ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #151
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
My 450 froze up about 4 years ago and I paid Garmin the $150 for a refurbised one. Took about a month to get it. I used it once or twice to make sure it was going to work for my big ride to Canada from Texas three years ago. Had a heck o a time dowloading the CDR Trail into it. So I broke it down into little sections and out on a SD card.

Long story short. We got going on our trip and the touch screen on the refurbished unit quit. Not more than 10 hours since I got it. It quit completely one night when we woke up in our tents to a hail storm. It never worked again.

I bought the cheapest Garmon 1440 Wal Mort had in Kelispell to help me find my home.
The 450 dried out some months later and now will show maps, but only if I don't drive more than 45 miles and hour. It won't keep up. The touch screen on the replacement has never worked again. So I have relegated the thing to speedometer duty on my Ducati Elefant because I can't convert the KPM to MPH fast enough in my head to stay out of trouble. And the Italian Mistresses Speedo is off anyway. Just like my Italian Wife. There, but not wuit there, if you know what I mean.

So you are taking a gamble with the $150 echange program. And since I didn't really start testing it until after my 30 warranty expired I was told by Garnin that they will be happy to exchange my refurbished 450 for another one. For another $150. Now I'm not even sure if they will support the 450 at all.

So, I'm going to try changing out the digitizer screen and see if I can at least get some more features working on it.

I get the oddest look when I have both the 450 and 1440 running on the Elefant. I tell them one is for speed and one for maps.

I had given oup on getting the 450 working again until a friend mentioned he had read this E Bay fix here a few months ago.

So I'm going to try it too!

Thanks a million.

Curtis
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" -Burt Munro
Curtis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #152
cnj3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Zumo 550 Screen/Digitizer

Re comment about screen not light enough. Purchased another screen/digitizer from Goodsupply 0889 and just installed it. This screen was different from one of the other Chinese that I purchased. Screen from Goodsupply 0889 is as bright as new
cnj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #153
rags111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time to share! Just replaced my 550 digitizer and works like new!
rags111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #154
mylifeuncut
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 15
Quit after 5 years

My 550 touch screen gave up recently after 5 years. Following the directions in this thread I had little problem getting it to work again. I ordered this part

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390300800710...84.m1497.l2649

from ebay. The cost was $21, which included the freight. It was the exact correct part and arrived quickly (from China) via FedX,

The only problem I had was when I over tightened a screw and striped out the head of said screw. I guess I will never learn. As stated by others the response of the new touch screen is much faster than the original.

Thanks to the posters of these directions.
mylifeuncut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #155
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 926
Just replaced my Zumo 550 Screen & Digitizer Combo....

.....Fired right up.

Haven't ridden with her yet, but immediate impression is it fixed the problem. I bought the $50ish screen/digitizer combo. T6 screws, easy-peazy.

Thanks.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #156
tankhead
Path less traveled

Oddometer: 177
Just finished mine. Went to Home Depot to buy the Torx tool. Got back and my 450 has phillips head screws. Took it all apart. Put in the screen and digitizer but had problems with the cables and connecting them back to the terminals. Also one of the 8 black screws just did not seem to go all the way in. Turn it on and calibrated it. It works like new but I always worry about electronics and me screwing with them. I will be keeping my fingers crossed. Yes the screen seems faster. Thanks goodsupply.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #157
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,875
Another "Thanks!!!"

Course mine quit mid Atlantic Canada trip last fall. Caused a lot of stress with "her" as I wanted to go left and she insisted right. Zumo wanted no part of that decision and just said "you are here". Later I proved I was right but that really wasn't a good relationship thing to do in hindsight.

Ordered two digitizers from goodsupply0889 in Hong Kong that were the perfect size and came with the adhesive although I had to install it onto the back myself. Delivery was longer due to the holidays and he sent a two page "english-as-a-second-language" email asking for forgiveness (I think) but anyways we're shovelling snow here so whatever.

Very happy, installed as per OP instructions and I even have a spare for next time.

And there will be a next time.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #158
RyzaMd
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Zumo Savers!

Thanks to the guys who started this, I can proudly say I have mastered the electronics! 12 screws, 2 plugs and a seal and its working again, Goodsupply came through with the goods and I know where I'm going again. Stoked!
Cheers!
RyzaMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #159
bumper1871
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Zumo 550

Thank you

I did it and it works.

I can't get the screen calibrated perfectly, but it's so much better.
bumper1871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #160
Gadget_65
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Wow, I did it!

Thanks to FrankS and Pretbek for taking the time to take and post the photos and instructions.

I bought the correct sized digitiser from goodsupply0889 on ebay from Hongkong for AU$24.98 with free postage. It arrived in 11 days with one public holiday in Honkong and one in Australia. I had to buy a smaller set of torx screwdrivers to get a T6 size for the case.

What I found was:
  • The black frame described in the posted instructions was silver on mine.
  • The backing case on mine didn't have the cutout section in the middle.
  • As for cutting the digitiser off the frame gently with a razor, you might has well use a bowie knife and a mallet because that sucker is going to crack when you look at it too closely. It is, as has been said, the bit that is getting thrown away anyway. Just take care of the metal frame.
  • I took both connecting ribbons out to do the replacement and had a little difficulty getting the LCD (wider) ribbon back in place. It has a long white lever running its full width that lifts to open and presses back down to lock the ribbon in place. It took a few tries to get it back in right.
  • Powered it up and digitiser works perfectly straight away. No need to callibrate.
  • New digitiser does seem faster to respond and is much clearer.
  • I had notice a discoloured section around the middle area of the old digitiser just before it failed. That appears to possibly be delamination between the layers in the digitiser glass.
Thanks again to all that contributed info to this thread.

Cheers,

Ian
Old 02-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #161
KYStarRider
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Screen Gasket Orentation

Thanks FrankS and all others involved in this great discussion. After reading through the entire discussion (twice) I decided to repair my Zumo 550 myself after going through the Garmin $150.00 replacement already and having it do the same thing only a year later I figured why not, they can't be that much more different than cell phones and laptops and I've repaired literally hundreds of em' being a 25yr. IT guy.

So I ordered the screen/digitizer from Goodsupply 0889 (it was an exact fit) and two digitizers (also exact fit) figuring to repair my old display thereby leaving me with a repaired GPS and additional replacement display/digitizer assy. and a spare digitizer to rotate out. These units, as you all know fail frequently.

Everything went off nearly without a hitch. The only problem that I ran into was that when I removed the defective display/digitizer assy., I noticed a lot of crud along the bottom of the main screen gasket so I removed it and took a quick glance at it and it appeared to be identical on both sides. Appearances can be very misleading during a quick glance. I cleaned the gasket using warm water only and gently dried it and to be sure it was thoroughly dried I placed in front of a small fan for an hour or so. I then re-assembled and when I turned the unit on it appeared to be functioning properly until I got to the password entry screen and I noticed that the number 1 on the screen was highlighted (beige colored) and it was stuck on that and I could not proceed any further.

So I started back tracking rechecking all my connections everything looked good so I re-assembled ...same problem. I disassembled and disconnected, reconnecting again making certain that all connections were correctly inserted and locked down. I only put two screws in the unit just to hold it all together in case it wasn't solved...Good thing because it was the same story. Back to dis-assembly knowing full well that I had to be missing something. Removed the screen/digitizer and this time took a very close look using a magnifying glass in conjunction with a set of 2X reading glasses and that's when I noticed that the two sides of the gasket are not identical. I noted it's orientation prior to removal for re-inspection so I flipped it over. The lower portion of the gasket is critical and the flat side must be oriented in such a way that it contacts the screen surface. I reassembled and rechecked, problem solved. For proof (being the sick minded individual that I am) I disassembled the unit again, flipped the gasket back over , reassembled, and re-checked....the problem returned. Flipped it back over and problem went away again so I am certain that it does in fact make a difference!!! SO I hope that if anyone else that may possibly run into the same pitfall will read this post and save themselves a lot of hair pulling and possibly avoid reaching their personal breaking point and dumping their unit unnecessarily.

My Zumo is now a very happy camper and I've now got a ready replacement for the next time it goes bizerk on a long road trip.

Final notes, I used an exacto knife with a curved blade to separate the old digitizer from the display and instead of laying it flat I stood it on it's edge which allowed me to get a better visual on where to make the cut. It took about 20 seconds to separate the two with no breakage and even left the original seal intact.

Above all else Take your time, patience is a virtue when working with delicate electronic assemblies. Don't get in a hurry.

Ride On Bros, Hope to see ya on the road sometime.
KYStarRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #162
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,875
Hey KYStarRider, try not to use up your subscription's character limit on your first post!

Welcome. You had me thinking there but mine worked out of the gate. I didn't disconnect the LCD or remove the gasket I believe. That was a month ago but may as well have been years as I have limited RAM.

I bet you were "on the clock" while fixin your Zumo. Most would just accept that it worked the second time.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #163
KYStarRider
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I told you I was a sick minded individual.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Hey KYStarRider, try not to use up your subscription's character limit on your first post!

Welcome. You had me thinking there but mine worked out of the gate. I didn't disconnect the LCD or remove the gasket I believe. That was a month ago but may as well have been years as I have limited RAM.

I bet you were "on the clock" while fixin your Zumo. Most would just accept that it worked the second time.

Hey Reaver,
Sorry 'bout the character usage, but I'm "hard wired" to be thorough.

The only reason I even messed with the gasket in the first place wuz because of the crud...(leaving it could have possibly created an entry point for moisture). It took me a while to get the problem nailed down and was just tryin' to help the next poor soul that may venture down that path.

Now for the sickest part....I was in fact "Off the clock" at home!!!!
Winter Sucks!!! I need some ride'n time
C-Ya
KYStarRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #164
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,759
Just replaced mine- thanks to all who posted.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #165
Captdan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Yep, my 550 just started acting up. I bought the new screen and with the guidance here replaced it. I did have to connect the wire strap three times to get it right, once nothing when I booted it up,next time just light no graphics, the third time all worked fine. I saved $500 ! Thanks!