Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #61
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
Thanks for the reply kubiak.Well,I understand what your saying,but,this is not a dust material.It is literally a tacky,shiny substance?. I figured that it could be a chemical or something in the lube that is just showing it-self at around the 100 mile mark each time?. When I see something strange I usually ask you more technical/ experienced folks!. I used the auto tranny visual for content....it would also remind you of the soda....Barques(spelling) red cream soda?....strange I know ,but....it's there?.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #62
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Thanks for the reply kubiak.Well,I understand what your saying,but,this is not a dust material.It is literally a tacky,shiny substance?. I figured that it could be a chemical or something in the lube that is just showing it-self at around the 100 mile mark each time?. When I see something strange I usually ask you more technical/ experienced folks!. I used the auto tranny visual for content....it would also remind you of the soda....Barques(spelling) red cream soda?....strange I know ,but....it's there?.
hmmmm, i dont know what that is. let me know when you find out for sure!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #63
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Will do.....I'm still leading that is a "compund" of the lube showing itself?.Time will tell.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #64
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Still haven't REALLY figured this out yet?.....but, I was trail riding two weeks or so ago and it was quite dusty.We do not have RED clay here,but maybe the clay "dust" turned color after the bike was parked/sat for awhile?.If I ever definetly figure this out I'll humor folks and advise.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #65
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,940
Quote:
I use Honda-line chainlube on my TW chain(OEM).On the last five or so cleanings and relubing,after about 100 miles,I notice a red residue on portions of the chain?. No jokes please(well,you are using Honda chain lube)...yea,I get it...i'm using it because I had several can's left over from my former 650L. Any ideas?.It reminds me of automatic transmisson fluid in appearence?.
I have this happen before, too. On a few bikes. I think it may be rust even though I was in the desert when it happened and kept chain clean and lubed.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #66
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Still haven't REALLY figured this out yet?.....but, I was trail riding two weeks or so ago and it was quite dusty.We do not have RED clay here,but maybe the clay "dust" turned color after the bike was parked/sat for awhile?.If I ever definetly figure this out I'll humor folks and advise.
I've read somewhere or a cycle mechanic told me that this red residue indicates that the o-ring or x-ring seals are breaking down and its time for a new chain. I don't remember where I read it or heard it.

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

I'm never lost... Because I'm always right where I'm at...
Kankujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #67
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Well,I understand what your saying,but, the OEM chain on a TW in non-o-ring.Anyway,I think what I'm going to do is,clean the chain within an inch of it's life AND try a different lube?. We'll see,I'll let ya'll know what I find/see.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #68
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

I was cleaning the chain this afternoon prior to going to work....didn't get finished. Anyway,while cleaning with WD-40,I noticed alot of "chunky" crud coming out and me wiping the same crud off.I think I'm going to try some DuPont Teflon multiuse lube?....i've read go things about this dry type lube.If I can't find any at Walmart on my way home,I'll try Home DePot on my off day(been working 6 days a week since October)?.Hmmmm,I may also try,BelRay super-clean lube....another good dry chain lube I've read about?.We'll see......I'll let ya know.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #69
Indy21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama67 View Post
I love my little TW, so fun, mine will run up to 70, but it is best enjoyed by me at 45, taking it all in.

oh, and a year of insurance is $14. lol
Good to hear, I'm planning on picking one of these up within a year, it will be my first bike. The cheaper things like insurance are the better. :)

I'm in Homewood, btw
Indy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #70
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ][ndy View Post
Good to hear, I'm planning on picking one of these up within a year, it will be my first bike. The cheaper things like insurance are the better. :)

I'm in Homewood, btw
Go to the TW200discussion forum...........lots of accurate info there!.Issues with maintenance etc.....that forum is the place to be for TW's.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #71
RobertAmsterdam
www.twbastards.com

Oddometer: 187
Cheers from Amsterdam:

twbastards.tumblr.com
Old 01-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #72
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Hello Amsterdam.....like the shield & helmet you have!.......I presume that is a TW your riding there?.After market headlight?.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #73
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Hello Amsterdam.....like the shield & helmet you have!.......I presume that is a TW your riding there?.After market headlight?.
i think over there they are call van van and they come with that stock light! here somewhere there was a ride report of 2 girls going around Europe on those!

Damasovi
Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #74
andrewsclues
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
i think over there they are call van van and they come with that stock light! here somewhere there was a ride report of 2 girls going around Europe on those!

Damasovi
Van van is a Suzuki product... although it is similar to the mighty TW.... I think that's a TW in that picture, but I can't tell for sure without seeing the motor.
1987 Yamaha TW200
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
andrewsclues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #75
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Correct, Van Van is Suzuki,but as stated,it looks just like the TW's little brother.....there FI now also.