Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #61
Spyker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Won't it be cheaper to order the complete gasket set rather than individual gaskets? When I rebuilt my Dakar I ordered the complete set.
Spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #62
ericsbr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyker View Post
Won't it be cheaper to order the complete gasket set rather than individual gaskets? When I rebuilt my Dakar I ordered the complete set.
I did the math and the kit was more $ than the individual gaskets/seals i needed. I'm reusing the cam cover gasket. If not the kit may have been the better deal.
ericsbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #63
ericsbr
Adventurer

More parts have arrived! New counterbalance shaft bearings are sealed vs old ones that were open. Every other internal engine bearing is open. Hmmm? What's better? Sealed are dependent on the grease that was put inside for its lifespan. Any wear particles are stuck inside too. Open bearings get constantly flushed and lubed with engine oil. Maybe better cooled by the oil too? Let the debate begin!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #64
divimon2000 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
My vote is for using what BMW currently makes (in this case sealed). Why? I have a feeling the boys at BMW engineering in Munich and the corporate structure of ISO 9002 (or whatever they use probably more sophisticated) for QA production naturally create a better part (in general).
divimon2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #65
Spyker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by divimon2000 View Post
My vote is for using what BMW currently makes (in this case sealed). Why? I have a feeling the boys at BMW engineering in Munich and the corporate structure of ISO 9002 (or whatever they use probably more sophisticated) for QA production naturally create a better part (in general).
I'm pretty sure BMW doesn't make bearings. They just repackage SKF, NTN etc.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #66
Spyker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsbr View Post

More parts have arrived! New counterbalance shaft bearings are sealed vs old ones that were open. Every other internal engine bearing is open. Hmmm? What's better? Sealed are dependent on the grease that was put inside for its lifespan. Any wear particles are stuck inside too. Open bearings get constantly flushed and lubed with engine oil. Maybe better cooled by the oil too? Let the debate begin!
By the way, when I pulled the bearings for replacement some bearings only had a seal on one side. the workshop manual states to press the new bearings in with the seal on the outside. So I pried one of the seals off the bearings.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #67
ericsbr
Adventurer

Quote:
I'm pretty sure BMW doesn't make bearings. They just repackage SKF, NTN etc.
true. my old were NTN, new were NSK. each bearing maker prob has different levels of quality for different customer needs.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #68
ericsbr
Adventurer

Quote:
By the way, when I pulled the bearings for replacement some bearings only had a seal on one side. the workshop manual states to press the new bearings in with the seal on the outside. So I pried one of the seals off the bearings.
what year is your dakar? what workshop manual were you using?
Old 01-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #69
Spyker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsbr View Post
what year is your dakar? what workshop manual were you using?
I have a 2004 twinspark. Drop me a PM and I will send you the link

Spyker screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 08:13 PM
Old 01-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #70
ericsbr
Adventurer

interesting NSK technical article on sealed trans bearings-

http://jeep.yager.net/docs/trans-toy...nsmissions.pdf
Old 01-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #71
divimon2000 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
That's a confirmation for sure. Sealed is better. Whaddya gonna do? Keep em as is, or you going rogue?

divimon2000 screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 06:17 AM
divimon2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #72
ericsbr
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by divimon2000 View Post
That's a confirmation for sure. Sealed is better. Whaddya gonna do? Keep em as is, or you going rogue?
dont rush me divimon! i still have time to flip-flop. could end up a coin toss. i would agree that sealed would be better if the engine/trans oil was very dirty or metal contaminated, but if the oil is kept clean and the engine/trans is "healthy" then more oil exposure seems better.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #73
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,054
Do your self a favor and pop one of the seals off and see how much grease is in the bearing.

You might decide that there is not enough lubricant for the long haul after all. If it were me I'd pull the seals and let the motor oil do it's thing but that's just me.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #74
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Do your self a favor and pop one of the seals off and see how much grease is in the bearing.

You might decide that there is not enough lubricant for the long haul after all. If it were me I'd pull the seals and let the motor oil do it's thing but that's just me.
KTM did this same thing with the cam shaft bearings on the early RFS motors. The original ones were unsealed, to be lubed by engine oil. Then they were superceded by new bearings that were sealed. However, even though sealed they were still in an oil bathed environment. I spoke to some bearing experts (real professionals, not hacks) and they said KTM was crazy because oil is thin enough to seap into the bearing past the seals. When it does this it washes out the grease, but does not provide enough lubricant to keep the bearings running properly. KTM worked around this by recommending the bearings be replaced frequently.

So I guess the point I'm making is that not all factory ideas are that good. (Not to mention, the original KTM bearings were the lowest quality/cheapest bearings sold in Europe (again according the bearing pros), which is mostly likely why they failed in the first place.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #75
ericsbr
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
KTM did this same thing with the cam shaft bearings on the early RFS motors. The original ones were unsealed, to be lubed by engine oil. Then they were superceded by new bearings that were sealed. However, even though sealed they were still in an oil bathed environment. I spoke to some bearing experts (real professionals, not hacks) and they said KTM was crazy because oil is thin enough to seap into the bearing past the seals. When it does this it washes out the grease, but does not provide enough lubricant to keep the bearings running properly. KTM worked around this by recommending the bearings be replaced frequently.

So I guess the point I'm making is that not all factory ideas are that good. (Not to mention, the original KTM bearings were the lowest quality/cheapest bearings sold in Europe (again according the bearing pros), which is mostly likely why they failed in the first place.
what i have learned so far is not all sealed bearings are the same. wheel bearings for instance would be lubed for life with grease, and sealed to keep grease in and water and road dirt out.

my new bmw bearings are designed for transmissions. they are greased only for initial lubrication, then the seal allows engine/trans oil to "leak in" to do the lubrication after the grease is washed out. they are designed this way.