Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #421
clint64
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRider View Post
I went with 45/38 liters and didn't do the special cut-out set as I didn't want to mess with the exhaust. I'll add a Pelican case up top at some point soon, but the cases look quite adequate compared to the Jesse's I had on my GS.
Thanks for the info. Coming from my BMW k1200s with factory cases, they will be practically a car trunk.
clint64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #422
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
BarkBusters makes a model specific version for the XC. I know you can get them from Twisted Throttle. They're not cheap, but go on easily. They've been discussed in one of these Tiger threads recently and there are tweak$ you can do to make them fit better.
Thanks. Would anyone have any input on exactly how useless the stock guards are? Are they basically useless even in a non-moving tip-over? I'm just trying to figure out if it's safe to wait until the first "nap" and corresponding cracks of the guards before replacing them or if the first "nap" will destroy the guards and snap the levers.

Life is a participatory sport - say YES and let the adventure begin.
DarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #423
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,446
Quote:
Thanks. Would anyone have any input on exactly how useless the stock guards are? Are they basically useless even in a non-moving tip-over? I'm just trying to figure out if it's safe to wait until the first "nap" and corresponding cracks of the guards before replacing them or if the first "nap" will destroy the guards and snap the levers.
The stock guards are useful as quasi-wind-deflectors, nothing more.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #424
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Finally got my new XC accessories mounted so figured I'd add my 2 cents on farkles. I basically sold my '02 1150GS Adventure - had spent almost 10yrs tweaking her to what I considered perfection for distance touring - but the weight thing was an ongoing problem so I went to the 800XC and have no regrets. Here's what I added to mine and have a few photos of the mods:

- TT windshield adjustment bracket
- Triumph fog lights
- Triumph grip warmers
- Triumph headlight protector
- Triumph radiator guard
- Triumph sump guard
- Triumph engine guards
- TT fairing guards
- additional power outlet
- center stand
- TT cases (that was my "big splurge")
- hyperlights

I selected these accessories after reading the thread and contemplating what I'd done to my 1150 over the years. I also ditched the rubber pads on the stock pegs...that drops about 3/4" off pegs and makes it easier for me to ride/shift with my Sidi Crossfire boots.

I've got a Giant Loop Diablo tank bag to install and then it's just a matter of seeing how the XC will do with 500-700 mile days...she's already proven adept at 250!

Given that the XC hasn't napped yet or gotten dirty, I can't add much on the durability of the guards or off-road performance of the pegs, but based on my 1150GS experience, I suspect the XC will do just fine.

I can
They do ok... your blinkers will most likely go the way of the dodo bird

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #425
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I can
They do ok... your blinkers will most likely go the way of the dodo bird

Thanks fbj913, think I'll try and avoid your photo collection for at least a little while.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #426
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
I really like the sturdiness of the Barkbusters:

Held up better than me:

I had a highside due to a deer hitting my front wheel. The engine guards (Triumph), Barkbuster Storm, and the rear paddock stand bobbins saved the bike from being totaled. It was close even with these guys protecting a lot. If it wasn't a no-fault insurance claim, I would have probably gotten away with about $1200 in parts and scratches on the rest. Due to it being an insurance claim and the shop bringing the bike back to near new condition the whole thing is closer to $5k.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #427
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I really like the sturdiness of the Barkbusters:

Held up better than me:

I had a highside due to a deer hitting my front wheel. The engine guards (Triumph), Barkbuster Storm, and the rear paddock stand bobbins saved the bike from being totaled. It was close even with these guys protecting a lot. If it wasn't a no-fault insurance claim, I would have probably gotten away with about $1200 in parts and scratches on the rest. Due to it being an insurance claim and the shop bringing the bike back to near new condition the whole thing is closer to $5k.
Cug,
Are the bar end weights for the Barkbusters really worth it? Been tossing the idea around a bit.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #428
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Cug,
Are the bar end weights for the Barkbusters really worth it? Been tossing the idea around a bit.
They made a slight difference. Whether it's worth it depends on your own perception. The price didn't let me think twice about them, therefore they're on. It expensive for a piece of metal, but nothing I'll cry about.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #429
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
The vibes are not bad as is but if they performed some sort of magic, as in a noticeable difference from stock, then I would get them. Sounds like I will wait a bit.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #430
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
Thanks dirtysouth and tampajim.

I've had other clear screens on motorcycles that didn't have glowing edges at night...I think it's that the Madstad sticks out far enough forward to pick up light off the headlight. Also, other clear screens I've had look like they were molded into their shape. The Madstatd looks like it was cut to shape from a curved piece of plexiglass, so the edge is different than if it were molded.

I can't see painting the screen...since it's a large screen, there are times when I need to look through it, and painting it would not work at all. I'll do some testing with electrical tape to see what I need to black out, then either paint just the edge or find something to cover that lower leading edge.
Typical absorbtion and reflection properties. More prominent becaue the screen is likely coated so it performs like the cladding of fiber optics. The edges will pick up light from other sources besides your headlights as well. Best to do the whole perimeter of the screen.

As for painting screens, I like to do mine for this reason and cutting down glare from the guages bouncing off the screen and from the sun bouncing off the guages. The Guzzi was the most reflective of any bike I had. It was like heads-up display but upside down, so I had 2 light sources pulling my eyes in different directions. It became very tiring. The Krylon works real well. I use the Krylon matte on the inside as a 1st coat so it sticks, then a heavier flat to diffuse the light even more. No more painful eyestrain.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #431
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
The vibes are not bad as is but if they performed some sort of magic, as in a noticeable difference from stock, then I would get them. Sounds like I will wait a bit.
I concur. They help a bit but nothing amazing. Kinda need them with risers IMHO.

With respect to Tiger naps, the stock foot pegs seem to bend easily and are likely to lose some shape in an off.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #432
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I had a highside due to a deer hitting my front wheel. The engine guards (Triumph), Barkbuster Storm, and the rear paddock stand bobbins saved the bike from being totaled.
Think I'll leave my bobbins on then! Was going to sell them off after buying a center stand...
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #433
Hallwine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Farkel Crash Testing

Just a bit on the engine/tank bars
I had (have) the OEM engine bars and the HB upper bars & pannier frames.
Well I had a little "lack of friction moment" at about 45 ish mph on tarmac and visited the crash barrier and the ditch...
So the damage was engine bars bent, top bar bent ( a lot), HB pannier frames bent a little. The top bar and the left engine bar were too bent to reuse.
But the engine, frame, tank and most of the plastics were OK. Scratched but not destroyed. Instruments and screen were wiped off...
Axel bobbins had little scratches so probably protected something...
Fortunately I have fully comp insurance but if not for the protection bars i think they would have written off the whole thing (3000 ukp for parts as it was)
If I had not had the fully comp and I had been fixing it myself, parts bill would have been much less (as scratches don't need fixing to get back on the road) The tank had scratches and was replaced but it would have been ok if self repairing, ditto mudguard and most of the plastics.

One of the footpegs was bent at the end so must be pretty soft stuff. I Have fitted the 15 mm lower Motech ones, they feel wider and longer than the OEM.

Anyway I have tigger back, good as new, now just waiting for the snow to go away

The HB top protection bar was OK and did its job but I think the TT one has better coverage and fixing points

OEM handgaurds were rubbish in the crash, I had fixed the lack of weather protection with some homemade ali spoilers just sheet cut to shape and pop riveted in place. Not sure what I will fit next Barkbusters look good, but I mainly want them for weather protection though Tiger 1050 ones were good for that on my scrambler. But also not reinforced.

Hope this helps someone with decision making

Hallwine screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 09:27 AM Reason: cant spell
Hallwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #434
JWalton
How do I wheelie?

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallwine View Post
Just a bit on the engine/tank bars...
...Hope this helps someone with decision making
Thanks for the report! Field testing is good TO READ ABOUT. Better to have someone else do the testing
Looks like the TT uppers and the OEM lowers are a good combo.

Glad to hear that "tigger" and rider are ok. Just curious - what rider protection were you wearing? I'm reviewing pants/jackets/gloves with protection/pads. I'm also trying to convince myself that I don't really need a pair of SIDI ADV boots that are ridiculously priced - but keep going back to safety/protection of my ten piggy's

-JW
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #435
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWalton View Post
Thanks for the report! Field testing is good TO READ ABOUT. Better to have someone else do the testing
Looks like the TT uppers and the OEM lowers are a good combo.

Glad to hear that "tigger" and rider are ok. Just curious - what rider protection were you wearing? I'm reviewing pants/jackets/gloves with protection/pads. I'm also trying to convince myself that I don't really need a pair of SIDI ADV boots that are ridiculously priced - but keep going back to safety/protection of my ten piggy's

-JW
As someone that was wearing Sidi street boots while riding the CDT on my 1150GS Adv, I'd say ante up and get the Sidi Crossfire's...I wish I had before the CDT trip...then I might not have the screws in the tibia I fractured on the trail when the bike tipped over.