ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
fishheadAZ OP
SV haver
 
fishheadAZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: West Valley, PHX
Oddometer: 73
Thanks for the tips Chris! The PO put in a dirt tricks tensioner. He also had the piston and rings replaced due to them blowing some oil by...I think. I'll have to look in the maintenance log he kept. I know it was done, as he showed me the piston that came out. I'll definitely start looking to find a good suspension shop in the area. The bike has 140 or so hours on it. As for jetting, it has a 168 main, 42 pilot, 45 leak, and OBETP needle at 5th from the top.

Found it: 110.3 hours new piston, rings, base gasket, head gasket, valve guides, and engine oil. Hopefully I should be good there for a while.
fishheadAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishheadAZ View Post
Thanks for the tips Chris! The PO put in a dirt tricks tensioner. He also had the piston and rings replaced due to them blowing some oil by...I think. I'll have to look in the maintenance log he kept. I know it was done, as he showed me the piston that came out. I'll definitely start looking to find a good suspension shop in the area. The bike has 140 or so hours on it. As for jetting, it has a 168 main, 42 pilot, 45 leak, and OBETP needle at 5th from the top.

Found it: 110.3 hours new piston, rings, base gasket, head gasket, valve guides, and engine oil. Hopefully I should be good there for a while.

Sounds like it's set up well. You should be good. They run like a clock when they're jetted right, easy start and smooth all the way thru the revs.

I forgot I had the FMF can, so 170 was better for below 4-5K feet. I'd drop one for the Sierras. You should be good. If it pops on decel the pilot is too lean. If it surges or bogs you can tune those out too.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #18
fishheadAZ OP
SV haver
 
fishheadAZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: West Valley, PHX
Oddometer: 73
Thanks. I haven't noticed any popping, but will keep my ears open. I think the PO got it as close to perfect as can be. It pulls great from the very bottom all the way up. I've the used the low end a fair bit to get me out of my noob caused blunders in washes and ruts out here west of Phoenix. It pulls like a tractor and fricken flies when things open up. I'm hooked!
fishheadAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
Paragon68
Yankie Yuppie
 
Paragon68's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Asheville, NC
Oddometer: 36
My Wife's 2008 250 XCF-W was professionally re-sprung and lowered (by the guy that used to build Lafferty's suspensions when Allen Randt was his Coach... back when Lafferty was winning).

She is 5' 5" and can pretty much flat-foot.



We set it up this way to make the learning curve less extreme, and will eventually raise it tippy-toe height.

Inmate "Cuddles" on my Wife's bike

__________________
Fortitudine Vincimus
Paragon68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #20
fishheadAZ OP
SV haver
 
fishheadAZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: West Valley, PHX
Oddometer: 73
Thanks for the pics. I'm 5'7", so not super short. I do struggle sometimes though, so proper lowering would probably benefit me quite a bit. I could cheap out and just drop the forks some, but I worry about messing with the geometry. I might try it just for kicks, but if I'm having somebody tear the suspenders down to service them I might as well have them lower it a hair since its already apart.
__________________
2007 KTM 250 XCF-W; 2005 SV650 N
fishheadAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #21
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishheadAZ View Post
Thanks for the pics. I'm 5'7", so not super short. I do struggle sometimes though, so proper lowering would probably benefit me quite a bit. I could cheap out and just drop the forks some, but I worry about messing with the geometry. I might try it just for kicks, but if I'm having somebody tear the suspenders down to service them I might as well have them lower it a hair since its already apart.
A hair is right, maybe an inch. Otherwise you give up too much. Once you become competent you don't need to put your feet down anyway. A tiptoe on one side is sufficient, just stop on a slope and put that foot down. My best riding buddy is 5-8 and he does not shorten bikes. Rides Vet expert in GP and usually places. When he stops one leg hangs over the seat.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #22
fishheadAZ OP
SV haver
 
fishheadAZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: West Valley, PHX
Oddometer: 73
An inch is all I was thinking...if any at all. I seem to make due more or less.
__________________
2007 KTM 250 XCF-W; 2005 SV650 N
fishheadAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #23
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer
 
motowest's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 1,294
Any more 250 xcf-w stories?

I have been thinking about getting one of these bikes for my g/f. She currently rides a Yamaha xt225 and we need to upgrade her bike. This model appears to have what she needs: 6-gears, great suspension, a bit more power without jumping to a 450, typical KTM engineering, affordable (used).

I ride a 2007 450exc and am extremely happy with the bike.
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #24
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by motowest View Post
Any more 250 xcf-w stories?

I have been thinking about getting one of these bikes for my g/f. She currently rides a Yamaha xt225 and we need to upgrade her bike. This model appears to have what she needs: 6-gears, great suspension, a bit more power without jumping to a 450, typical KTM engineering, affordable (used).

I ride a 2007 450exc and am extremely happy with the bike.
A WR250F would be ideal for her actually. Less maintenance for you, similar performance, lower cost, virtually bulletproof.

The XCFW is just a little more bike, a little more power and suspension a shade better. Requires KTM parts and KTM maintenance.

Just go 2007 or newer. The previous model had the RFS motor and it was a dog. The 250 actually came out with the RC5 motor a year or two before the bigger ones. It's excellent, but does wear out faster inside, especially the ring. We don't know what KTM spec'd but at about a hundred hours they are out of spec. For just a few bucks more than the cost of a oem ring set you can get a Wasner piston set and they are all around better. I did mine right at about 110 hours.

And don't forget, just a suspension SERVICE will run you several hundred, without doing any mods. If it hasn't been done it will need it. One of my legs had a nick and it was $150 for a used one. I think a new one is twice that or more.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #25
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
A WR250F would be ideal for her actually. Less maintenance for you, similar performance, lower cost, virtually bulletproof.

The XCFW is just a little more bike, a little more power and suspension a shade better. Requires KTM parts and KTM maintenance.

Just go 2007 or newer. The previous model had the RFS motor and it was a dog. The 250 actually came out with the RC5 motor a year or two before the bigger ones. It's excellent, but does wear out faster inside, especially the ring. We don't know what KTM spec'd but at about a hundred hours they are out of spec. For just a few bucks more than the cost of a oem ring set you can get a Wasner piston set and they are all around better. I did mine right at about 110 hours.

And don't forget, just a suspension SERVICE will run you several hundred, without doing any mods. If it hasn't been done it will need it. One of my legs had a nick and it was $150 for a used one. I think a new one is twice that or more.
Got a source for the Wossner piston kit at that price?
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #26
cedric
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 211
Did you figure out the poor fitting piston pin cjb?
__________________
<equipment_list>Insert a list of the crap you own here</equipment_list>
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:08 PM   #27
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric View Post
Did you figure out the poor fitting piston pin cjb?
Still waiting to hear back from Thumper Racing.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #28
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Got a source for the Wossner piston kit at that price?
Chip Munn - Munn Racing. Great source for KTM parts. My other fav was KTMWorld in Wisconsin.

KTMtalk.com is the defacto source for everything KTM.

They are fairly easy to work on as well, straightforward, valves are simple and once the cams are off it's just like the old smokers.

The engineering and ease of wrenching is much better on the KTM compared to the Yamaha. Good thing the yammer doesn't ever need much. In fact, the aluminum frame WR we had you could not even get to the carb without removing the subframe. A real PITA. There's just enough clearance to change jets.

BTW, all these bikes are fussy to jet. Once you have them dialed they go like stink on shit.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:07 PM   #29
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer
 
motowest's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 1,294
browneye- thanks for the suggestions. I would like to find a bike that is light-weight still with a bit more power than her xt225. Street-legal would make it the best choice - I have been thinking wr250r, but used ones still cost as much as a used 450exc! wtf?
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:35 AM   #30
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Chip Munn - Munn Racing. Great source for KTM parts. My other fav was KTMWorld in Wisconsin.

KTMtalk.com is the defacto source for everything KTM.

They are fairly easy to work on as well, straightforward, valves are simple and once the cams are off it's just like the old smokers.

The engineering and ease of wrenching is much better on the KTM compared to the Yamaha. Good thing the yammer doesn't ever need much. In fact, the aluminum frame WR we had you could not even get to the carb without removing the subframe. A real PITA. There's just enough clearance to change jets.

BTW, all these bikes are fussy to jet. Once you have them dialed they go like stink on shit.
OK, they have the Wossner piston kit for $136. OEM rings are about $70. That's with the KTMTalk discount on both parts. Not bad, but more than a few bucks more than just the rings.

I will agree with you that these bikes are a dream to work on. My 2008 requires tilting the subframe up to get the carb out, but it's just a couple extra bolts to remove and then it's super easy to work on. I have a WR250R also, and that thing is impossible to work on!
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015