Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
If the catfish is true, a woman on the other end was true. They talked and cybered on skype.

None of it makes sense though

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #17
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
Well it sucks because he seemed like a stand up guy but now with this who knows.I don't understand how in this day of instant texts, emails, Skype there's no way he hasn't had visual contact with her, I'm betting he likes the sausage and she was a cover

I like Eric Davis take on it. There have been so many athletes that have done bad things to real girls and gone on to the NFL, what is the big deal about a made up one? He will be fine in the end.

Not like a LB is likely going to be a top ten pick anyway.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #18
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,481
You have to wonder, after Manti made a tackle, was he celebrating, or dancing with his girlfriend?
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,066

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #20
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
I like Eric Davis take on it. There have been so many athletes that have done bad things to real girls and gone on to the NFL, what is the big deal about a made up one? He will be fine in the end.

Not like a LB is likely going to be a top ten pick anyway.
Yeah there's others that have done worse, and these days this will make him more famous.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #21
oj may
Have bike, will travel.

Oddometer: 2,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post

Oh, the Hu Manti Tee
Old 01-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #22
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Check out the transcript from an interview he did with Sports Illustrated in September. It's long but worth reading.

Draw your own conclusion. I personally think there is no way Te'o isn't completely full of shit. The detail he goes into about his "girlfriend" in the hospital, how they met, etc. There is no way he was the victim of the hoax.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #23
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,352
I say he's guilty.

What was the question again?

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #24
oj may
Have bike, will travel.

Oddometer: 2,541
Is it a crime to be young and have hair?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #25
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseanhyzer View Post
Check out the transcript from an interview he did with Sports Illustrated in September. It's long but worth reading.

Draw your own conclusion. I personally think there is no way Te'o isn't completely full of shit. The detail he goes into about his "girlfriend" in the hospital, how they met, etc. There is no way he was the victim of the hoax.
Here is the thing I really don't get, why would he do it? I mean he already lost his grandmother, why would he need more sympathy than that. I mean I can draw a line and say, yeah, I could see him trying to make himself into some kind of great man who overcame great adversity but it still makes no sense.

If you are going to put yourself out in the spotlight like that you better know that someone is eventually going to find out. And that is why I honestly think he was just duped into believing this girl was real, and did in fact die.

Is it odd that they never met face to face, yes, is it even more odd that they never skyped, absolutely. The fact that he has never seen this girl makes it one of the oddest stories I have ever heard.

I am just not convinced on the motivation on his part. Why would he do it? Better question, did he really think no one would find out?
liquidsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #26
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmile View Post
Here is the thing I really don't get, why would he do it? I mean he already lost his grandmother, why would he need more sympathy than that. I mean I can draw a line and say, yeah, I could see him trying to make himself into some kind of great man who overcame great adversity but it still makes no sense.

If you are going to put yourself out in the spotlight like that you better know that someone is eventually going to find out. And that is why I honestly think he was just duped into believing this girl was real, and did in fact die.

Is it odd that they never met face to face, yes, is it even more odd that they never skyped, absolutely. The fact that he has never seen this girl makes it one of the oddest stories I have ever heard.

I am just not convinced on the motivation on his part. Why would he do it? Better question, did he really think no one would find out?
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I assume that Te'o is claiming they did meet in person.

Quote:
SI: Where did you meet her in California?
TE'O:She actually came to one of the games. She saw me at one of the games.
SI: October 15, I assume is USC?
TE'O:That was in November. But she saw me at the USC game of my sophomore year. We were still just friends, we were acquaintances.
Quote:
SI: How did you meet her?
TE'O: We met just, ummmm, just she knew my cousin. And kind of saw me there so. Just kind of regular.
SI: How long were you dating? I know that can be a complicated question.
TE'O:Oct. 15 was the official date. Of last year. I've known her for four years. So we've been friends.
SI: So you dated for about a year.
TE'O:Yeah.
So he says they met after one of his games and that they knew each other for years before they started dating. How can that be true if he was "hoaxed" into thinking she was real? It's really confusing because other people said they remember meeting her too. WTF is going on?

Old 01-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #27
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer

Completely missed that.

If he said he actually did meet her in person, all bets are off. It is odd that none of the talking heads have even brought up this part of the story. At least I have not heard it yet.

Lance Armstrong is happy, Teo is taking all his heat right now.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #28
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Here's an AP article from today. With Manti Te'o silent, question about hoax remain

Quote:
Te'o's agent, Tom Condon, said the athlete had no plans to make any public statements in Bradenton, Fla., where he has been training with other NFL hopefuls at the IMG Academy.

Notre Dame said Te'o found out that Kekua was not a real person through a phone call he received at an awards ceremony in Orlando, Fla., on Dec. 6. He told Notre Dame coaches about the situation on Dec. 26.

The AP's media review turned up two instances during that gap when the football star mentioned Kekua in public.

Te'o was in New York for the Heisman presentation on Dec. 8 and, during an interview before the ceremony that ran on the WSBT.com, the website for a South Bend TV station, Te'o said: "I mean, I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer. So I've really tried to go to children's hospitals and see, you know, children.''

In a column that first ran in The Los Angeles Times, on Dec. 10, Te'o recounted why he played a few days after he found out Kekua died in September, and the day she was supposedly buried.
"She made me promise, when it happened, that I would stay and play,'' he said on Dec. 9 while attending a ceremony in Newport Beach, Calif., for the Lott Impact Awards.

On Wednesday, when Deadspin.com broke the story, Swarbrick said Notre Dame did not go public with its findings sooner because it expected the Te'o family to come forward first.
So Manti told Notre Dame (on the 26th) he found out she wasn't real on Dec 6th but still went on talking about his dead girlfriend after that. ???? Maybe I'm too cynical. Maybe he was 100% fooled by someone's VERY elaborate hoax. Maybe it's a little of both but I'm pretty convinced he wasn't telling the truth for at least some of the time.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #29
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah that is pretty sick. Still talking about losing her to cancer after he already knew she was not real.

The timeline and the fact that he says he actually met her pretty much says it all. He was involved.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #30
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

ESPN is reporting that an anonymous teammate of Te'o said they knew she wasn't his girlfriend and that Manti was playing it for the media attention. Anything from an anonymous source needs to be taken with a grain of salt but...

Quote:
While not saying that Manti Te'o participated in or knew about the hoax that his girlfriend did not exist, a former teammate told ESPN's Bob Holtzman on Wednesday that players knew the woman wasn't really his girlfriend even though Te'o played that up as his tragic story was being told.

In September, the grandmother of Te'o died, and it was widely reported that his girlfriend died hours later. Media outlets pounced on the story as Notre Dame began its march to the title game. After Deadspin.com broke the hoax story, however, multiple media reports have said players thought that Te'o had only met Lennay Kekua once and that it wasn't really accurate to call her his girlfriend. But as condolences poured in, Te'o "played along," according to the teammate, who wished to remain anonymous.

The teammate portrayed the move as part of the All-American's personality, telling ESPN that Te'o liked attention so much that he would sometimes point himself out to friends when he was on television.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: