User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #46
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 936
I guess this rings true for me as well

My beast, a 99 Transalp, has taken me through 11000 miles over the past 14 months, around 3000 of which were on long-distance trips. I always say that my bike's weakest link is the idiot sitting on top of it, and this rings true; it's been at the side of the road three times now:

- once because it ran out of petrol when I just had it for a few days
- once when I drove into a ditch somewhere in Scotland, amazingly coming out completely unharmed
- once when a brakecaliper rattled itself loose as I went 60 on the freeway, as I'd forgotten to use Loctite whilst remounting the caliper two weeks before.

With the last one, a towtruck had to take me out of harm's way. The feeling I had when it was strapped on that truck was just one of pure guilt - I really genuinely felt as if I'd let it down. In Scotland, I remember sneaking out my hotelroom during the night just to check whether it was still there - I genuinely don't like leaving it alone, anywhere at all.

I guess you could say it's just become way more than a machine to me.
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #47
mr. matteeanne
Barned

Oddometer: 14,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
I see a lot of remarks about how some people love their bike. I mean, very, very attached to their sleds. Stuff like old VFRs, a lot of it on the BMW and KTM specific threads.

Are you especially attached to any one or all of your bikes?

I've got a KTM 950 Supermoto, a Ducati S4 and a CT-70 right at the moment. I like both big bikes. I really like the 70, I had a brand new one in 1970, same as the one I have now. But I could part with any or all of them in a minute if the deal was right.

Any of you got a bike that you will never part with?
I have had 9 bikes in 9 years. I ride them till they are about to fall apart then sell them. All I ever buy aside from upgrades is oil, tires, and brake pads. Has a stator fail on my DL1000, most I ever spent in repairs.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 AM   #48
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,259
I currently have two motorcycles. I have a 2002 Dakar over here in Finland and a 1998 Harley Low Rider in the United States.

I won't part with the Harley. It belonged to my late father, who passed when I was in my later 20's. There is quite a bit of memory stored in that bike, times we spent at the motorcycle races when I was a kid (Jay Springsteen at the Springfield Mile baby!), motocross races, flat track of all kinds, hill climbs. Trail riding all over the place and some trips out to Sturgis in the early 1980's. Of course, it wasn't on that THAT bike obviously, but the connection brings back a lot of memories every time I ride it. So when I'm on the bike I have lots of those memories and its a nice feeling to keep that machine running and touring. Next time will be this summer 2013, getting excited.

The Dakar is the bike I chose for myself. I really love it and will keep it as long as it's running well. I figure it's got 5-6 more seasons at least and then I will think about it. But honestly, if someone offered me enough money for it, I would part with it no problem. Thing is, right now I would accept what anyone would probably offer on it...and what I would demand at this point would be far too high for a normal buyer. That's just because I'm not looking to sell a fully decked out Dakar without getting enough money to deck out a new one.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:02 AM   #49
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,074
I don't see ever selling this R6. I had it built for my youngest son as a graduation present. Its last race was the AMA National at NJMP 2011. We had troubles with it after a practice lowside and never really got up to his pace after that. But he finished both races mid pack around 20th.

It has a full kit motor, Ohlins fork internals, Penske shock, Akrapovic system quick shifter plus all the little parts required.

Meanwhile, this one is probably my last motorcycle:
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #50
WMD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
I think I'll buy and modify an XR650l
Hmmmmm, who put that idea in yer head?

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #51
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
I really became attached to my little Chinese Hotian 150cc (Boo, the little bike that could). It was the first new bike I had ever bought and she carried me across Xinxiang, the Askai Chin and Tibet w/o so much as a flat. I was really sad to let let her go.

I hope you're well my little friend...

Boo visits Mnt. Khailas.

Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #52
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Old 01-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #53
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Yes, the Honda CG125 clone. Great engine design. My Lifan 200 (also a CG125 clone) has done over 36,000 miles so far without so much as a hiccup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
I really became attached to my little Chinese Hotian 150cc (Boo, the little bike that could). It was the first new bike I had ever bought and she carried me across Xinxiang, the Askai Chin and Tibet w/o so much as a flat. I was really sad to let let her go.

I hope you're well my little friend...

Boo visits Mnt. Khailas.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote