ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #19291
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
I hear the DR400 is a pretty good option...
Fixt.

5,000 miles and I have replaced a battery and changed the oil.
Oh, the stock turn signals are fragile.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #19292
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
Chalanda!

Even KLR's know that Orange is Da Bomba.......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #19293
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Even KLR's know that Orange is Da Bomba.......
Even the the KLR can LOOK fast.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #19294
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
1) burning oil right now. Like clockwork supposedly on these 08-11 engines, right at 80-90 hours.

Stock rings are a crappy design. http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=462748&st=0 There are also 3-4 other things. They're pretty well documented on KTM talk. Once they're addressed this engine is as solid as the RFS but better performing in opinion.

2) goal is a solid bike that last for several years with no issues, that handles awesome/I love it every time I ride it. I can deal with it now or can deal with it later. No reason not to deal with it now.

3) Its definitely hands down up there with the nicest and best performing bike I've ever ridden. Therefore I'm psyched to keep it.

I've ridden and ridden with EFI bikes and while its nice, its definitely not a game changer in my opinion so I don't think I'll be tempted to get a new bike. Not a lot I can gain from ditching this bike and getting a 12 & later KTM in the future. Even the RFS bike exceeds my capabilities, but I can definitely a difference in the '08 & later of course. '10 and later (they dropped frame another 10mm from the head tube) are nearly identical to the current 500s and 450s.

4) Therefore with a goal of a 3 year bike I feel like I picked a good candidate. A lot of this (getting back to basics) is because my goal/interest in adventure riding. This means 2500 miles a year on average, and 90 hours is only 2-3 trips for me.

I don't want to be dicking around with burning oil or potentially blow up my engine somewhere because all of a sudden it started burning oil again.

Therefore I'm OK with putting in the money to fix it and do it right because I think its worth it. Particularly if I ride it for a bunch of years. This is also why I'm putting in time to get the rust off frame and powdercoated (bike was stored outside), etc, also get the wiring completely dialed with the street legal conversion. No crappy chinese wiring.

5) DHJ has a bunch of upgrades and mild mods to the 08-11 that make it completely solid. Some folks call it his 10,000+ mile engine. Fixes the oil pump transfer and leak issues. Merges the chambers. Tensioner. Can also bore the empty 300cc chamber in the middle of the engine for added oil capacity, which is also nice, if I want to do this. Only $100 for him to do this.

6) Only complaint is a little loss of high end on this bike. Might be rings again but the carb mod adds a little high end, and maybe some head work. Then I feel like I have the perfect engine.

The ultimate for durability is Thumper Racing sleeves (same as in your 525, I was talking to Doug about it a couple days ago) that are some high nickel aluminum that are even more durable than stock. The 518 would be sleeved, 450 would stay stock.

518 would be nice for the desert. Only time I would regret it is on some of the technical climbs on Fano's loop a little less power is nice and the 450 feels nicer... Also remember I'm 6'5 240 lbs... That extra power, particularly with another 30 lbs of gear, is nice at times... Folks day the short stroke 518 feels/handles better than the long stroke 510 engine. Sort of like a corvette engine versus a diesel both with the same HP.

It's all semantics, but just mentioning...
The reason I asked why was I think you'll find once its rebuilt and not worn out and jetted right it will have plenty of power. Those motors have plenty of power stock. I'd spend the money on suspension and gas to go ride if I was you.
frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #19295
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
DJH needle

The DJH needles I have seen have a very slight machine work on them and run like 35 bucks.I have used the YZ needle on three bikes.One stock 525,.one built 525 and one 570.Each ran noticeably better,stronger and smoother.Dave eventually refunded the moola for his needles.Dave does good work on carbs but in my opinion his needle falls short of the one I use.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #19296
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
thanks Mung.. I was talking with him about it and was pretty sure he was using some stock needles now, the 5 digit OMJXX something can't remember, but I might be wrong but definitely good to know...

Frog also thanks too and good feedback. Been talking it over with some friends and I think you're completely right, so I'll definitely skip the big jug and stock will be most reliable too...

See how it comes together I suppose... :)

Suspension on this one has been gone through, feels awesome in the rear... But too soft in the front though the high speed ie whoops valving is correct. Biggest thing is I have PDS-4 in the rear, which I like but it's defintely unbalanced...
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #19297
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,600
Eek set up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
feels awesome in the rear... But too soft in the front though
I guess this hits a little too close to home for Pluric to have snapped it up
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #19298
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,010
Quote:

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #19299
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
bravo Utard bravo.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #19300
mung
Studly Adventurer

PDS 4 worked very well with .48 in the front for me.[275 ready to ride]
Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #19301
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Perfect, is your bike 08/later?

Also, BRP moto is having a crazy deal on Klim gear right now just FYI. These are very rare, probably clearing out 2012 stock for a redesign...

http://www.brpmoto.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=49
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #19302
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 833
Adv van davis county

I saw a dark 15 psgr ford van near bountiful with an adv sticker and a plate that said dontobox or something like that. A fellow utard?
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #19303
2wheeladv
Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer: 164
Death Valley

February 1st-4th a few of us are taking our 800 GS' to Death Valley. Does anyone have 3-4 trail recommends?

We are using Vegas as our base camp

The damn inversion is really getting on my nerves...
2006 Big Dog K-9
1969 Triumph 650cc
2wheeladv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #19304
mung
Studly Adventurer

Used the same springs on 04 525 exc and 05 525 sx. Klim stuff is even cheaper at Atomic Moto. Got some gear from them last week and each piece is about ten bucks cheaper.Bought hot weather gear when it is 25 below-thats thinking!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #19305
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Killer... I have a set of older baja pants that I was thinking of replacing, along those lines!

I ran the PDS-4 on the '02 which is the same as all of the RFS bikes. In '08 they went to a new leverage ratio so the springs react differently, which is why I ask.
This is why the stock bikes come with lighter springs '08 and later. So the PDS-4 feels great on the '10, but it's definetly stiffer than when it was on the '02. But because it's progressive its soft up top, basically it just takes a little more to get it to setting in deep, still nice and tall at the top. I actually like the feeling, but like I said its a little mushy in the front... (waiting for the Kev quote again.. ). So I want to stiffen it up a little, maybe '48s are probably a call along with a revalve maybe. Right now its revalved with the stock springs (I believe, PO stuff) and it mostly just feels OK. It's valved very stiffly on the high speed compression ie taking hits etc, which feels good. Never bottoms. But it's also a little too stiff on the compression on rocks and things like that. I have some more adjustments I was planning to make before I send them off, but I might just send them off regardless.. The forks definitely aren't performing like other bikes with work into the suspension, in my opinion, but are close... The shock is also revalved and has a nitrogen bladder in it and overall I'm pretty happy with it/no real complaints.

dieselcruiserhead screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 12:13 PM