Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #1306
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,626
Been following your ride report from the start and you can count me in on a hard copy of your book. And yes, I'd like to have it signed as well.

I was hoping to meet up with you in New Orleans....maybe next time. Everyone eventually comes back to New Orleans. By the way, I was window shopping for the Panigale, back in August, at the New Orleans showroom. I mentioned your epic ride, I doubt they'd remember by the time you showed up.
Contevita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #1307
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
Been following your ride report from the start and you can count me in on a hard copy of your book. And yes, I'd like to have it signed as well.

I was hoping to meet up with you in New Orleans....maybe next time. Everyone eventually comes back to New Orleans. By the way, I was window shopping for the Panigale, back in August, at the New Orleans showroom. I mentioned your epic ride, I doubt they'd remember by the time you showed up.
I took time out from Fest last year to stop in that showroom. I've been attending Fest since 1979, but never arrived on two wheels ... yet. Time constraints dictate "wings of man" this year for 2nd weekend, but maybe next year...

-dan
Old 01-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #1308
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
An eBook... absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately I'm still stuck in the 2k's with my paper books, but when they're released you can count me in.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #1309
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse v View Post
An eBook... absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately I'm still stuck in the 2k's with my paper books, but when they're released you can count me in.
Nothing wrong with that. There's something tangible about holding an actual book in one's hands.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #1310
lurw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
If it will be shipped overseas I will definitely buy the version you can hold in your hand, and keep it in a special place on my reading shelf.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #1311
Duflul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Crap, I stumbled onto your rr yesterday and have been reading ever since and didn't realize I came to the end of it.
It's been absolutely amazing, I can't wait for last leg and the novel and it's certainly motivating me to jump on my sp1 when spring hits and just go riding for a couple of weeks.

Also, thanks for turning me onto Carissa's weird, awasome music.

A fan from Amsterdam.
Duflul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #1312
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 554

Nothing quite as cute as a Duc taking to the water. . . . . . . OK, I'll shut up.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #1313
ValuePack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Of note:

I *will* buy the coffee table book, and *will* buy the novel. Hell, I'd still chip in even if they were about the proper way to sort marbles, so long as the words are your own! Not the iPad edition however, I digitally rot my eyes out enough as it is.

Thanks for everything, AH. Let us know when you're ready for our money. Ha!
ValuePack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #1314
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValuePack View Post
Of note:

I *will* buy the coffee table book, and *will* buy the novel. Hell, I'd still chip in even if they were about the proper way to sort marbles, so long as the words are your own! Not the iPad edition however, I digitally rot my eyes out enough as it is.

Thanks for everything, AH. Let us know when you're ready for our money. Ha!
Marble-sorting, lol. Would make for some nice pictures, though. ;)

Hard-copy books are still in progress....soon....soon.....

For now: On to LA!

I've been through a few bad storms, but the one I hit leaving DV for LA was definitely the most dangerous of the trip. The road the old dude warned me about was filled with large pools of standing water. I tried to maintain a balance between riding fast enough to not freeze to death and 'slow' enough to avoid hydroplaning spectacularly to my death. Apparently I error'd on my estimation of how slow 'slow enough' was and came as close to catastrophe as one can get. Once out on a main highway, the monsoon continued, but instead of just worrying about me losing all traction I had to worry about 3-4 lanes of traffic doing the same. Being near invisible in the gray-out conditions didn't help. Were it not for vigilance, Ducati ABS and Traction Control I might have not accomplished one of the goals I set when I first began the ride report (don't end up in the morgue).

Things dried out eventually and I made it to Irvine, where I warmed my bones in the hotel shower and washed away the post-traumatic stress.

While out scavenging for dinner I found the shot that captures the picturesque, radiant and 'devoid-of-people' side of LA I like so much (a difficult combination to find, but it's there):

AntiHero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #1315
gueroaero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeymike View Post

Nothing quite as cute as a Duc taking to the water. . . . . . . OK, I'll shut up.

This picture makes me want to ride, for some reason. lol
gueroaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #1316
erockmapquest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
LA photo op

Griffith Observatory would be a cool back drop for the Duc.
erockmapquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #1317
3B43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Isn't riding in a torrential downpour, aka 'Noah Weather', FUN? Last time I was riding toward the ark, I was headed toward Weed on I5.....luckily my bike floats!
3B43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #1318
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
My last gully washer was returning from Toronto last July. Plenty of lightning and scary wind, but my scariest drencher was two years ago returning from the eastern shore of MD. Crossing a long steel suicide grating above the Verrazano Narrows in a 50-knot side wind and torrential downpour was cause for a fresh set of undies, and not so much because they got wet [g].

-dan
Old 01-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #1319
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

I finished the hardbound book project! Well, one size at least. Two options are available: hard-cover with a dust jacket printed on 80lb paper and 2) hard cover that has images printed right on the binding on premium lustre 100lb paper. Both are Large Landscape Format (13x11 inches/33x28 cm). Both are 60 pages.

For an idea of the size:

There's also a PDF available that.

Though the PDF and eBooks are cheap, the physical copy is expensive. (I know, in order to publish anything I had to buy 3 versions of the eBook, 1 of the PDF and one of the hard-copy book). My royalty is ~5%, and Blurb keeps the rest. (Clearly not a great strategy for me trying to support my next trip.) There is a coupon code good until Jan 28th, though, for 25% off (COZY). I'm considering doing a smaller, less-expensive book, but it requires me reformatting everything all over again, which takes days of effort.

To note: I have not received the printed copy yet, so I can't verify if there are any formatting issues that only show up in the printed material and not in the electronic version. If there are any issues, they should be fairly insignificant, but again--I won't know until I can hold it in my hand and can't guarantee perfection at this time.

For those who requested a signed copy there are a couple options.
1) Send me a PM with the type of book you want. When I have a complete list, I'll work out the rest of the details/costs.
2) Pick your favorite picture from the Ride Report and I'll print a copy, sign/personalize it and mail it to you (you can simply paste it into the first page, which is blank).

Link is here, with a sample of the first 15 pages: http://www.blurb.com/user/store/AntiHero_X

AntiHero screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 01:54 PM
Old 01-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #1320
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Onto the rest of the ride!

Back to where this trip began:

Having hit 15,000 miles in Death Valley (or maybe even a little before), I brought my bike into Ducati Newport Beach to have my first 'major' service done. I hope you're sitting down. When I called to ask how much it was I was not. Though Ducati has done a great job of doubling the time between valve adjustments (15K for the 1199 vs. 7500 miles for the 1098/1198/848), the frameless design requires complete disassemby of the bike. Swingarm, forks, everything. 16 hours, $1898.24.

Makes the look of these in the showroom a little less appealing:

If that wasn't bad enough, Ducati Newport Beach doesn't have loaner bikes. No loaners? That might not seem out of the ordinary for a Kawasaki or Yamaha dealer, but EVERY Ducati and Triumph dealer I've been to offered me loaners for anything more than a blinker fluid flush. Hell, for $2K I could have bought a bike! Aaron, the sales manager, offered to let me use his personal bike, but instead I just holed it up at a motel a couple blocks away (which added another $180 to the cost of the service for a two night stay).

And if that's not bad enough? The valves were in spec and didn't need adjustment. Fuck me!

The service guys did, however, completely detail the bike while it was apart, which probably took 10 hours alone. Still....