Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #2761
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
A structured, meaningful coincidence. A series of seemingly random events that when put together create a definite outcome ... Its called Synchronicity .... thanks to Carl Jung

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity
OR: serendipity, The occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way-Websters
Regards....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 AM   #2762
stemic01
Steve Royset

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtronX View Post
Out of Krasnoyarsk we passed this old relic. A reminder of long gone and sometimes tense days.

EtronX: When I came to Krasnoyarsk and met the guys at one of the local biker clubs they had also invited a translator. This was a very nice elderly man who spoke english pretty well. He was still working a bit as a teacher. It turned out that he had been working at one of the missile plants here in Krasnoyarsk. So here I found myself meeting one of the guys who actually made these long distance rockets which we in the west feared in our younger years. He told stories about how it was to live and work here during the Soviet days. It was really fascinating to speak with this guy. I had some really amazing meetings with people here in Krasnoyarsk. The bikers were exceptional and let us stay at their club house, made a barbeque for us and use the garage for preparing the bikes for BAM! I totally agree with EtronX regarding the Russian people - it did really amaze me and I had to put aside a lot of my prejudices. What a journey!
- STRONGLY BELIEVE IN A LIFE BEFORE DEATH-
stemic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:54 AM   #2763
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
There are some nationalities that as an entire nation are fluent in English as non native speakers.

The Dutch are number 1. Best non native english speakers in the world ... Prutser and Beamster were obviously totally fluent.

English is just like the common language of Europe.

We native speakers are spoiled ... thats why we are lazy.
I think it's worse than that Walter. We Brits are shamefully embarrassed anywhere we go and the Dutch and Scandinavians are the best at making us (rightfully) feel that way. I'm constantly, cringingly appalled by the behavious of the Brits and yes, Americans too who expect not to have to put the tiniest effort in to international travel. I'm guilty too as I only learned a few words of Russian and the alphabet before I went.

Nyedalako? nyet..zdyez! Khorosho!!
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #2764
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,062
I have more than enough trouble getting English words out without trying to learn another language.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:13 AM   #2765
Erik RS
Three Wheel Maniac

Oddometer: 444
So shame on the Aussies also

Xtankteam™

Proud sponsor of the Sibirsky Extreme Project
Erik RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:20 AM   #2766
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Stepping back

All.
This seems like an opportune time to step back from the thread and let the guys actually participating in Chapter 3 tell the story without the distraction of posts from my ride across Russia.

Once they get to ...wherever they get to () I'll put put up the story of the ride across and onward to the UK via Moscow and Tony P.
If anyone's interested, the bike was faultless all the way and I ran the same tyres all the way home. 9000 miles in all.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, questions and PMs. If you have any more Qs either stick 'em up on the thread or PM me. Cheers.

Now. WTF happened next ??RC
Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #2767
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:

So true, but unfortunately, as English speakers, we don't see it that way which leads to our ignorance that Rod has alluded to.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #2768
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 649
This thread has gone beyond the realms of epic. I love the cast of thousands.
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #2769
Eldezento
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
There are some nationalities that as an entire nation are fluent in English as non native speakers.

The Dutch are number 1. Best non native english speakers in the world ... Prutser and Beamster were obviously totally fluent.

Followed by Swedes and Norwegians. Older Swedes and Norwegians dont speak much english, the younger ones are almost all fluent. Our boys here are middle aged Nordmenn but all very good with their English.

In Holland everyone leans FOUR languages in school ... Dutch (of course), English, German and French.

These days in Europe, everyone learns English in schools. When a Swede talks to a Norwegian, they will probably speak in English (sometimes Swedish if the Norwegian isnt ashamed to admit he speaks Svensk). When a Italian checks into a hotel in Czech Republic, he will talk in English. When a Dutchman talks to anyone anywhere outside of Holland or Flanders, he will speak English.

I know loads of mixed language couples (like a Frenchman married to Russian living in Poland) and they speak English to each other.

English is just like the common language of Europe.

There is another reason for learning english, too: Hollywood
Due to economics most movies get not translated to czech, greek, and even svensk, whereas every movie is synchronized to german, spanish,... So if you live in a small country (exactly: small population) you will see every blockbuster in english. When you are just 4 years old, you cannot read your own language, but you can follow to english movies.
so there is no wondering that people from eastern Europe a often speaking english much better then Germans or Austrians, like me: Although I learned it in school, I was not forced to speak or understand it in real life, apart from holidays in other countries. but this forum is my best training now
Eldezento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #2770
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldezento View Post
There is another reason for learning english, too: Hollywood
Due to economics most movies get not translated to czech, greek, and even svensk, whereas every movie is synchronized to german, spanish,... So if you live in a small country (exactly: small population) you will see every blockbuster in english.
The reason some countryes do NOT DUB movies... is not economics. Dubbing is soooo uncool. I would hate to watch a Hollywood movie with Finnish dubbing, no way. To hear the original actors voice, is part of the experience, that's why we use subtitles.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #2771
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Ride reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey Bentos View Post
This thread has gone beyond the realms of epic. I love the cast of thousands.
Hey FB.
Just reading your Scotland for the Brave report.

I'm trying not to guffaw out loud (did but told wifey I was sneezing) as wifey is sitting behind me and thinks I'm doing her Mum's birthday card on Moonpig...

sshhhh...
Old 01-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #2772
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Battery life aside, its probably better to burn up a cheap aircompressor than an expensive starter! Check out www.cyclepump.com for a quality electric pump.
Regards....justjeff
This is a terrific piece of gear. I've owned one for 5 years and it has always performed flawlessly.
CharlestonADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #2773
Motorrev
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Rod,

Sure going to miss you and your great writing and photography. Glad to know you made it home without any mishaps. Stay in touch and looking forward to your ride home report. THANKS! for your great contribution to this amazing report!!
Cheers,
Bob
Motorrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #2774
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
I wish my school had taught us two or three other languages right alongside english when we were first starting school. Studies seem to say that little kids learn languages much easier than do teens, say, and for sure easier than adults. But you can't really become fluent in another language here in America, I don't think. We don't have France, Germany, Italy or Spain nearby. The best we can do probably is French Canada and Chinatown in NYC or San Francisco, or the zone just north of the southern border! So even if we had years and years of language schooling, we'd only be fluent in the schoolbook version, not the way people actually speak on their home turf because we don't have the opportunity to practice speaking with native speakers. Also I suspect that here in America foreign languages are taught as an academic discipline but in Europe they might be taught more for everyday use because Europe is a place of many native languages? I was discussing this with a young woman who teaches French in high school here. She was very knowledgeable about how "street French" is actually spoken but I'll bet she doesn't get to teach it to her students. When I see her again I'll ask her.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #2775
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtronX View Post
Just before Kansk we stopped for gas. As we pulled to a stop we saw another bike there. It was a BMW R1150 GS with funny plates. We got our helmets of and said hello. Then we met Jacob.

Jacob was on his way to Vladivostok and then USA. He came from Israel and had just retired from what used to be called Mossad. He was a man of many words and now on his way around the world. We asked if he would ride with us to Irkutsk. That he would. The Trans Sibir eXpedition 2012 now counted four bikes for a short time.

I ran into Jacob (given name Doron) in Whitehorse in September. As y'all say, he's very much the loquacious guy. He's working his way around the world and maintaining a blog, though I've unfortunately lost the link to it He had a pretty aggressive schedule, and by my recollection he would likely be near Tierra del Fuego or beyond (I think Africa was next) by now.

Here's a pic of Doron/Jacob with another world rider, in Whitehorse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkins View Post
World-riders: Kornelius and Doron.

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote