Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Any UOA on this oil yet?
bv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #77
SpeedyK
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 237
I'm very interested, but curious why the VOA on the 15w-50 shows low ZDDP. I saw a mention of 1371, wondered why the disparity. Need it for flat-tappet engines, so that number is important. Please clarify...

So far I've noticed is a correspondence between ZDDP and quiet running on my bikes. Mobil1 V-Twin (11/qt) is quietest, has something like 1600 ZDDP, then Valvoline ZR-1 dino (7/qt) is next in quietness with around 1300. I have some Brad Penn to try yet and some of the Syntec for vintage engines, just need to ride more so I can test them all out.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #78
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by bv11 View Post
Any UOA on this oil yet?
I have posted some VOA's and there might be some UOA's floating around on the "old" formuation but I dont have any on my pc.

Coming the 3rd week of January 2013 - a completely new formulated high Zinc/ new additive package Full-Synthetic 15W50 and the result of popular demand a new Full-Synthetic 10W40 with the same booster additive pack. High TBN retention was one of the requirements. The VOA on the 10w40 a couple pages back was the initial formulation so you will have to wait until January for the latest info when I am allowed to release the information and cost.

Thanks,
Bern
aiMhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #79
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyK View Post
I'm very interested, but curious why the VOA on the 15w-50 shows low ZDDP. I saw a mention of 1371, wondered why the disparity. Need it for flat-tappet engines, so that number is important. Please clarify...

So far I've noticed is a correspondence between ZDDP and quiet running on my bikes. Mobil1 V-Twin (11/qt) is quietest, has something like 1600 ZDDP, then Valvoline ZR-1 dino (7/qt) is next in quietness with around 1300. I have some Brad Penn to try yet and some of the Syntec for vintage engines, just need to ride more so I can test them all out.

Speedy K - I can tell you that we heard what you are saying about the ZDDP. This is the expensive part to oils....
We also felt it was lacking a bit on the 15W50 so we set a benchmark to Royal Mfg. and they have changed to a different Zinc booster additive package. See the VOA a page back and you will see 1750 on Zinc, however they upgraded the entire additive package so I cant wait for the latest oil to come my way and run VOA/UOA. That information and product will be available for both the 15W50 and 10W40 third week of January.

Thanks,
Bern

aiMhi screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 03:08 PM
Old 12-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #80
SpeedyK
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 237
Thanks for the info, I'll pop by again to check out the new oil. Maybe use the first post for complete listings on VOA, weights, and prices so it's easy to find.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #81
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

10-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyk View Post
thanks for the info, i'll pop by again to check out the new oil. Maybe use the first post for complete listings on voa, weights, and prices so it's easy to find.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #82
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,994
you have my intrest

I am ready for a oil change (1,k miles on oil) on my 2012 DR650, 7k on the clock. Amsoil 10w40 being the oil of choice. Ill run a UOA on it. Ive done prior ones.
I am going to purchase the new formulated blend here as soon as available.
Ill go the same mileage and send it out to Blackstone as well for a head to head comparo on the 10w40 blend with the thumper/shared gearbox/wet clutch mill.
If it's better, you got my business.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #83
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiMhi View Post
. That information and product will be available for both the 15W50 and 10W40 third week of January.
update us with the new product deets when they're available. i gotta new to me 450exc and this oil looks promising!
Old 12-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #84
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Guys - Thank you for the comments. I am going to see if we can get the new product released in Gallon jugs so putting that together. I think it would be a better proposition than having to buy a full case.

Later,
Bern

aiMhi screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 01:02 PM
Old 12-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #85
bobbybeemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Show us some real tests

OK, been following this oil thread. All the talk has been on Zinc. The oil tests from Blackstone are a joke, read the summary the guy writes, things like "this should be good oil" ect...... Not your typical lab language. Show me ASTM tests, shear, four ball wear tests high temp shear ect.... All done with ASTM reference.
There is more to oil than Zinc content, and honestly if my oil is six or ten bucks a quart I don't care as long as the price reflects the quality.
Got good oil? Sow us the data using real lab tests to test wear, shear, hi temp shear, vis stability, foaming, ect.....
bobbybeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #86
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybeemer View Post
OK, been following this oil thread. All the talk has been on Zinc. The oil tests from Blackstone are a joke, read the summary the guy writes, things like "this should be good oil" ect...... Not your typical lab language. Show me ASTM tests, shear, four ball wear tests high temp shear ect.... All done with ASTM reference.
There is more to oil than Zinc content, and honestly if my oil is six or ten bucks a quart I don't care as long as the price reflects the quality.
Got good oil? Sow us the data using real lab tests to test wear, shear, hi temp shear, vis stability, foaming, ect.....
Been following this oil thread for a while huh?
ASTM tests on the "old" 15W50 ASTM 4052, ASTM D92, ASTM D97, ASTM D1500, ASTM D445... are on post #5 and Blackstone also includes the ASTM D92, D96, D44 on the VOA.

Blacktone Labs are one of the largest most reputable oil analysis companies in the USA - period. Most consumers are not tribologists so they need a plain English interpretation from a reputable company so they can understandit... that is their objective and really... most people dont know or care to know that their oils Specific Gravity@60F= 0.85637:

Blackstone Labs http://www.blackstone-labs.com/about-us.php "Established in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in 1985, Blackstone Laboratories strives to provide an easy-to-use, understandable, and accurate oil analysis program with the fastest turnaround in the industry. At the heart of our program is ICP (inductive coupled plasma) spectrometry, database averages for comparing wear, and a comments section on each report that explains — in plain English! — what your results mean."

BTW I dont know anyone that even knows anyone that works at Blackstone Labs.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:19 AM   #87
bobbybeemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Show the wear test

Show the wear tests and other performance tests that should be done on any oil released for public use.
bobbybeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:10 AM   #88
SCBonneville
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Show the wear tests and other performance tests that should be done on any oil released for public use.
bobby... please show me where to locate these wear tests that "should be done on any oil released for public use" from any other oil "manufacturer"... Amsoil is the only brand that I have ever seen that posts them... Castrol? Mobil? Redline? Haven't seen their "wear tests" results posted... And to tell you the truth, while the "results" are nice info, it is more of a marketing blurb than a deal breaker, for me anyway...

Also, understand that an oil "analysis" is a very different animal than a "wear test" An oil anaysis will show the elemental metals contained in the oil and the additive package... plus, the TBN number shows the "health" of the additive package when an analysis is done on used oil...

What I find most important in looking at MC oils, since I run an air cooled, wet clutch, trans lubed by engine oil, is what is the oils base stock really made of? Is it TRULY a synthetic? Is it a class 4 (PAO)? Is it a class 5 (diester)? Or is it a class 3 super hydro cracked dino oil base?

Who tells you right up front what base stock they use? Castrol? Nope.. they're the original offenders... Mobil? Sorry... their lips are sealed.. The only manufacturers that I have found that will tell you exactly what base stock they use, right up front are Amsoil, Redline and Monarch...

If I'm popping out big bucks for a "synthetic" oil... I want to know that it is really a synthetic... Not a "super hydro cracked" dino oil...
SCBonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #89
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

BobbyBeemer - If you would like to challenge Royal Mfg. claims or want additional ASTM performance tests in addition to the (7) posted here feel free to reach out to Dr Paul Salter, Laboratory Manager of Riverside Laboratories at pauls@royalmfg.com or at (p) 918-587-5711. I heard they now have a ICP "Inductively Coupled Plasma" Machine that can make for a great conversation....LOL!

Riverside Laboratories is the oil analysis arm of Royal Mfg. They actually do oil testing for the heavy equipment business (construction, trains, ships, fleet, etc...). You can also check out the Product Datasheets that they have published on their site for every product. The lastest formulations of their synthetic motocycle oils (10W40 & 15W50) are not posted yet since they have not yet released the product yet.

If you want to test it out yourself - I back all sales with a full refund (on un-used quarts of course).

Quote:

aiMhi screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 08:20 AM
Old 01-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #90
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Update: 01/17/12 Slight delay due to certification delays

New reformulated Full-Synthetic 10W40 & 15W50 to be released Feb 1st-8th