User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #2491
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 17,993
An update.

I'm about 80% complete with the revisions and enhancements to the GPS file.

There are 26 usable but indistinct track segments that need to be recorded so we can get the best file we can. These are waypointed as "Needs Recording". Should be no problem for anyone that rides the track but it may require a little interpretation on the ground in those areas. Nothing to worry about though. As people ride and record these I can revise the file to get the best track we can in the GPX.

There are some long reaches for fuel in some places. Might be good to figure out how to get 200 miles in some spots. As people find more obscure places that offer fuel, we can add them to the file over time. I think I have 131 gas stops waypointed along the way. Some are off track but within reach.

I think I posted about 70 hospitals proximate to the route. Also things like Canadian Tire and Tim Hortons. Anyone that doesn't want these will be able to delete them from the file since they are grouped in the waypoint list. I think the file will have about 900 waypoints overall.

I'm still working dealers, camping, and POIs along the way.

I restructured the tracks with a new ordered naming convention. I also tightened them up to the .2 mile scale which is best for navigation (some were already nice and tight). Track segments are in order so that you can more easily measure distances between points along the way by highlighting multiple segments. I broke many of the tracks into gas to gas segments to make it easier to cipher gas intervals.

There are about 130 track segments right now. This means that someone that wants to ride the entire course will want a GPS that has mass storage and handles up to 200 tracks (62S, Oregon, Montana are examples).

I should be able to get the complete file out to Ted to post on the TCAT site for download by the end of the month. It takes a while to work some of this stuff and I lost a couple of weeks taking a Wilderness First Responder course.

Thanks for your patience.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 01:22 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #2492
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post

Thanks for all your effort.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #2493
just jeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Are We there yet? Are we there yet?! Just kidding!!
I really can't believe the amount of work you Guys are putting into this!! Thank YOU!
I also can't wait for riding season!
Best Regards....just jeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #2494
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,436
Awesome

Once finished we'll get it hosted asap

THANKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
I'm about 80% complete with the revisions and enhancements to the GPS file.

There are 26 usable but indistinct track segments that need to be recorded so we can get the best file we can. These are waypointed as "Needs Recording". Should be no problem for anyone that rides the track but it may require a little interpretation on the ground in those areas. Nothing to worry about though. As people ride and record these I can revise the file to get the best track we can in the GPX.

There are some long reaches for fuel in some places. Might be good to figure out how to get 200 miles in some spots. As people find more obscure places that offer fuel, we can add them to the file over time. I think I have 131 gas stops waypointed along the way. Some are off track but within reach.

I think I posted about 70 hospitals proximate to the route. Also things like Canadian Tire and Tim Hortons. Anyone that doesn't want these will be able to delete them from the file since they are grouped in the waypoint list. I think the file will have about 900 waypoints overall.

I'm still working dealers, camping, and POIs along the way.

I restructured the tracks with a new ordered naming convention. I also tightened them up to the .2 mile scale which is best for navigation (some were already nice and tight). Track segments are in order so that you can more easily measure distances between points along the way by highlighting multiple segments. I broke many of the tracks into gas to gas segments to make it easier to cipher gas intervals.

There are about 130 track segments right now. This means that someone that wants to ride the entire course will want a GPS that has mass storage and handles up to 200 tracks (62S, Oregon, Montana are examples).

I should be able to get the complete file out by the end of the month. It takes a while to work some of this stuff and I lost a couple of weeks taking a Wilderness First Responder course.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #2495
Feelstranger
likely lurking

Oddometer: 29
[QUOTE=Cannonshot;20512808]I'm about 80% complete with the revisions and enhancements to the GPS file.

Dude, you ROCK

Really hope to hit some of this on the way home from CDR.
Feelstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #2496
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 708
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...ravel%20travel

Old 01-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #2497
just jeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by BordenBmw View Post
So THAT's why the route swirls across Canada!!
Regards....just jeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #2498
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BordenBmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
So THAT's why the route swirls across Canada!!
Regards....just jeff

Old 01-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #2499
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Someone asked about this so I'll mention it now.

One of the products that will be available for Ted to post on the TCAT site for download is an image file that lays over your background map that shows the path as if it were imbedded into the maps on your unit. This can take the place of the 130 tracklines and can make more basic units suitable for riding this path.

I planned to keep the 900 or so waypoints separate from the overlay for several reasons, although they could be included in the overlay.

So, someone could load the map image (overlay) for the route and the waypoints and be good to go without loading the tracks. This means that an older unit with a 20 track limitation would work. The overlay could also be loaded and visible on some highway type units like some Nuvis.

There is a separate discussion on GPS units that might be good for this ride in the GPS forum.

I am looking at some color coding in the overlay to distinguish between the primary routes, alternate more rugged sections, and side trips to make the overlay a little clearer.

The image file can be easily loaded into the more modern mass storage units. For the older units it will have to go in via MapSource which requires a step to get it loaded there first.

Disregard the current color of the line of the path, but imagine this as a transparent overlay that puts the path on top of whatever background map you run.

Edit: I should have mentioned that we are talking Garmin GPS units here.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 01:55 PM
Old 01-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #2500
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

95% Complete Draft

I guess there are a lot of people wanting the updated file to do some planning with it so I am sending a 95% complete draft file to Ted to post for download on the TCAT site. It is important that we only use files from the TCAT site as all revisions will be captured and posted to the current master file there.

I will continue to polish the draft and add more information to it as we come up with more fuel points, detailed recordings of tracks in indistinct sections, and more dealer/camping/whatever information that would be useful in the file.

If you PM Ted or me with any issues or updates I will add it to or adjust the current master and periodically send a revision to Ted to post on the TCAT site as the latest master file. There will need to be adjustments in the tracks as we get more detail in the indistinct areas so to keep continuity and standardization in the product I'll keep helping out on it until we get it complete. A lot of effort but worth it if it makes it a little easier for the riders. It is handy to achieve some economy of effort by having a few do much of the logistics research instead of everyone independently trying to track down the same information (like fuel stops for example).

Here is what the current file looks like. There are around 10,300 miles of track line in the file. Taking out alternates and side trips the direct route is around 9,750 miles or so. There are 115 track segments of less than 500 points each. As of today there are 871 waypoints. (I did some trimming on the last revision). I will send Ted an overlay image of the tracks that Garmin users can load as a map overlay once I get that tweaked. This will allow some people to ride the path without having to upload the 115 tracks and allows some older models that are limited by 20 tracks to be used. You will still have to transfer the waypoints to your unit if you use the overlay in lieu of the tracks.

Tracks are drawn to be followed at the .2-.3 mi scale. There will be a variance in how closely the track lines up with the highways as they are depicted on different versions of maps. No worries, we tried to build the tracks from the best information available which may have been a combination of recorded tracks or varying map products.

I posted 96 waypoints for dealers proximate to the route. I tried to cover BMW, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, KTM, and Honda dealers. If someone needs some other brand, let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

I waypointed 73 hospitals along the route.

There are 26 segments that are not completely distinct that need to be recorded so we can get the best file we can. These are waypointed in the vicinity of the indistinct segments. You will have no problem figuring out the path to follow on the ground, but we want to get some riders to send us recorded track after they ride the path so we can get the best GPX file we can.

I waypointed 56 Timmies along the route for those that enjoy a cup of coffee every now and again. These kind of waypoints are grouped making them easy to delete if you don't want them.

I also waypointed 55 Canadian Tire stores along the way for people that want to stop for hardware or camping needs. Nice to be able to deal with a more predictable inventory/set up of sorts.

Now we get into the meat of it - gas stops. I have 134 waypointed right now. Some of them are off the route but within reach. Some of the track segments run from gas to gas to make it easy to measure gas intervals.

Please let me know if there is a reliable gas source along the way that is not currently captured so I can get it in the file for Ted. We would be looking for ones that would break up the long reaches.

Some gas-to-gas segments are over 200 miles.

This section in Labrador is about 250 miles between gas stops right now.

This section in Quebec is about 227 miles.

This section in Quebec is about 231 miles.

This section in BC is 258 miles.

This side trip in BC will run about 264 miles gas to gas.

Again, please let me know if you know of reliable gas that will break up some of the long stretches. I'll keep searching myself as well.

With people working together to get a few more pieces of information, we should have a great product to use this riding season.

Edit: Just realized I forgot to cover camping. I waypointed 174 campgrounds/sites in the file. Some are private, some are governmental. In areas where there are a cluster of campgrounds I only waypointed one or two. The rest can be easily located on the ground by asking a few questions or reading some highway signs. Most of the campgrounds have been verified, but some waypoints will show a question mark after the title. This indicates that although the site is still probably active, I did not (likely was not able to) verify it so it is a "probable". I'm sure there many camping opportunities, especially the small town ones, that I was not able to capture. Again, pass on any known sites that will break up the long intervals between sites and I'll get them in the file. No doubt some riders will be camping apart from formal campgrounds as they make their way on this journey. Other sources of lodging are pretty well documented in the data contained in the background maps so I didn't map it here. Some of the route authors contributed a couple of waypoints for lodges that are included in the GPX as well.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 02:00 AM
Old 01-20-2013, 03:53 AM   #2501
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Awesome, simply awesome work on the gps file

Re fuel....a couple of those sections....not one building or any signs of civilization...

Best to ensure you have plenty of fuel not only to get to the next fuel stop but also to get back if the trail is blocked, washed out, etc. When you do get to the "gas station" there may not be anyone there. Be prepared to wait, things run a bit differently out in the boonies. Folks are way more relaxed and many don't run their lives based on a clock. Worth noting as well that cash is the only form of payment accepted in several spots long the route.

You'll be in some of the most remote locations in North America accessible by road, plan accordingly

Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #2502
panama rob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
good job

You did a fantastic job on this. Thanks
rob shirley- panama
panama rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #2503
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 926
Thumb Wow

I can not believe the work you are putting into the GPS files.. just awesome sir.
Again a huge thanks to all who made this possible, the weeks riding, gas, time, beer etc...and now posting for free.
This is an epic trail put together and I plan on doing some of it this summer.
THANKS

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #2504
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Awesome, simply awesome work on the gps file

Re fuel....a couple of those sections....not one building or any signs of civilization...

Best to ensure you have plenty of fuel not only to get to the next fuel stop but also to get back if the trail is blocked, washed out, etc. When you do get to the "gas station" there may not be anyone there. Be prepared to wait, things run a bit differently out in the boonies. Folks are way more relaxed and many don't run their lives based on a clock. Worth noting as well that cash is the only form of payment accepted in several spots long the route.

You'll be in some of the most remote locations in North America accessible by road, plan accordingly
Again, thanks for all of this.
I'll be on my KTM 990 A.
Fitted with the Safari tanks, which are good for 400 miles.
After some good advise from Cannonshot and others on the GPS forum,
I'll be using a Montana 600 with Canada topo loaded, running the tracks
and my nuvi 550 with North America NT and the overlay for backup.

Has anyone ridden the whole route in one go yet ?

Twist it, Max
Old 01-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #2505
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Nope, it has yet to be run in its entirety.

I've ridden approximately half of it. Between the collective of folks who created the route, every inch of it has been ridden.

Wish i could be the first, i have plans on riding the half i haven't ridden but it's not in the cards for this year. 2014

Sounds like a few different groups are intending to ride from start to finish this year