Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #3181
The Wolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
Pretty sure tuneecu tunes the map. xc tool loads the map.
If the mapping is loaded onto the tune ecu website, it can then be loaded onto the bikes ecu. its the same as the rc8's, dukes, superdukes, enduro r, smc, adventure... They all have "MAPS" that can be uploaded via tuneECU. akro maps, custom tuned maps etc etc...

why would it be any different for the 500?
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #3182
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
I've never owned a KTM, but in reading many threads on many of the boards, I may have an answer to your question. New laws in the EU are much more stringent for 2013. Many limit HP and establish new licensing tiers. Others are stricter on emissions, exhaust systems, and limit what changes can be made to them to restrict or prohibit the aftermarket from circumventing mandated emissions standards. I would propose that new regulations require KTM to take steps to make the ECU's less accessible. I believe that you can find some of these references earlier in this thread. I suggest you read it from the beginning. 2013 is a whole new ball game.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #3183
The Wolf
Gnarly Adventurer

ive read it... both 500 threads on this forum beginning to end. ive also read every thread pertaining to the 500 that google could find me.

i suggest somebody just ATTEMPTS putting the map on tuneECU. i have a 2012 RC8 R, tune ecu software has no problems uploading maps to that bike.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #3184
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,703
The dirt bike fuel injection is a totally different system than the RC8/LC8/LC4 models. Tune ECU doesn't support it, yet. Here's hoping they will sometime.

The US model EXC and XCW models are 'California Green Sticker Legal' which means they are closed maps, not open maps. You can replace the map with a Euro/Aust map which are Open Maps, also known as 'Un-Restricted Maps'. You can do this with the KTM XC1 tool, I don't know of any other software that can do this. Your dealer risks a $5000 fine if they do it. Somewhat dampens their enthusiasm.

Once you get an un-restricted map, then you can modify it with the KTM User Setting Tool. This is a $450 tool available from KTM NA. You can modify the accel richen, the timing, the fuel mix, etc, and completely screw it up. Also, it contains the other maps that the wild/mild map plugs will access.

Dat's the facts, Jack.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:06 AM   #3185
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
The dirt bike fuel injection is a totally different system than the RC8/LC8/LC4 models. Tune ECU doesn't support it, yet. Here's hoping they will sometime.

The US model EXC and XCW models are 'California Green Sticker Legal' which means they are closed maps, not open maps. You can replace the map with a Euro/Aust map which are Open Maps, also known as 'Un-Restricted Maps'. You can do this with the KTM XC1 tool, I don't know of any other software that can do this. Your dealer risks a $5000 fine if they do it. Somewhat dampens their enthusiasm.

Once you get an un-restricted map, then you can modify it with the KTM User Setting Tool. This is a $450 tool available from KTM NA. You can modify the accel richen, the timing, the fuel mix, etc, and completely screw it up. Also, it contains the other maps that the wild/mild map plugs will access.

Dat's the facts, Jack.
Must be different here in Canada. The dealer I bought my EXC from re-mapped it to the XCW, re-geared it (14/50), de-restricted the OE muffler, removed the smog crap and it runs great, all for 400.00. I thought that was a good deal when you look at the price of each.

Garrett
Old 01-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #3186
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

There I was...

...minding my own business changing my front sprocket to a 13 tooth. I'm tightening it up and the effing head of the effing bolt broke off. Stunned silence, shock, WTF do I do now? I fight the overwhelming urge to throw the stupid effing torque wrench through the wall, choke back some vomit and walk into the house.
My buddy Mark, plumber and fixer of buggered valves, busted nuts, rusted whaddya call its and all round handy dude, happened to come over and talked me down off the ledge and told me an easy out will work fine to remove the remains of the bolt from the counter shaft. He was right,it worked great, spun the bolt right outta there. I went a bought another bolt from my local dealer and I'm back in business.

Interestingly enough the dealer I spoke to told me it happens all the time. The Canadian Tire easy out kit is the best thing on the planet!

Now, if I could just get my bloody signal lights to work properly again...

Garrett
Old 01-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #3187
The Wolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post

Dat's the facts, Jack.
lol, thanks for info... jack

but this aint my first rodeo
Old 01-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #3188
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
lol, thanks for info... jack

but this aint my first rodeo
I'm sure TuneECU will work just fine, once they figure out the programming end of things. I bugged them to open it up for the 690 a few years ago. They sent me a few programs, so I could read the source code of the ECU and then sent all the files to them. Three weeks later, I was tuning my 690 with TuneECU.

The street bikes and dirt bikes aren't that different, they share a lot of the same components.... TPS, O2, MAP etc etc etc Actually, the 690 is closer to the dirt bikes than the street bikes . It will happen, someone just needs to step up and contact TuneEcu instead of making up stories on the internet

Thankfully, I own an XC-W!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #3189
Night Crawler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post

Now, if I could just get my bloody signal lights to work properly again...

Garrett
Try plugging the stock flasher back in and see what happens.
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #3190
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post
Try plugging the stock flasher back in and see what happens.

Hmmm, good idea, at least that will determine if the flasher is the problem.

Garrett
Old 01-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #3191
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Gearing

If anyone is wondering about 13/50 gearing I can tell you it really is nice for single track and hill climbs. You can ride the bike more in 2nd and 3rd. A quick downshift to 2nd in the middle of the climb is no big deal and the bike tractors nicely. I would say for hilly single track use 13 front and for dual sporty stuff 14 tooth is great.

Garrett

garrett screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 05:02 PM
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #3192
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
If anyone is wondering about 13/50 gearing I can tell you it really is nice for single track and hill climbs. You can ride the bike more in 2nd and 3rd. A quick downshift to 2nd in the middle of the climb is no big deal and the bike tractors nicely. I would say for hilly single track use 13 front and for dual sporty stuff 14 tooth is great.

Garrett
Speaking of gearing, I am trying to see what the min/max gearing is I can use with the same chain. I actually have a 350EXC, but there isn't a thread like this for it, and so much of these bikes is the same. The EXC comes with 14/45 gearing and the XCW has 13/52. So, I threw on a 13 and tried 13/45. Too high for single track, too low for DS. So, I am going to bite the bullet and get a spare set of wheels and gear them appropriately. That also saves me from the usual thing of putting fresh knobbies on for dirt ride, and then destroying them on a DS ride before I even hit the good dirt. Anyway, it would seem 13/52 will work on the "short end", my question is would I be able to adjust the chain tight enough on a 13/42 or even 13/40 for my DS gearing?

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #3193
Hueychief
FNG

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Speaking of gearing, I am trying to see what the min/max gearing is I can use with the same chain. I actually have a 350EXC, but there isn't a thread like this for it, and so much of these bikes is the same. The EXC comes with 14/45 gearing and the XCW has 13/52. So, I threw on a 13 and tried 13/45. Too high for single track, too low for DS. So, I am going to bite the bullet and get a spare set of wheels and gear them appropriately. That also saves me from the usual thing of putting fresh knobbies on for dirt ride, and then destroying them on a DS ride before I even hit the good dirt. Anyway, it would seem 13/52 will work on the "short end", my question is would I be able to adjust the chain tight enough on a 13/42 or even 13/40 for my DS gearing?
Not sure if this will help or not, but worth a try.
http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/
Old 01-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #3194
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueychief View Post
Appreciate the thought, but I can handle the math; my concern is enough adjustment in the chain to go to both extremes.

'13 350EXC-F
Old 01-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #3195
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueychief View Post
Ahh, now I see it will also calculate links. But it seems a little wacky; changing length by three links for a 2 tooth change on the rear.

'13 350EXC-F