds once I get somewhere your way - the "dragon lady restaurant" is an instant classic(I could see you face with puffed cheeks full of pork- too good to give it back!) , it made me cry w/joy ...you good... keep going man....

gregMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #2732
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Just wanted to say that this is a great report that is so well written. You guys must have had this in mind before the ride.

I started reading these to get advice for my own exploits (which are minor mainly due to time and priorities). I read this though to learn, yes, but now simply because it's just such good reading.

keep safe and keep writing.

Seems like half the biking world would like to meet you guys, me included.

cheers dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #2733
miksail
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
re-inflating tires

Rod, what do you use to pump up your repaired tire? Hand pump? Electric compressor? Can you recommend a brand/model?
miksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #2734
Beam(st)er
Miss Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee bee View Post
I know walters on his way back ,hopefully fully rejuvenated,but Bas,Linda and Rod have been really great company and i will be sad to see them leave.

When things were,t going quite to plan in Aktash, Bas Linda and me took off for a few days ,exploring the Altai. I really didn,t know how we would get along, with me being the lone wolf, but they couldn,t have been more friendly and inviting, with Bas always ready to help out when the riding got a bit too technical for me., even though at one time i thought he was going to end up as dinner for a rather hungry looking four legged creature..
Linda was always up for a laugh and a really great rider,there was one particular river crossing though, where instead of standing there laughing , i should have run over and helped out.,Linda ,please accept my official apologies !
Terry you've been really great company too! We would have loved to stay longer!
I only met you once before the trip and I didn't knew what I was getting myself into but we're really thankful for the wonderful time we had together!

I do remember that river crossing though you indeed should have helped me instead of but I do accept your apologies...

Thanks everyone for all the kind reactions! From now on we'll be following the RR just like you.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #2735
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Air pump

I use a litle foot pump sold by Hein Gericke called "Bikers Dream". Admittedly I never knew a biker that dreamed of footpumps but there clearly must be a pump fetishist who's designed the thing.
It's about half the size of a spectacles case but thicker, and just weighs a few ounces.
I personally wouldn't have an electric pump as they're bulky, heavy and burn out just when you need them. usually on the first time they're used.............. seen it happen several times.

Cue everyone chiming in with their electric pumps wot's never let them down.....
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #2736
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,407
Everyday , I come here looking for a fix. Not hard to see why it has a sticky. The people involved and their narrations and pictures are what make it. As each fades in and out of the journey, it's like having an old friend come over for a few days , then leave. Very touching. Love Rod taking up the slack on the story and chomping at the bit for phase 3. Will; be missing Rod, Bruster and Beamster and the color they added to this story.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #2737
EtronX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
The world over, one can encounter every variant of female in a cafe, from the Dragon to the Darling. This was Dragon day.
You met my ex wife???
Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #2738
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
I use a litle foot pump sold by Hein Gericke called "Bikers Dream". Admittedly I never knew a biker that dreamed of footpumps but there clearly must be a pump fetishist who's designed the thing.
It's about half the size of a spectacles case but thicker, and just weighs a few ounces.
I personally wouldn't have an electric pump as they're bulky, heavy and burn out just when you need them. usually on the first time they're used.............. seen it happen several times.

Cue everyone chiming in with their electric pumps wot's never let them down.....
I always take an engine air pump. But I never had to use it this trip

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #2739
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Oddometer: 768
Rod,

you are like most of the jocks I've met in my life, feckin hilarious Hopefully one day our paths will cross and we can indulge in some beers and banter, thanks for brightening up my day again
Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #2740
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,407
Oh how I miss the simpleness of doing maintenance on my 3 BMWs ( R11GS, R11R and R1150GS) of past. Even on the KLR I take the seat and gas tank off to access the sparkplug.
I wonder if anyone has used the kind of air compressor that Pruster carried on a single. Just wondering if the battery would make it filling up a tire.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #2741
EtronX
Gnarly Adventurer

Some thoughts

As Rod and some others here have commented, people are inherently good. They keep to their own business and give a hand when it is needed. This is my second trip to Russia and I just love the people, the scenery and the country It is the best place to be on a bike.

Before my first trip to Russia I was full of prejudice. A Russian character in an American movie is a big bald guy (like me ) that will beat you to death with a brick. That's if he is in a good mood

I grew up with the cold war and the iron curtain. When we crossed over the border the first time it was a bit scary. We did not know what to expect. We'd heard all these horrible stories. Our big BMW's would be nicked in a minute and we would be left bloody in a ditch for the wild animals to feed on. Nothing could be further from the truth. My prejudices were picked away on by one. By way of unselfish friendliness, helpfulness and kindness.

Walter once wrote: Treat a Russian biker as your brother. Not as a friend, but as your brother. Because he would do the same for you. I second that, but I would delete the word biker

I also want to extend my thanks to you the reader. For your comments and encouragement A trip like this has three faces:
  1. The Planning.
    You look at maps. Draw the route and dream. Talk to other adventurers. Gather intel. Set a date.

2. The Trip.
    You get on your bike and go. You start with Plan A. Ends up with Plan Y or something, but you have a great trip. You meet marvelous humans. You conquer difficulties and grow as a human being. You expand your vision. You see that you are not the centre of the universe

3. The Storytelling.
    You get to relive your trip. You go through all your pictures and videos. You are back in the woods. Thinking about all the great persons you have met.

It is really fun to share a trip like this. Especially with an audience like you
Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #2742
EtronX
Gnarly Adventurer

Electric air pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Oh how I miss the simpleness of doing maintenance on my 3 BMWs ( R11GS, R11R and R1150GS) of past. Even on the KLR I take the seat and gas tank off to access the sparkplug.
I wonder if anyone has used the kind of air compressor that Pruster carried on a single. Just wondering if the battery would make it filling up a tire.
I have an electric pump that I use on my XC. No problem filling up a tire, but I keep the engine running
Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #2743
moto rrad
ADV n00b

Oddometer: 92
Thank you Pruster + Beemster

moto rrad screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 02:40 AM Reason: nuked!
moto rrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #2744
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Thanks to you all!!

Walter, Terry, Rod, Prutzer, Beemster, EtronX and crew, thank YOU for so generously sharing your trip with us. It must take a tremendous amount of time to write the reports you do. It is so rare to find great writing that can be both serious, and funny while constantly returning to the theme of adventure, and you all do it wonderfully well. You let us see the world through your eyes and experience, which gives us the chance to grow a little ourselves, albeit from afar. "Thanks" doesn't begin to do the job.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #2745
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,668
Been around this board a long time, and I can't recall a multi-party ride report like this. Sure, there were some reports, one guy wrote, a buddy would chime in with some details, but none with a multi-POV like this.

It's really interesting to watch it unfold, and to this point, it's been an awesome job by all the participants.

Except for teebee. Bongo truck for 3 inches of water??? And let's not forget that Rod was on that truck with him, afraid to get his boots wet. Shame...

Kidding aside, this has been a great story so far, well done to all.