Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #15481
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Tim, where did you find this pocket bike version of the Super Ten?
What a good replica!!

I may have posted this before, but you should see me on my little (250cc) bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydream View Post
You are a very courageous man jaumev.
Guernsey is not to far from you.... and Tim may want to visit Barcelona
It's interesting that you should say that as plans are already being made with Jaumev
Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #15482
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I may have posted this before, but you should see me on my little (250cc) bike!

It's interesting that you should say that as plans are already being made with Jaumev
COOL bike!

...that we don't get to have....
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #15483
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydream View Post
You are a very courageous man jaumev.
Guernsey is not to far from you.... and Tim may want to visit Barcelona
Glubs... you’re right!!

Well… because I’m quite small I search for big riders... if I need some help...
This is Albert my mate; he’s about 2 metres tall. He rides a KTM 950 Super Enduro like a 450 (I’m jealous).

As Tim said we’re planning something…. Hope it works.
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #15484
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer: 372
Gosh dang, thats a big boy.. Really cool Yamaha & Jaume killing it on the rocks !
Old 01-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #15485
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,950
So, two weeks ago I get a phone call from a dude at the local Yamaha shop saying that they have another S10 on the floor and that he dared me to come out and look at it. It had snowed two days before but the temp was up to forty nine or so, and so on went the suit and off I went.

I get to the shop (BMW 1150 GSA) and the sales guy (really great guy, into all types of bikes, not a snob) laughs and shakes his head.

I walk up to the charcoal grey (not sure of the real name of the color, not quite silver, not quite black, didn't look too bad) and begin looking it over. Looks small. Not really small, but sport-bike small, short? Make sense?

I ask if I can throw a leg over it, and get the "Of course".. Seat was on the lowest position and that felt a bit odd, but obviously can be fixed. It was when I went to sit it up off of the side stand that everything very nearly went pear-shaped. I almost threw the bloody thing onto its side. THIS WAS NOT INTENDED!!!!

Sales dude saves it, then informs me that there was no battery, oil, or gas. That bloody thing was a tad bit lighter then I anticipated. Considering I had over six gallons in the BMW and I am used to hefting that thing up, the S10 was a bit of a surprise.

Needless to say I wasn't able to take it out. One, no fluids or battery, two, they didn't like the road conditions and didn't want to spend a day cleaning it off. I understood completely.

I was able to put it up on the center-stand (obviously very easy with all the missing fluids and battery) and sit on it. We put the seat to its' highest setting, and no. It didn't work for me. BUT, I am willing to chalk this up to familiarity and so will withhold final judgement.

I was told that by March they will allow me to take it out, if it is still available.

I am going to try and go in with an open mind. But in all honesty this thing does have a monster of a job in convincing me to ditch the 1150.

You guys do ride a pretty slick looking machine though. Like I said, it seems to be very compact front to rear and this could be an illusion. Narrow, yup, especially compared to the boxer, but I don't mind the width. Seat, not able to judge, I only sat on the thing in the shop. Wind screen, ditto, though it seemed a bit short. Controls, that will take a bit of getting used to, but I suspect it would only be a few hundred miles till I figured out where what is and be able to remember.

Yup, this will be interesting.........

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #15486
Flydream
King of the Atlantic

Oddometer: 361
[QUOTE=jaumev;20510533]Glubs... you’re right!!

Well… because I’m quite small I search for big riders...

no comments on this pluric ???
seems that the black is getting jaumev if you know what i mean
Flydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #15487
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
I walk up to the charcoal grey (not sure of the real name of the color, not quite silver, not quite black, didn't look too bad) and begin looking it over. Looks small. Not really small, but sport-bike small, short? Make sense?

I ask if I can throw a leg over it, and get the "Of course".. Seat was on the lowest position and that felt a bit odd, but obviously can be fixed. It was when I went to sit it up off of the side stand that everything very nearly went pear-shaped. I almost threw the bloody thing onto its side. THIS WAS NOT INTENDED!!!!

Sales dude saves it, then informs me that there was no battery, oil, or gas. That bloody thing was a tad bit lighter then I anticipated. Considering I had over six gallons in the BMW and I am used to hefting that thing up, the S10 was a bit of a surprise.

Needless to say I wasn't able to take it out. One, no fluids or battery, two, they didn't like the road conditions and didn't want to spend a day cleaning it off. I understood completely.

I was able to put it up on the center-stand (obviously very easy with all the missing fluids and battery) and sit on it. We put the seat to its' highest setting, and no. It didn't work for me. BUT, I am willing to chalk this up to familiarity and so will withhold final judgement.

I was told that by March they will allow me to take it out, if it is still available.

I am going to try and go in with an open mind. But in all honesty this thing does have a monster of a job in convincing me to ditch the 1150.

You guys do ride a pretty slick looking machine though. Like I said, it seems to be very compact front to rear and this could be an illusion. Narrow, yup, especially compared to the boxer, but I don't mind the width. Seat, not able to judge, I only sat on the thing in the shop. Wind screen, ditto, though it seemed a bit short. Controls, that will take a bit of getting used to, but I suspect it would only be a few hundred miles till I figured out where what is and be able to remember.

Yup, this will be interesting.........
That color would be matte gray, love it myself. Even fully fueled the S10 feels very light lifting it off its center stand and wheeling it about. Much lighter than my friend's GSA. Lots of seat choices if the stock one doesn't cut it for you and handlebar risers are a fairly common mod as well. Tobinators and the like make it easy to adjust the windscreen, but tall folks like to change it for a bigger one. Good luck with the test ride.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #15488
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post

The bikes are shipped with the batteries in them, just not connected. I'd expect the oil to be in too, but don't know for sure. Seem to recall motors are run in during assembly. At least enough to check for leaks, etc. So the bike may only have been missing fuel, despite what the sales guy said.

The Super Ten wears it's weight well, and rides like a lighter bike than the GS, or at least I thought so. Engine on the GS is smoother, but compared to new, the S10 will smooth our more after break in too.

The bike goes up on the center stand very easily w/o bags. If you've been on those Germanic models for some time, you'll be surprised what has changed in the world. It's really cool now, they have water cooling! Not just water run thru some of the oil lines.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #15489
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
The bikes are shipped with the batteries in them, just not connected. I'd expect the oil to be in too, but don't know for sure. Seem to recall motors are run in during assembly. At least enough to check for leaks, etc. So the bike may only have been missing fuel, despite what the sales guy said.

The Super Ten wears it's weight well, and rides like a lighter bike than the GS, or at least I thought so. Engine on the GS is smoother, but compared to new, the S10 will smooth our more after break in too.

The bike goes up on the center stand very easily w/o bags. If you've been on those Germanic models for some time, you'll be surprised what has changed in the world. It's really cool now, they have water cooling! Not just water run thru some of the oil lines.
HA!

I only had the sales guy to go on. I'll take your word on the battery.

Hoiking the GS up on the center stand is a bit of a pull, but I've grown accustomed to it.

I'm not really in the market, just wanted to try it out, you know? I can't see me getting rid of the GS, 79,000 without a hitch, just routine maintenance? C'mon, what's not to love?

Actually, I bought it used, the PO did the clutch and the splines, so I've gotten it in possibly better shape then had I bought it new. But it has been a great all arounder, and a blast to ride.

Like I said, I think the S10 is a great looking bike, and from all accounts a great riding one, but I'm happy with what I got. And the fact that mine is paid for, just can't see going in debt. I WILL ride this thing (or the next one they get in), but buy? I doubt.

Plus, SWMBO will have full veto power, and I am pretty sure what her say in the matter would be.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #15490
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Glad you're happy with the GS, and I sincerely hope it stays healthy for you and keeps going down the road.

The FJR when fully loaded in rally trim with a full fuel cell was sometimes a bit of a heft to get off the side stand. The Super Ten, in the same full rally trim with fuel cell is a bit more work than in day ride trim too. I think we get used to what we are riding and it's not that big a deal. When I ride BMWs it takes me to the end of the block to adjust to the non-standard turn signal, and usually a few more turns before I re-adjust to the cancel being on the right, with a separate switch.

Sort of like HDs, but with more moving parts.

Try the Super Ten when you get a chance. It might make the list when you are ready to move on.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #15491
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,006
I used to have an 1100GS. Great touring bike -- handled great no matter how much I loaded it up -- but I got tired of the clunky shifting on my commute, the frequent valve checks and wasn't looking forward to dealing with spline lubes or changing the clutch as the miles piled on so eventually I sold it. Later I got a TDM900. It didn't handle as well as the GS but I loved the 25,000 mile valve check intervals, the smooth shifting and the V-twin feel of the motor courtesy of the 270-degree crank. Sold it when I got an offer I couldn't pass up and figured I'd make room for a Super Tenere "just in case." Fast forward a few months and a dealer had a used one in stock for a decent price. Took a test ride and pulled the trigger. To me the Super Tenere combines the best points of the GS and the TDM. Great handling, awesome motor and low maintenance.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #15492
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 717
Video of my 2013 Tenere with a Leo Vince Titanium exhaust can installed, I run it with the supplied turn down pipe.

White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #15493
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,044
Spring s going to be here soon so I need to get my ass in gear.

What is the most popular pannier rack option for the S10?

I need racks in place before I start on my list of baubles and bolt-ons.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #15494
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty View Post
Spring s going to be here soon so I need to get my ass in gear.

What is the most popular pannier rack option for the S10?

I need racks in place before I start on my list of baubles and bolt-ons.
Most pannier racks are proprietary. That question doesn't really make much sense unless we know what you are wanting to do with them. At least the way I'm interpreting it. Or are you asking about options to bolt to pannier racks?

http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=Home or Wolfman offer pannier racks that people have used to roll their own, or in the case of Caribou, mount their Pelican cases on, which offers a wide array of sizes.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #15495
sleepyOwl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,246
I'm looking at getting an S10 and have been looking at this also. I suppose it depends where you will be spending your time and how strong you need the cases to be. Hepco and Becker Xplorers look good but probably not the best to take off road.

Everything is Amazing and No one is Happy

sleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote