Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #6616
Clebner
Lurkin Slacker

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod.whayt View Post
omfg cold starting bitch .. yes i know its 34* out but really that many kicks and that long .....uuuggghhhhhhh wtf .. perhaps it needs a re-jet
I was having some trouble starting my bike when its cold too. I put a heat gun (glorified hair dryer) on the carb boot/ head for five minutes and it started first kick.
Clebner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:14 AM   #6617
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Yank View Post
Thank God for that!

Now, part numbers?????
I want to do my XR clutch too.
Last time out it was slipping, ether the synthetic oil or the clutch has to change, I thinking maybe both.
Only want to do it once though.
Mike, you have to use an oil that has NO friction modifiers in it. I used to use Shell Super SF back in the day when the bikes were new......
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #6618
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Hey guys,

I'm finishing up my little XR project and after a couple rides my thoughts are turning to springs. A buddy of mine give me 2 "big boy" springs from his XR6R. One is an Eibach straight rate and the other a Progressive 1187 600/700.

Is anyone running the Progressive springs here? Like them? If so, is the sag setting the same? Here's a little pic of her:

husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #6619
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Well there goes that idea for a cheap spring. The shock/spring my buddy gave me was from his '89 XR600R and mine is a '99. I guess Honda made the switch to a bigger bodied shock at some point? Either that or is it possible this one (on the right) is from a 650L? Eye to eye length is the same on both it's just the newer one (right) has a shorter/wider spring. Thanks for any help fella's. Just want to make sure I order the right spring.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #6620
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,412
I think Honda switched to the XR650l shock for the XR600 in the mid 90's. Don't know which year.

I just thought of a way to find when Honda changed to the larger body. Go to cheapcycleparts and start checking the shock body part #. When you come to a year that has a new # then you have found the change.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project

mcma111 screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 03:27 PM
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #6621
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Drive Sprocket Install?

Hi everyone,

So I pulled the front sprocket off my 89 XR600 to check the sprocket type, number of teeth and see if there is any wear on the splines of the countershaft.

Turns out it's a 14 tooth JT sprocket. I know about the hardened sprockets destroying the splines by the counter shaft actually looked very good, almost no noticeable wear. Anyway, I went to re-install it and for the life of me I couldn't remember which way to install it: flat side out, or lumpy and written side out?

Jumped on the net but seems there are lots of different answers, which made me quite confused. Note that this is an 89, so has the 6 thick splines if that changes anything? As it was, the flat side was out but I thought that wouldn't the lumpy written side be out normally so you can read the info (number of teeth, brand, etc)?

Thanks,
John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #6622
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
i install mine with the lumpy written side out i asume thats the norm.
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:01 AM   #6623
Dual Sport Armory
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky123 View Post
Well there goes that idea for a cheap spring. The shock/spring my buddy gave me was from his '89 XR600R and mine is a '99. I guess Honda made the switch to a bigger bodied shock at some point? Either that or is it possible this one (on the right) is from a 650L? Eye to eye length is the same on both it's just the newer one (right) has a shorter/wider spring. Thanks for any help fella's. Just want to make sure I order the right spring.

When you get tired of messing with that- bring it out to us
Dual Sport Armory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #6624
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
Hi everyone,

So I pulled the front sprocket off my 89 XR600 to check the sprocket type, number of teeth and see if there is any wear on the splines of the countershaft.

Turns out it's a 14 tooth JT sprocket. I know about the hardened sprockets destroying the splines by the counter shaft actually looked very good, almost no noticeable wear. Anyway, I went to re-install it and for the life of me I couldn't remember which way to install it: flat side out, or lumpy and written side out?

Jumped on the net but seems there are lots of different answers, which made me quite confused. Note that this is an 89, so has the 6 thick splines if that changes anything? As it was, the flat side was out but I thought that wouldn't the lumpy written side be out normally so you can read the info (number of teeth, brand, etc)?

Thanks,
John
I've been rebuilding my XR, and had the same question, mounted it both ways and for me the sprocket sat best with the lumpy side OUT it aligned good with the nylon chainslider and with my fierce eye of precision It did too with the rear sprocket..
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #6625
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOYBOY View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Edelbrock carb on the xr600?

Never mind. I used the search option lol.....
I have one on my XRL.....
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #6626
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
I think Honda switched to the XR650l shock for the XR600 in the mid 90's. Don't know which year.

I just thought of a way to find when Honda changed to the larger body. Go to cheapcycleparts and start checking the shock body part #. When you come to a year that has a new # then you have found the change.
the bottom mounting bracket is different also from the XRL to XR. Don't remember which now, but I think the right shock in that pic is from the "new" xr600r. The one on the left is from the dual carb???
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:30 AM   #6627
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Allright, as I have posted before, I've bought a TM40. What's the jetting I should start with considering
a have a 100mm piston . Riding from 0 to 2000m from sea
Old 01-20-2013, 03:42 AM   #6628
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
I've been rebuilding my XR, and had the same question, mounted it both ways and for me the sprocket sat best with the lumpy side OUT it aligned good with the nylon chain slider and with my fierce eye of precision It did too with the rear sprocket..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310 View Post
i install mine with the lumpy written side out I assume that's the norm.
Thanks, I took your suggestions and did it that way, although it means that there is a gap between the locking mechanism and the sprocket (where the bolts go through). Doesn't seem like it would come off or anything (thanks Loctite) but does seem odd. Also, I noticed there was some forward and back play on the sprocket, as in I could move it about 2mm in and out on the counter shaft. Didn't really worry me but I thought I'd check this up, just in case.

Now, I wanted to properly look at my front pads so took them out and they are pretty worn, probably will replace them while I'm here. But more importantly, I had a look at the brake pistons, and the tops seem really chipped and cracked. Plus they seem to have an asbestos-type material in the centre of them)?

Could anyone tell me if a) these are still good or stuffed and b) why they don't look like other photos I've seen of XR6 brake pistons?

Cheers,

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #6629
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Sport Armory View Post
When you get tired of messing with that- bring it out to us
Forks coming soon.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #6630
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
Thanks, I took your suggestions and did it that way, although it means that there is a gap between the locking mechanism and the sprocket (where the bolts go through). Doesn't seem like it would come off or anything (thanks Loctite) but does seem odd. Also, I noticed there was some forward and back play on the sprocket, as in I could move it about 2mm in and out on the counter shaft. Didn't really worry me but I thought I'd check this up, just in case.

Now, I wanted to properly look at my front pads so took them out and they are pretty worn, probably will replace them while I'm here. But more importantly, I had a look at the brake pistons, and the tops seem really chipped and cracked. Plus they seem to have an asbestos-type material in the centre of them)?

Could anyone tell me if a) these are still good or stuffed and b) why they don't look like other photos I've seen of XR6 brake pistons?

Cheers,

John
john thats nothing! Ill show your crumbled piston tops that work great!

the pistons are hollow made of a special plastic, they have metal caps that are removable...thats the part that contacts the brake pads...you can take them off, clean them so they are nice and flat and then glue them back on which is what I did....

to clean the pistons you can buff them with some polishing compound, but I would NOT do that unless you want to replace the seals inside the caliper.

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote