User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
b1pig OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
fork fail....

if anyone has some insight, please share...

on my 2000 ZX7, i rebuilt the forks following the FSM. the only thing that didn't go as planned was that the rebound (on top of inv forks) damping screws will not go in more than 3 or 4 clicks from all the way out. if i run the spring preload in, that will take away from how much the screws will run in.

the manual was followed.. but it just aint right.

and the ride is stiff as hell.
but. at least they dont leak. :)
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
The fork cap threads on to the damper cartridge if like most forks. Usually, about 12mm of the damper rod is threaded into the top fork cap.....don't thread too much into the cap. Also, some upside down forks have a small diameter internal hollow tube that runs the length of the damper tube from the fork cap rebound adjuster to the bottom of the fork.
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
b1pig OP
Studly Adventurer

mine has the tube in it.

went in just like it came out. did one fork at a time and kept everything arranged as it came out. still. everything went together like it was "supposed" to. except that the "clickers" dont go in like they are supposed to.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:23 AM   #4
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
damping screws will not go in more than 3 or 4 clicks from all the way out. if i run the spring preload in, that will take away from how much the screws will run in.
Your going to have to pull them back apart and hope that riding on them didn't do further damage.

Check carefully with the exploded diagram in your manual, as something is wrong. Sounds like a washer or spacer of some sort is missing or in the wrong order, making the precise distance from the adjuster to the needle (other end of the small hollow tube) incorrect. Adjusting the spring preload should only adjust the length of the spring, but it sounds like your's in adjusting the internal length (effecting that hollow tube) as well.

It's generally good practice to back off all adjusters before disassembly.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperquiet View Post
The fork cap threads on to the damper cartridge if like most forks. Usually, about 12mm of the damper rod is threaded into the top fork cap.....don't thread too much into the cap. Also, some upside down forks have a small diameter internal hollow tube that runs the length of the damper tube from the fork cap rebound adjuster to the bottom of the fork.

yes. I found this out on my learning curve.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Remove the caps from the cartridge rod, screw the rebound adjusters all the way in, reinstall the caps.
MCCOYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
b1pig OP
Studly Adventurer

thanks, guys.

looks like i might have some time tuesday... might see if i can get the caps off and take a look.

as for damage.... i'm hoping nothing is. before i put them back on the bike, i cycled them. seemed to work ok. just stiff as a brick.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:24 AM   #8
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOYBOY View Post
Remove the caps from the cartridge rod, screw the rebound adjusters all the way in, reinstall the caps.
i don't know this fork, but i would do the opposite. make sure the rod is fully seated, all the way in - sometimes they appear fully down, but they're not..... . put the top clickers all the way out, then reinstall.

if you turn the rebound adjusters all the way in, they won't be able to screw into the rod when after you install the caps..... and you'll destroy the taper/threads on the adjusters...
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 AM   #9
b1pig OP
Studly Adventurer

the forks are inverted cartridge... kayaba.

well. i went back and looked at the shop manual. its been over a year, so i dont remember if i did this or not. the manual DOES say that the rebound adjuster is to be screwed in until it is 25mm from the bottom of the spring adjuster. that might be where i messed up. i dont remember measuring anything like this.

might be the problem.

when in doubt, read the damned manual...