Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #91
bleedgrn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstt500 View Post
I try to make it to bike night at least once a month during the season so I'll look for you there, I usually ride the wee there and once in a while my old KLR.
It'll be kind of tough for you getting a new bike this time of year and not being able to ride much till Spring, I generally spend my winters spending money on maintenance and farkling and dreaming about the rest of the year just riding. Last winter though I made it a point to ride every month and because of our wierd weather I did it without getting any salt on the bike.
I don't know if you have checked out the stromtroopers site yet, theres a lot of good info there. Sounds like the stock crash bars add some vibration to the bike, don't know about the aftermarket brands. Thats one thing I haven't bought yet but will do more research when the time comes.
Just did a 16 hour turn and burn down to Illinois to Nielson Enterprises. Huge selection. Two DL650 in stock with one on the showroom floor. They sold me the one they just un-crated. So my wee's birthday was yesterday. A friend of mine went with me since I just worked a 12 hour night shift and took off for the border. Long story short, papers signed, bike loaded within half hour. This white on black is very flattering although it looks more like a sport bike with long legs. Very happy with it. Took it for a short ride around the parking lot since it was 20 F. Now tucked in the garage. Rolled out of bed to fresh blanket of snow so no ride in the near future.
Thanks for the advise of Stromtroopers. I have lurked in their site but did not become a member yet. I have been searching through this site to get a less biased opinion of the wee. BTW I park right above the bike night hangout, so when I leave work on Wednesdays I have to admire all the two wheel eye candy. Will be fun to participate. Here is a couple first pics of my bike. The one I'm seating on is still in the showroom. Trying to figure out how to upload images from my computer or phone. Will need to read first. Images will follow.
bleedgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #92
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
I put Michelin Pilot Road 3's on my new -12 last year. Did a test ride on a -12 demo bike before, enough to know the Bstones hadn't changed anywhere. Couldn't be happier, for tarmac the difference is night and day, and I can still do a bit of unpaved roads just fine.

Did I mention I dislike its OEM tyres
In reading your comments as to tires being "light years " ahead these days,are you talking about carcass construction,sidewall rubber or tread rubber compounding or tread designs? Don't take this the wrong way at all, but my having worked in tire factory a long time ago vs. now I see lots of hype & not really large changes. I read bike mag article r.e., tires & it's always superficial info. I'd like to see something besides artistic cross-sections of tires in ads, such as real information. The bike mag articles on tires are simply enlarged advertisements.Tire companies have been "playing with" tread rubber compounds for many years & while that may equal improvement I honestly wonder if it is a "like years"/quantum leap? The beads and general basic components,construction seem to be the same as my 1960's & 70's industry experience.
As a long time rider, former SCCA racer,former wrench,etc., I do understand well that some tires are better than others & improved in certain ways. I keep hoping a true tire expert will appear here or my other haunts. I will say that the 2012 Wee OEM tires have a tread that cannot possibly be near optimum for pavement riding, what with the blocky pattern. I test road the bike this summer and while I didn't push it hard it was a fun ride compared to my BMW R1150R bike. Lighter more tossable but a bit less refined in terms of long distance roadability/comfiness at speed. Don't feel reproached , it's just a tire conversation...
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #93
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
In reading your comments as to tires being "light years " ahead these days,are you talking about carcass construction,sidewall rubber or tread rubber compounding or tread designs?
Short answer is yes.

Tires are still round and black, but there have been many advances in tread, in the rubber compounds, carcas construction etc. At least there definately have been in the car world.

One little example: I sell Porsche's for a living. Ten years ago if you took one out on a dry day below the 40's with stock (summer) tires you would find the Z-rated tires have almost no traction at all on dry pavement and would never get traction. Now the same tires have way more traction below freezing. I am not talking about all season tires, but Z-rated performance tires. (I am a strong believer in winter tires on cars so don't for a moment think I am suggesting you drive these tires in cold weather.) It is amazing to feel the difference.

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #94
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,419
On trailbikes, tyre evolution is not as rapid as on sportbikes. But they still go forward. And a decade is a long time to be on the same tyre. And the Bstones that the Wee's always had, weren't top class even back in the day.

I rode on a 2007 Wee from Greece to Australia on 2 sets of Michelin Anakee 1:s, 15000kms on first set, almost 17000 on second. Two-up, and luggage for six-month trip, we even carried that spare set, and kept carrying the used set after switching in Thailand. The whole trip was mostly very high temperatures, that should accelerate wear. OEM tyres, I would've needed at least 3 or maybe 4 sets On top of that, I liked those tyres handling on dry or wet asphalt, or gravel surface. In my book for example this tyre (or Anakee 2) is better than original for the Wee, plain and simple.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 12:22 PM
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #95
reubenRN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
skip it

I would skip the vstrom, besides the engine (what a great engine, on both flavors) the vstrom don't have much going for them...I had a 1k for 15k miles, no issues, but there are better options out there, at a somewhat higher initial price, but come on, you only live once!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #96
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenRN View Post
I would skip the vstrom, besides the engine (what a great engine, on both flavors) the vstrom don't have much going for them...
Farkles required!
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #97
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I would skip the vstrom, besides the engine (what a great engine, on both flavors) the vstrom don't have much going for them...I had a 1k for 15k miles, no issues, but there are better options out there, at a somewhat higher initial price, but come on, you only live once!
You try the 12-> Wee? Most people seem to agree it's got something going for it. Not everyone of course, but I'd say at the very least it deserves a test ride, if you're in the market for this type of bike.

The 1k has a few small issues, that the 650 never had, much less the updated model.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #98
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
I looked at the new wee-Strom 650 last year in my search for the "perfect" adventure bike. (I have since concluded that there is no perfect bike)

If you are a more "value" oriented person, this bike may be a good choice! I ultimately wanted something with a little more "character", so I chose to pay a couple thousand more for a different bike.

If you keep bikes a long time like I typically do, my advice would be to not buy any bike that doesn't "speak to you"
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #99
kels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
The problem with this forum is.....
You make me want to right out and buy one
Next time we make it to the big town,
I am going to check one out.
kels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #100
Metalcarver
Geezer Berserker

Oddometer: 312
Wee on road:

Still on the road:

Road cruising:

REAL off road:

Easy on a real off road bike:

(Stolen without permission from here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29723 )

The bike that fits and makes you grin is the right bike... It's the loose nut between the grips that makes the difference.

The Meandering Geezer in Idaho Escape from Idaho metalcarver.com Panoramio
Metalcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #101
bleedgrn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
ReubenRN,
After doing extensive reading, there is no one bike that fits every desire/need etc. However, I think the K12 wee/glee is the best bang for the buck. Would I prefer to have a Tiger 800XC, of course if someone sold it to me for what I paid for my Glee. By the time you spend $13K for a Tiger then $3K in accessories, many have exceeded their budget. Now if price is not limiting then of course the Tiger. I personally have many expensive interest and have to be mindful of how much is this interest going to be apart of my everyday life. Also, will I need to give up in some way a different interest, not to mention taking up all the family resources for something that is essentially for my enjoyment. BTW, I noticed you put RN at the end of your sign on. I am an RN myself and have limits to what my income allows. Given a budget, I think the Glee or even a KLR 650, are two great values.
bleedgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #102
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post
If you are a more "value" oriented person, this bike may be a good choice! I ultimately wanted something with a little more "character", so I chose to pay a couple thousand more for a different bike.
If you keep bikes a long time like I typically do, my advice would be to not buy any bike that doesn't "speak to you"
I agree a lot with this, and I am in a bit of a quandary myself. I like the new V-Strom 650 very much. It seems to have enough power, is more comfortable than most others in its class (particularly for 2-up riding) with the most wind/weather prtection, has a huge aftermarket, proven reliability, and can be had for around $7,500 ($9,000 for the Adventure model). The problem, for me, is that I kind of fell in love with a KTM 990 SM-T that we sat on the showroom floor. It costs more (around $13k+), has less weather protection, and probably just a smidge less comfort,....but is has that motor. It has that light weight chassis. It can snap up 3rd gear wheelies, without feeling like it has to be beaten into submission.
The practical side of me says "Buy the V-Strom 650. It is plenty for what you want to do. If you get sick of it 3 years from now, you won't take such a financial beating. You're probably not going to be snapping up 3rd gear wheelies much anyway...that is what your dirt bike is for...", but my heart says "Just look at that KTM! It's only a few grand more. Once you spend it, you'll never even think of it again, and you know it. If you buy the V, you will regret not buying the KTM!"
A bigger windscreen for the SM-T? Nope. Seat options? Maybe if I send it away for a few weeks/months for a custom job. What about the gauges filling with rain water? or the fuel tank swelling up so that the cap doesn't fit anymore? or the tea bag fuel filter that can clog at the weirdest times?
The V-Strom has none of these issues, but it won't snap up a wheelie in 1st, either, never mind 3rd! I find myself leaning more and more towards the 650 every day. I guess I am willing to give up huge, crossed up wheelies on the street.*Sigh*
I just have to bite the bullet, and pull the trigger. Soon.
Edit: Complicating the matter even worse, is the fact that my dealership just offered me a new V-Strom 1000 Adventure for $9250. What to do...indeed.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #103
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Gplassm,
If you can, I strongly suggest you go ride a Triumph Tiger 800. You can get the "road" version for like $11,000. Wonderful power (compared to the DL650), good mileage and reliable. And smack in the middle, price wise!
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #104
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

I think the whole "what bike should I buy?"-thing on the internet is just BS. For the simple reason, that people appreciate & value very different things. What works for you, may not work for him or her. And so on. Ok, if your a beginner, then sure it may feel like a nice idea to get feedback from others. But it still may not be fully useable FOR YOU, and some comments can also be very misleading. Decide a budget, find what's available, ride 'em all, then buy and disregard what someone else thinks of it. There's always the chance you find out that it wasnt the right choice for you, no matter what you spent, and how good the reviews were. That's not the end of the world.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 AM   #105
reubenRN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgrn View Post
ReubenRN,
After doing extensive reading, there is no one bike that fits every desire/need etc. However, I think the K12 wee/glee is the best bang for the buck. Would I prefer to have a Tiger 800XC, of course if someone sold it to me for what I paid for my Glee. By the time you spend $13K for a Tiger then $3K in accessories, many have exceeded their budget. Now if price is not limiting then of course the Tiger. I personally have many expensive interest and have to be mindful of how much is this interest going to be apart of my everyday life. Also, will I need to give up in some way a different interest, not to mention taking up all the family resources for something that is essentially for my enjoyment. BTW, I noticed you put RN at the end of your sign on. I am an RN myself and have limits to what my income allows. Given a budget, I think the Glee or even a KLR 650, are two great values.
I hear ya, and I don't bathe in money myself, but some features like ABS, traction control, better suspension and such, provide an extra layer of protection. Can these safety features save you a couple days of hospital stay? Of course, better judgement can do all that at a lot less $$

Being an RN we realize how fragile life is and random stuff happens to random ppl everyday, I would skip the "best bang for the buck" and go directly to higher performance stuff.

What I did was getting the Vstrom, kept it for couple of years then upgraded. Not worth the $$ from a financial POV, but definitely much better performance.

Ride safe, ride often and stay on the good side of that stethoscope!