Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #241
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
'01 Tiger......Finally

So,

Two years ago, I looked at getting a Tiger 955i pretty hard. I ended up choking and i bought a Yamaha Venture instead later that year. I kept the KLR, and still enjoy the Venture too. I have been wanting still to get an adventure bike. My brother bought a S10, which he likes, and I looked a bit at KTM adventures, and I would love a Stelvio NTX. Practicality, however leaves me to buying used. The 955i still ranks high in the bang for buch catagory, lower priced than the GS's, and KTMs. On par or less than the Vstrom 1000, and much more common than the Aprilia Caponord. I think for what my brother paid for his Tenere, I could have a nice tiger, with farkles for $6500. Less than half what a new S10 cost, and much more than 50% of what the S10 can do, or at least what my brother will do on his S10. I was supposed to pick up an '01 955i this weekend, and I will pick it up, when the weather cooperates for the both of us. It's a roulette green with less than 10,000 miles on it. Looks like its in pretty good shape, and I am really pleased. I think about another 2K or so, and I will have a bike with 85% of the capabilities of a new S10. I can't wait.

I'm getting the racks, but no luggage. I'm thinking of going with those "muffin top" bags, and bolting them to the existing racks. Touratech stuff is expensive, but there doesn't seem to be many alternatives for bashplates and such. I don't know how the tires will be. Maybe I'll get some shinko 705's. I'd probably like some mustang lowering pegs too for starters, a centerstand, and taller bars, maybe a corbin saddle, a stock trunk, or kappa garda 41L with passenger backrest. I have quite a list worked up already. I figured I would be in the garage all weekend sitting on my new to me Tiger, making "Vroom vroom" noises and other Tomfoolery. The weather was bad for the seller this weekend, so we are rescheduling.

T
Hatley Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #242
Pumpkinhead
Professional Azzhole

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostblue62 View Post
Hi all!
Need advice on a black, 2002 Tiger 955i. I've found one with 10k miles with three hard cases for $1,800. Looks good except for some bubbling in the paint on the tank. And it could use a bath. Maybe new tires, too.
The seller is charging the battery so I can test ride it. Haven't heard it run yet. He says it's tip top.
Is it a good deal? Should I buy it? What sort of problems should I look for?
Oh yeah, and why do people refer to Tigers as Girlies?
Cheers,
Blue
If everythings good with it, buy it! The bubbling on the tank is normal & annoying
Pumpkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #243
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 737
Off the graphics, they are ugly anyway. A good looking woman does not require makeup.

I love '01. It will do almost anything. Great bike.
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #244
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatley Rocket View Post
So,

Two years ago, I looked at getting a Tiger 955i pretty hard. I ended up choking and i bought a Yamaha Venture instead later that year. I kept the KLR, and still enjoy the Venture too. I have been wanting still to get an adventure bike. My brother bought a S10, which he likes, and I looked a bit at KTM adventures, and I would love a Stelvio NTX. Practicality, however leaves me to buying used. The 955i still ranks high in the bang for buch catagory, lower priced than the GS's, and KTMs. On par or less than the Vstrom 1000, and much more common than the Aprilia Caponord. I think for what my brother paid for his Tenere, I could have a nice tiger, with farkles for $6500. Less than half what a new S10 cost, and much more than 50% of what the S10 can do, or at least what my brother will do on his S10. I was supposed to pick up an '01 955i this weekend, and I will pick it up, when the weather cooperates for the both of us. It's a roulette green with less than 10,000 miles on it. Looks like its in pretty good shape, and I am really pleased. I think about another 2K or so, and I will have a bike with 85% of the capabilities of a new S10. I can't wait.

I'm getting the racks, but no luggage. I'm thinking of going with those "muffin top" bags, and bolting them to the existing racks. Touratech stuff is expensive, but there doesn't seem to be many alternatives for bashplates and such. I don't know how the tires will be. Maybe I'll get some shinko 705's. I'd probably like some mustang lowering pegs too for starters, a centerstand, and taller bars, maybe a corbin saddle, a stock trunk, or kappa garda 41L with passenger backrest. I have quite a list worked up already. I figured I would be in the garage all weekend sitting on my new to me Tiger, making "Vroom vroom" noises and other Tomfoolery. The weather was bad for the seller this weekend, so we are rescheduling.

T
Mustang Pegs: Excellent

Taller Bars: Rox Risers

Seat: Put in your miles and decide after that. I did 900-odd miles in a day on the Tiger and my biggest problem was seat-peg distance, not the seat. That was before the Mustang pegs.

Centerstand: Yes, absolutely. Get the SW Motech.

If you have the money, throw a quality aftermarket shock on the Tiger and do the forks. It's a whole new kitty.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #245
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
$6500 is way too much for an 01 Tiger.... at least $2k too much

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #246
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

I agree

$6500 is what I figure after I'm done with it. I'm getting it for $4275, I figure a bit over 2K more after I'm done. Depending on what I all do: skid plate, probably needs new tires, various guards, aux lights, luggage, cruise control, heated grips, I guess from what I read several windscreens, center stand, gps mounts.

T
Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #247
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
Mustang Pegs: Excellent

Taller Bars: Rox Risers

Seat: Put in your miles and decide after that. I did 900-odd miles in a day on the Tiger and my biggest problem was seat-peg distance, not the seat. That was before the Mustang pegs.

Centerstand: Yes, absolutely. Get the SW Motech.

If you have the money, throw a quality aftermarket shock on the Tiger and do the forks. It's a whole new kitty.

Please elaborate on the suspension work on the Tiger. I have a 06 955i and thought about sending the forks and shock to Race Tech. I'm I in the ballpark?

Drunk_Uncle screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 04:24 PM
Drunk_Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #248
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

talk to me

Acody,

Don't make me talk to myself! It's been a year to the day since you got your tiger. I should be getting a new to me roulette green '01 this weekend, if plans work out. Can you give me a one year review of your bike? Things you liked/disliked, and mods that were worth it, and ones that weren't so much. I'm getting mine with less miles, but way less stuff with it too. I'm getting crash bars, and SW-Motech racks, but no luggage.

T
Old 01-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #249
brad1098
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
+1 factory suspension is tired, ready to upgrade
brad1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #250
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 630
Race Tech will do a tiger good ......................it will be stiff.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #251
brad1098
Studly Adventurer

Stiff like a 1050? I don't want that, maybe somewhere between stock mushy 955 and 1050
Old 01-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #252
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

a good shop should be able to give you exactly what you want .
bear in mind that the suspension is going to cost damn near the book value of a 7-12 year old tiger's worth .
Old 01-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #253
brad1098
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
a good shop should be able to give you exactly what you want .
bear in mind that the suspension is going to cost damn near the book value of a 7-12 year old tiger's worth .
I know, but I just have to keep her. You understand Mustang
Old 01-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #254
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1098 View Post
I know, but I just have to keep her. You understand Mustang
I certainly do at that ..............
Old 01-20-2013, 03:31 AM   #255
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Please elaborate on the suspension work on the Tiger. I have a 06 955i and thought about sending the forks and shock to Race Tech. I'm I in the ballpark?

Ok. To begin with, i haven't done any fork work other than heavier oil to take out some of the DIVE DIVE DIVE feeling i got every time i got on the brakes.

Shock: after owning the bike for a good 6 years, my stock shock was going all pogo stick on me. Softer and softer and just completely unsatisfactory, especially 2-up. Keep in mind that i've had preload on 5 for a loooong long time because i found it mushy on any other setting.

So i thought it was time to bite the bullet and spend on a quality after-market shock. As luck would have it, a forum member on Tigertriple.com was selling a very high-end Wilbers which after much looking at my bank account, i bought. We're talking remote pre-load, high-low speed compression, the works.

The transformation of the back end of the bike and how the rear tire hooks up is unbelievable. Definitely not soft, but plush. Unflappable. I'd never scraped a peg on the big girl before but i've done it a couple of times since. Loaded, two-up...no problem.

Much, much sharper ride, incredibly better ride quality...i could gush about it all day long. I cringed when i paid up but one ride and i'd completely forgotten about it.

Call Race Tech or Traxxion Dynamics and see what they can do for you. I can tell you you won't be sorry.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote