Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 01:14 AM   #2056
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Here is my 2008 Sportsternightsterster. ster.
I made the luggage rack by welding up some basic mild steel from the hardware store. I can fit my top case and soft tail bag on top of it, good enough that I don't really need saddle bags.
The fog lights are mounted on a totally stylish piece of angle iron, which in turn is mounted to the forks with some even more stylish exhaust clamps.
I put some more foam in the seat to ease the butt pains, but it still kinda sucks.
Otherwise, it's just stock and is basically like new.
In the future, I will surely be changing out the rear shocks with something with more than 1" of travel, and some more ride height so I can actually go around turns without coming to a complete stop.
A better seat, slightly lower/narrower handlebars, and highway pegs would make it all right.

Eye of the Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #2057
Aghartha
Awesome

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2504 View Post
This is the CRD #21 from EXIF Bikes (http://www.bikeexif.com/harley-xl1200#more-14909). I don't normally like H-Ds (not enough seat height/ergo triangle space for me) but I REALLY like this custom. Wish more detail build info was available (like wheel source, rear shock length, rear frame mods, etc.).
Bike Exif is just a blog. Cafe Racer Dreams built the bike. Check with them if you want more info (I'm on a phone and lazy).
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #2058
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2504 View Post
This is the CRD #21 from EXIF Bikes (http://www.bikeexif.com/harley-xl1200#more-14909). I don't normally like H-Ds (not enough seat height/ergo triangle space for me) but I REALLY like this custom. Wish more detail build info was available (like wheel source, rear shock length, rear frame mods, etc.).
Total cost would be nice as well.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #2059
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

That is as close to a good looking HD that I've seen. Even with low pipes, it would look good. Why isn't this the standard bike?
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #2060
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
That is as close to a good looking HD that I've seen. Even with low pipes, it would look good. Why isn't this the standard bike?
Because every time they get remotely close to this with a production bike the sales numbers do not meet expectations. They will generally do a 3-4 year run then discontinue it.

People in mags and on forums say how they would buy if... Then they are nowhere to be found when it is produced.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #2061
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,251
Quote:
Because every time they get remotely close to this with a production bike the sales numbers do not meet expectations. They will generally do a 3-4 year run then discontinue it.

People in mags and on forums say how they would buy if... Then they are nowhere to be found when it is produced.
Oh, IDK...

I think that many people that say they would buy this bike would. Trouble is, we are still a very small minority when it comes to total sales figures for a company like the MoCo. While I LOVE it, it just doesn't have the mass market appeal in an industry that is steeped in "tradition" and fashion.

But, just looking at it, it doesn't appear to be something that would be too difficult to replicate.... Pick up a used Nightster, or similar... Chop off the fender struts and weld a frame loop on, add a fender, custom build a seat pan and get it upholstered, lace 17" aluminum rims to the stock hubs, longer shocks, rearsets, tank, and some misc. tidbits here and there. And judging from the angle of the lower frame rails I'd say they didn't do much, if anything to the front end other than the rim and fender. They even retained the stock brakes on this one. Be a nice winter project and I would think that a reasonable facsimile could be built for substantially less than it would sell for if the MoCo produced it.

Hmmmm.... those pics are going in my "inspiration folder" for sure!

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #2062
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,489
I like it a lot as well. Have you seen this on? Not as classic but it looks like fun.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #2063
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,743
Quote:

I recall the latest XR1200 debacle but a pure standard base bike could be in the $8k range, not compete with 13k bikes. Eh, who am I kidding? Every one I wanted to like was just too heavy and expensive or cobbled together. The 883R was one I tried to like till I sat on it.

That looks like a great way for them to hit the true standard market.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #2064
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
just looking at it, it doesn't appear to be something that would be too difficult to replicate.... Pick up a used Nightster, or similar... Chop off the fender struts and weld a frame loop on, add a fender, custom build a seat pan and get it upholstered, lace 17" aluminum rims to the stock hubs, longer shocks, rearsets, tank, and some misc. tidbits here and there. And judging from the angle of the lower frame rails I'd say they didn't do much, if anything to the front end other than the rim and fender. They even retained the stock brakes on this one. Be a nice winter project and I would think that a reasonable facsimile could be built for substantially less than it would sell for if the MoCo produced it.

Hmmmm.... those pics are going in my "inspiration folder" for sure!

The tank appears to be a 1990s vintage STORZ aluminum "road race" fuel tank.

I had one. Nice tank.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #2065
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
The tank appears to be a 1990s vintage STORZ aluminum "road race" fuel tank.

I had one. Nice tank.

According to the CRD SITE, it is a Storz alloy tank.

Not sure if it's exactly the same or not, but there are several tank options available that could be used for a similar build.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #2066
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Quote:
I like it a lot as well. Have you seen this on? Not as classic but it looks like fun.
Ok, that is hot. What is it?
Eye of the Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:29 AM   #2067
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of the Tiger View Post
Ok, that is hot. What is it?

S&S Wedge motor on that one.
You can see it here on their site.
gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #2068
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #2069
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Anyone have one of these Danny Gray BigButt seats? It has a built-in butt crack and looks pretty comfy. I need a big, comfy solo seat. Don't care how it looks.

https://www.denniskirk.com/danny-gra...prd/454385.sku
Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #2070
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of the Tiger View Post
Anyone have one of these Danny Gray BigButt seats? It has a built-in butt crack and looks pretty comfy. I need a big, comfy solo seat. Don't care how it looks.

https://www.denniskirk.com/danny-gra...prd/454385.sku
Never tried one but from what I read, if you want comfort, and don't care quite so much about the looks, a Mustang seat is what you might want to look into.