Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #16
lcseds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
That's the MSRP of a '12 Burg 400 ABS. Not a bad price since it is OTD (taxes, prep, doc fee, etc included). I'm sure someone will come along and say they got their brand new one for $5800 or something OTD. But excluding these miracle deals, an OTD that is MSRP or less ain't bad.
lcseds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #17
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
There is a 2010 Burgman 400 for sale in Calgary, 10,000km, $4700, private seller. That's 6500 miles. And another 6500 miles to get to where you are... LOL! Still, watch the used market.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ443113219

Regards
Scott Fraser
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
sealsam OP
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_F View Post
There is a 2010 Burgman 400 for sale in Calgary, 10,000km, $4700, private seller. That's 6500 miles. And another 6500 miles to get to where you are... LOL! Still, watch the used market.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ443113219

Regards
Scott Fraser
No, No, No Scott. You Canadians measure wrong, it's only about 1600 "real" miles. Easy Peazy my friend. Mrs. Samthg & I have already been to Bigfork, MT twice this year to visit my mother-in-law. Once on the RT and once this fall in our jeep. This lady is the greatest! She lived not far from us in CA, then retired 6 years ago to Bigfork. Kinda of a double edge sword. I kinda happily take Mrs. Samthg to see her mom, and I go hang out in Glacier NP. Not a bad gig, eh?

Now I need to cross that border this summer and get into your neck of the woods. Would like to experience Banff & Jasper and whatever you may suggest. I guess I'll have to start a new thread for 'Canadian suggestions'.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
PSummer 2011 my husband and I rode from Breckenridge, Colorado to Fallbrook, California. He on our Sports City 250 and me on my BV 500. The Sports City held 85 mph on I-15 for 150 miles in 112f heat with a couple of stops so WE could cool off and down some water. Before that trip the Sports City spent 2 years running up and down the Rockies from Denver to Breckenridge. Yes, it did slow down on a few of the grades but it held speeds equal to that the 4 cyl cars on the same roads.

Max speed he rode was 88mph by gps. Max speed on my Vespa GTS 250 is 82-84 by gps which has been ridden on I-10 in Texas though I prefer secondary roads to freeways even on the 500 which will cruise all day long at 85, even 95 mph (though gas mileage sucks at those speeds) which is the speeds I crossed most of Nevada on the way back from California after leaving the Sports City with my son.

Reputable 250s are quite capable of 200 mile freeway trips unlike some of the low end Chinese ones. We've got some folks who ride no name Chinese "300cc" scoots that can't keep up with our Buddy 125. my husband's ridden it on the freeway at 65mph but I think its too light for freeway traffic. A friend has told me that he cruised all around So. California from Costa Mesa to San Diego to Big Bear 2 up on a BV 350 and never felt like he was low on power. Knowing Chris I'm sure he spent time on the freeways especially since he said he cruised 2 up at 75 for a couple of hours.

Photos from that trip are on my blog starting at http://cheryldwise.com/?p=164

cdwise screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 10:21 PM Reason: added link
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #20
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
No, No, No Scott. You Canadians measure wrong, it's only about 1600 "real" miles. Easy Peazy my friend. Mrs. Samthg & I have already been to Bigfork, MT twice this year to visit my mother-in-law. Once on the RT and once this fall in our jeep. This lady is the greatest! She lived not far from us in CA, then retired 6 years ago to Bigfork. Kinda of a double edge sword. I kinda happily take Mrs. Samthg to see her mom, and I go hang out in Glacier NP. Not a bad gig, eh?

Now I need to cross that border this summer and get into your neck of the woods. Would like to experience Banff & Jasper and whatever you may suggest. I guess I'll have to start a new thread for 'Canadian suggestions'.
There's a coincidence.. we were in Bigfork twice last year, too! There is some fine riding in Montana. For that matter, there is some fine riding almost anywhere between where you are and where I am... In the last three seasons we have put 30,000 km on our Burgmans riding though BC, MT, ID, WA and eastern Oregon. There is some unbelievable riding in between. Next year we are headed to California to take a picture. I have a very old photo of my grandparents and their '68 Rambler taken at Legget, CA, inside the drive-though tree. I want a photo of us, taken at the same spot. It's as good an excuse as any for a road trip!

If you do decide to travel into Canada, post in the Regional Forums section and there will be no shortage of suggestions as to what are the best roads to ride. There are many, almost all in BC. Beware, though, that BC is considerably more expensive than the US. Last year we went to Victoria through Washington and came back through BC. On average, BC cost us an additional $60 per day for meals, gas, accommodation and taxes (two people, two bikes, one room). We knew what to expect, but it was still a rude shock. If it helps, we have been all through the area on our bikes and have our own shortlist of favourite roads.

Have fun shopping and Ride safe
Scott Fraser
Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #21
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,612
nice advice and info!

Well this has become a good tread to read!!!

Sorry to the OP I have never ridden this scooter or any maxi, but I will like to ADD a maxi or mid size and the yamaha looks to be there in size, price and features!

I would like the 650 but that is just too much money and I am not saying it is not worth it, just that I can't pay it (now).

I will continue reading

Damasovi
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #22
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_F View Post
There's a coincidence.. we were in Bigfork twice last year, too! There is some fine riding in Montana. For that matter, there is some fine riding almost anywhere between where you are and where I am... In the last three seasons we have put 30,000 km on our Burgmans riding though BC, MT, ID, WA and eastern Oregon. There is some unbelievable riding in between. Next year we are headed to California to take a picture. I have a very old photo of my grandparents and their '68 Rambler taken at Legget, CA, inside the drive-though tree. I want a photo of us, taken at the same spot. It's as good an excuse as any for a road trip!
If you are going to California late June why not continue down to San Diego for Amerivespa? Canadians are welcome, as is anyone else on a scooter.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #23
sealsam OP
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
PSummer 2011 my husband and I rode from Breckenridge, Colorado to Fallbrook, California. He on our Sports City 250 and me on my BV 500.

Photos from that trip are on my blog starting at http://cheryldwise.com/?p=164
Ahhhhh, now you did it, another option. THANK YOU!!

So I'm running around doing errands for work, and I end up in the Santa Monica Piaggio dealer. I find out the BV500 is no longer. Now it is the BV350. This may be the ticket. A decent mid-weight scoot with great power and a solid name. The up right sitting posistion feels like my RT(I was sitting on a used 250?, that is suppose to be similar). The dealer had 5 just a short time ago, but they were gobbled up in no time. They hope to get one at the end of the month.

I did look at the SYM300 last week, and I suppose these two bikes are similar in ergo's.

BTW, I did link up to your blog. Great reading, I really enjoyed it. I now realize, I'll be carrying an extra rear tire when traveling.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #24
sealsam OP
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
Well this has become a good tread to read!!!

Damasovi
You'd think I would know better at this age, but I thought shopping for a little scoot for a little traveling would be easy.

I'm . The input I'm receiving has become very, very helpful.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #25
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You'd think I would know better at this age, but I thought shopping for a little scoot for a little traveling would be easy.

I'm . The input I'm receiving has become very, very helpful.
We have two Burgmans and a Yamaha VStar 1100 and Kawasaki 900 Vulcan and another little Yamaha Vino 125. My son has a 2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 200. He likes it a lot. It goes fast enough to keep up and it surprised me at how well it rode from Kelowna to Calgary, 600 miles of mountain roads, very much fun. (I was on my V-Star.) It's a very nice scooter, very capable, but it has no storage space.

As for Aprilia = Piaggio, my experience is that it is very difficult to get parts if anything breaks. We waited fourteen months. We met a lady in a gas station who raved about her Aprila Mana (cool bike!), but she reported that it was in the shop for half the season in 2011, likewise waiting on parts. As far as we can determine, the problem lies with the North American Piaggio distributor not getting parts from Italy (or wherever they come from nowadays).

Your mileage may vary, but ask around before you fall in love with a Piaggio motorcycle. I don't have the same problems getting parts from Suzuki or Yamaha or Kawasaki. I know there are people that really like them, but I would not own another one unless I lived in Europe. I don't believe they take the North American scooter market seriously, but then who does?

Regards
Scott Fraser
Old 01-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #26
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Ahhhhh, now you did it, another option. THANK YOU!!

So I'm running around doing errands for work, and I end up in the Santa Monica Piaggio dealer. I find out the BV500 is no longer. Now it is the BV350. This may be the ticket. A decent mid-weight scoot with great power and a solid name. The up right sitting posistion feels like my RT(I was sitting on a used 250?, that is suppose to be similar). The dealer had 5 just a short time ago, but they were gobbled up in no time. They hope to get one at the end of the month.

I did look at the SYM300 last week, and I suppose these two bikes are similar in ergo's.

BTW, I did link up to your blog. Great reading, I really enjoyed it. I now realize, I'll be carrying an extra rear tire when traveling.
I still need up add the updates for my ride to Amerivespa in Lake Geneva, WI last summer. That was quite a sweep of 4,600 miles from door to door. Took the BV 500 instead of the Scarabeo on that one but this time made arrangements to switch out the rear tire during Amerivespa. Of course, it is now time for a major service before next long trip.

Left Breckenridge, CO up through Wyoming to Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse over to Sturgis (picked up a t-shirt for when I'm riding with my friends on their Harleys) through the Badlands over to Lake Geneva. Then down to Chicago where I picked up a flight out for a couple days of work leaving the BV in airport garage parking. Left Midway and went up to the Lake Express Ferry Michigan side across back to WI. Through North Dakota including Theodore Roosevelt National Park then I went down through Yellowstone and Grand Tetons back to Breckenridge.

Oh and neither I nor my dealers have ever had a serious problem getting Piaggio parts. The only thing I ever had to wait more than a couple days for was a new speedo replaced under warrant. Even that wouldn't have taken more than a week except it was the first of August when Italy basically shuts down. Part came in first part of September but it didn't stop me from riding, just judged speed by vehicles around me or gps.

cdwise screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 05:51 PM
Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #27
skutorr
Torr Max

Oddometer: 4
MY TURN!!

First, you must be talking about the Banner Grade, up from the desert to Julian. GREAT ROAD! Did it on my 2009 Majesty with Dr. Pulley 15gm sliders, following my brother on his Burgman 650. Actually, RIDING his ASS.

The Majesty 400 was about perfect, BUT I had upgraded to Dr. Pulley's to keep it at its torque peak, had sticky Michelin dual-compound tires, and replaced all the original ORGANIC brake pads with SINTERED...a MUST DO!!!

The original windscreen is USELESS..I put on a BIONDI Touring Screen from Italy...could light a MATCH behind it at 80mph.

Also, toured from San Diego to San Jose and back with my brothers on their Burgman 650's. 75-80 mph (actual) on the freeway...no problem, all day long.

Paid $4,300 at the Dealer,used with 700 miles on it, only ridden for 4 months. Just sold it for $4,000 cash after two years and 6,000 miles.

UNFORTUNATELY, I had to sell it because I test-rode a TMAX 500. After my brother did. He SOLD both his Burgman 650 and SYM Citycom 300; TMAX does everything they both did...BETTER.

Found my NEW 2009 Tmax at a dealer in SJC; list was $8,400...I paid $6,300. AMAZING bike. Last month my brother and I "borrowed" a C650gt from the BMW Dealer and took turns on it while the other rode the Tmax. In almost every area the Tmax was equal to or BETTER than the $11,000 C650. (And we haven't put in the Dr. Pulley's yet!)

My full face SyMaxII helmet WOULN"T fit under the Majesty seat until I took a HAMMER and HEAT GUN to the compartment ABS...it just drops into the Tmax. Who knew?

(and my other brother ALSO has a Burgman 400..oil leaker, clutch problems...AVOID!!!)

My Spin? Stay with Yamaha! Spend $3-4k for a used Majesty, or (and I REALLY MEAN THIS) get a Tmax...still one available in Costa Mesa NEW for $6,500, in Corona with 1,500 miles for $5,500.

http://www.cycletrader.com/New-Or-Us...CA&vrsn=hybrid

Neil
skutorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #28
mrmgoo
beemerscoot

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
I'm in the scoot market for Mrs. Samthg & me, but not for two-up. I'll be buying 2 scoots.

The 250 & under will not do it. I want to be able to venture out of town 100-150mi for overnight trips. This is gunna require some highway travel and 60mph won't work, gotta go faster than that just to keep up.

The weights of the maxi's is the same as my RT. The Majesty 400 is about 100 lbs less. The seat height is a plus at 29". Had the wife on a SYM at a couple inches taller and she straddled it ok.

The valve adjustment involvement is a concern.

I've been over to BMW a few times, but at $10k and 575lbs, I don't think so.

Guess i'm just fishing around for some reason to buy or not to buy.

What'd think??.....
I put 19,00 on a Majesty and it was awomderful Scoot! After two yeare I decided to change the color,so I bought a 650 BMW and it is also wonderful so far.I've put 1300 miles on it so far,and would recommend it to anyone! The bigger tires and beefed up frame makes it ride like any bigger bike. You will love a Majesty,but I would recommend they You look further at the C 650 GT BMW. You might as well start with the best!. Ride safe.....and often.Mrmgoo.
mrmgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #29
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,983
Well, it looks like I may be getting a Majesty. I was looking at $4000 scooters, in the 200cc range. But I just sold my '95 Goldwing today, after being on the fence about it for months, and now have another $4000 to spend. I've decided that Japanese is the way to go, for parts and reliability. The Majesty may seem expensive for what it is, but I was also seriously considering a Honda CTX700N at about the same price. The Majesty would be more comfortable and no shifting. After doing some research, there is really not much else available. The Burg 650 is simply too big, not much smaller than the 'Wing, which I was having issues with in tight spots and parking lots. The 400 is a lot more expensive, and has ABS, which I DO NOT WANT.

I checked all the maxi scooters several months ago. The Silverwing was the best fit, with it's cutouts in the floorboards for your legs. But I just checked Honda's site, the priced has not been released yet, but it is not available without ABS, something I don't want, and that would make it a lot more expensive than I want to pay.

I considered Vespa, Piaggio, and Kymco. Vespa is simply too expensive (GTS300 Super), the Piaggio BV350 is about $1000 less, but you would lose a good part of that in additional fees because it is being sold by a Vespa/BMW dealer, it's 50cc less, and I'm not sure about parts availability. The Kymco Xciting 500 is the same price, has 100cc more, unfortunately it is not available without ABS. And while I have nothing against Kymco, I won't pay the same price for a Kymco as I would a Yamaha.

So, the Majesty is pretty much it for a maxi. I definitely want new, because I intend to ride the wheels off it. And I will maintain it properly from the very beginning. And it would almost certainly be my last new bike. Three things I don't like about the 2013 Majesty is the dark color that shows dirt and scratches so easily, the wide floorboards, and then there is the $600+ valve adjustment, which while only needed every 26,000 miles, is a bit much. That would be about 2 years riding for me.

Time to do some serious negotiating with the dealers, and see what I can come up with. I AM NOT paying an extra $1000 in freight and setup fees.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:29 AM   #30
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Well, it looks like I may be getting a Majesty. I was looking at $4000 scooters, in the 200cc range. But I just sold my '95 Goldwing today, after being on the fence about it for months, and now have another $4000 to spend. I've decided that Japanese is the way to go, for parts and reliability. The Majesty may seem expensive for what it is, but I was also seriously considering a Honda CTX700N at about the same price. The Majesty would be more comfortable and no shifting. After doing some research, there is really not much else available. The Burg 650 is simply too big, not much smaller than the 'Wing, which I was having issues with in tight spots and parking lots. The 400 is a lot more expensive, and has ABS, which I DO NOT WANT.

I checked all the maxi scooters several months ago. The Silverwing was the best fit, with it's cutouts in the floorboards for your legs. But I just checked Honda's site, the priced has not been released yet, but it is not available without ABS, something I don't want, and that would make it a lot more expensive than I want to pay.

I considered Vespa, Piaggio, and Kymco. Vespa is simply too expensive (GTS300 Super), the Piaggio BV350 is about $1000 less, but you would lose a good part of that in additional fees because it is being sold by a Vespa/BMW dealer, it's 50cc less, and I'm not sure about parts availability. The Kymco Xciting 500 is the same price, has 100cc more, unfortunately it is not available without ABS. And while I have nothing against Kymco, I won't pay the same price for a Kymco as I would a Yamaha.

So, the Majesty is pretty much it for a maxi. I definitely want new, because I intend to ride the wheels off it. And I will maintain it properly from the very beginning. And it would almost certainly be my last new bike. Three things I don't like about the 2013 Majesty is the dark color that shows dirt and scratches so easily, the wide floorboards, and then there is the $600+ valve adjustment, which while only needed every 26,000 miles, is a bit much. That would be about 2 years riding for me.

Time to do some serious negotiating with the dealers, and see what I can come up with. I AM NOT paying an extra $1000 in freight and setup fees.
From the sounds of it, Jerry, you have considered your options well. Respect. Yamaha makes a good motorcycle, always has. The Majesty sounds like a good fit for you and I'm sure you will be happy together. It's big enough to go cross-country and small enough to scoot around town. You will have fun, no doubt. Keep us posted.

Regards
Scott Fraser