User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #1576
erikh58
n00b

Oddometer: 4
3 weeks later, finally at page 106.
It read like a book and DVD in one. It took all my spare time but I enjoyed every minute off it.

All that can be said about this RR has already been said...

I recommended it to a lot of people already, and not just for the motorcycling bit...

I donated and wish you a safe journey. And I'll wait for the real book and DVD to read and watch it all over again.

thanks,

Erik

erikh58 screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 11:22 AM
erikh58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #1577
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,527
January 18, 2013

I made it to the Skeleton Coast in Namibia after a wonderful few days of living through desertscapes; riding wide open spaces, enjoying majestic sunsets and bright starry skies Out here, the nightly progression of the phase of the moon becomes my time keeper as the days of the week fade in meaning. As I move further away from the equator, I can see more of Crux, the Southern Cross, as it rises above the horizon. I spend the days taking in the desert sights: bushmen rock engravings, cave paintings and petrified forests, along with roadside stops for giraffes, zebras and springbok. It's cold on the coast as the Benguela current keeps the Namib a desolate desert. Camping next to a Cape Fur Seal colony...

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #1578
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

January 21, 2013

A Cape Fur Seal getting a face full of surf as he tries to enter the sea and go fishing.
This is at Cape Cross, along the Skeleton Coast in Namibia, where these seals come ashore to mate and have their young. My timing was good as the pups have just been born and they're weening off their mothers. It's a noisy place, with moms and pups calling out to each other, sounding like goats braying. It's also a smelly place, rich in guano, which was mined in the early days of Namibia's colonization. Nowadays, Cape Cross is a place to see large numbers of sea mammals thriving in their element.

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 01-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #1579
mathewsturtevant
Motojournalist

Oddometer: 227
gear question

Hey Jay,
thanks again for keeping us all inspired by following your dream. Whenever I go to ADV rider I'm always excited to read your posts. I was geeing out over your gear list and couldn't see what tire gauge you use. I really trust your opinion and want to buy a good one. I am so sick of the ones that give inconsistent readings. So which one do you use?
mathewsturtevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 AM   #1580
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Damn Jay, Ive heard of DRs getting some subframe cracks, but your cracks are intense!
Go hard or stay home right? At least when your trip is over, you can know you didnt hold back!
You said it. Gotta keep riding with this bike till the end of the journey. No crack can hold me back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguy View Post
I finally got a chance to catch up with your travels...great job making it through all the little setbacks! You have a huge amount of patience and amazing experiences to show for it. Thanks again for sharing them with us!
Thanks, yup, lots of patience needed for solving these kind of issues, definitely a skill for life
Quote:
Originally Posted by salcar View Post
Hi Jammin,
I finally arrived in Cape Town today and I got the bike out of customs. I'm not sure on our plans yet but hopefully we get to cross paths.
All the best,
Salvador
I Sal, I sent you a message, you must be on the road by now. I'm in Windhoek now, heading south to Sesriem then Fish River Canyon and then cutting across to Joburg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Yikes!!!
Glad you had that taken care of, middle finger too...the most valued finger of all inmates.
Haha, yeah, I gave it the ADV salute before rushing to the hospital
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXIV-Dragon View Post
Not too sure this could be stated any better!
I would only like to add that your photos are breathtaking! Without out any doubt the best subscribed thread on my list! TYS!
Thanks, buddy! Glad you're enjoying it.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:35 AM   #1581
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikh58 View Post
3 weeks later, finally at page 106.
It read like a book and DVD in one. It took all my spare time but I enjoyed every minute off it.
All that can be said about this RR has already been said...
I recommended it to a lot of people already, and not just for the motorcycling bit...
I donated and wish you a safe journey. And I'll wait for the real book and DVD to read and watch it all over again.
thanks,
Erik
Hi Erik, thanks a lot for the donation Much appreciated as I'm entering more expensive countries where camping costs $20 in some places. Glad you're enjoying the story. Once I get to India, will get to work on writing the book

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewsturtevant View Post
Hey Jay,
thanks again for keeping us all inspired by following your dream. Whenever I go to ADV rider I'm always excited to read your posts. I was geeing out over your gear list and couldn't see what tire gauge you use. I really trust your opinion and want to buy a good one. I am so sick of the ones that give inconsistent readings. So which one do you use?
Hey Matt, I'm using the EZ Tire Guage. It's a bit bulky but very accurate readings and I love the release feature allowing me to set the pressure exactly how I want it. The rubberized case keeps it protected. Cheers

Old 01-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #1582
naveenroy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post

After spending the first two decades of my life growing up in Africa and being schooled in India, I spent the last decade in the US specializing in university and subsequently working in corporate product design engineering. It's been a blast and I've been very thankful for the life I've had so far, making a plentitude of meaningful connections and having had numerous lifetime experiences. However, curiosity, that great driving primal force of all life, responsible for where I am today, has been exposed to the grand scheme of things and is gnawing inside of me to grab at the opportunity that lies within my potential to gain a far deeper understanding of life on this planet.
Just started on your report and was pleasantly surprised to see you studied in Kodai! I did too - though at Kodaikanal Public School. We envied the "hot chicks" at KIS when we used to visit for cultural activities or football matches!
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #1583
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

January 22, 2013

Camping at Spitzkoppe, a prominent granite massif rising from the flat desert plains of Namibia. The light at sunset and sunrise against the big rocks was magnificent. I felt privileged to spend a night on these grounds where humans have walked for eons. Bushmen paintings around the site indicate that this was a spiritual place for our ancestors who once roamed these plains. In the 21st century, I come here on a motorcycle. How might our descendents come here in the centuries to come?

Old 01-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #1584
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Just started on your report and was pleasantly surprised to see you studied in Kodai! I did too - though at Kodaikanal Public School. We envied the "hot chicks" at KIS when we used to visit for cultural activities or football matches!
Hey man, haha, oh yeah, we did have the nicest looking girls around I used to live in Swedish House when I first joined and that's near KPS, right?

I've been resting up in Windhoek at a family friend's house, washed everything, filled with so much dirt and have been planning my route around South Africa. My sponsored tires from Heidenau are waiting for me in SA but my rear tire has given up on me. I've been riding on a Kenda K271 from Nairobi and that tire's seen me through quite some good riding and there's a bit of tread left but bubbles are forming in the canvas, which means the ply is separating. No good. I have some more off road riding left in Namibia, so time to swap tires. Seems like 18" tires are easy to find but 17" are rare. I've found a 17" Golden tire (from Italy) at the local Yamaha dealership and it's going on tomorrow. Been brushing up on my tire changing notes from Neduro and all set I've been running on a Golden front tire from northern Namibia and that tire's more like a 80/20 moto-cross tire but it's going to see some pavement until I get into SA and pick up the Heidenaus. I couldn't get the timing down to have the Heidenaus shipped to Windhoek, oh well.

In other bike news: I've lined up a free shock rebuild for sanDRina once I get to Cape Town. Friendly guys on WildDog.za.net have reached out and offered to sponsor me the rebuild. Sweet! Many of them have come forward and invited me to stay as I loop around SA. I've already met so many friendly Namibians and South Africans

And here's how my route looks now. I'm working on shipping options from Cape Town to India. Trying to find a ship that'll let me go as a passenger

Click on it to go to the interactive version.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #1585
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

January 28, 2013

Some sunrise yoga in the desert country of southern Namibia. After a few days rest in Windhoek, am back riding through desert lands. Colorful mountains with flowing terrain through wide valleys make up for the oppressive heat, strong crosswinds and sandy corrugations. Camped at a little town called Solitaire, which comprised of a petrol station, a lodge with camping and a bakery. These cements benches, out in a field of brush, made for an ideal spot to enjoy the sunset and sunrise... in solitude.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #1586
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
January 28, 2013

Some sunrise yoga in the desert country of southern Namibia. After a few days rest in Windhoek, am back riding through desert lands. Colorful mountains with flowing terrain through wide valleys make up for the oppressive heat, strong crosswinds and sandy corrugations. Camped at a little town called Solitaire, which comprised of a petrol station, a lodge with camping and a bakery. These cements benches, out in a field of brush, made for an ideal spot to enjoy the sunset and sunrise... in solitude.

Seems like a really relaxing environment to be in. Good on ya
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:00 AM   #1587
naveenroy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Hey man, haha, oh yeah, we did have the nicest looking girls around I used to live in Swedish House when I first joined and that's near KPS, right?

Not sure about Swedish house. KPS is near Zion school and past Moonjikkal junction. Not sure if you would remember all that

I've donated a small amount towards your trip. Have a beer on me!!
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #1588
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

January 29, 2013

The shifting dunes at Sossusvlei. These giant orange dunes cover an area the size of Belgium and are said to be millions of years old. Being there and experiencing this immense scale of nature at its rawest, humbles me and gives credence to the idea that humans are insignificant on the grand scale of things. But instead of belittling me, it generates great respect for the forces that shape our world

As I cruise through the arid landscapes of the Namib, my Desert Playlist plugs me in. Some of the music on there:
Demure by The Koniac Net
A Horse with No Name by America
Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits
Dreams by Fleetwood Mac
Scar Tissue by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap
Ixtapa by Rodrigo y Gabriela
U2's Joshua Tree album
Bossa Nova from Stan Getz and Luiz Bonfa
and others...

Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #1589
X Banana Boy
stuck in the office

Oddometer: 1,881
Very cool Jammin. I was at Sossusvlei in 1988. They were impressive then, as they are now.
X Banana Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #1590
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

January 31, 2013

Soaking in the hot springs pool at Ai-Ais, the perfect remedy for aching muscles after desert riding.

From Sesriem, I rode around the southern edge of the Namib Desert, taking in the vast views. I swung by Fish River Canyon to gawk at the huge gash in the earth caused by a little river. It's second in size to the Grand Canyon. And then south to the hot springs at Ai-Ais, a wonderful end to my journey through Namibia.