Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #901
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Have a soft spot for the 80s/90s Barbie plastics. Extra points for purple frame.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #902
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Have a soft spot for the 80s/90s Barbie plastics. Extra points for purple frame.
The girlfriend wants to try painting it with the plastic paint, she's saying flat black. I don't know, the color is growing on me. Her bike though.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #903
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
The girlfriend wants to try painting it with the plastic paint, she's saying flat black. I don't know, the color is growing on me. Her bike though.

My 95, for reference.

The previous owner painted it, were it me I would have left it the factory color but this looks fine as well.
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #904
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeper View Post
My 95, for reference.

The previous owner painted it, were it me I would have left it the factory color but this looks fine as well.
Thanks, she's seen that picture a few times actually. She wants seat and frame done also, along with trimming an inch or so of foam out of the seat. It's a project for next winter I think.

How's the windshield done? I was wanting to put a screen on and make some wind deflectors on the handguards for now, at least until it warms up some. Handguards will be easy, it has bark busters on it already.

Does anyone have any of the gas tank rubber puck things laying around, or know of a cheap source? I need that, a left radiator shroud, and some mirrors. The mirrors broke off at the base and ripped some of the switch housing out, I'll just get some universal clamp on one's I imagine. The shround isn't too important right away, but I'd like to get one eventually. It's there, just cracked and bent out from the missing rubber tank puck.

jules083 screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 07:10 AM
Old 01-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #905
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
removing suspension links

The KLR250 supplement manual shows 4 snap rings that hold the rear suspension links in. I don't see snap rings, appears to just be a washer, no split and no snap ring plier holes. Anyone run into this before? Do I just pry these washers off?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #906
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfye55 View Post
The KLR250 supplement manual shows 4 snap rings that hold the rear suspension links in. I don't see snap rings, appears to just be a washer, no split and no snap ring plier holes. Anyone run into this before? Do I just pry these washers off?

Thanks
There are snap rings over the washers holding the suspension in place. They can be a little hard to see at first, especially if the components are dirty. Otherwise it's a bit difficult to get the washers off.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #907
redneckdan
Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer: 577
Yup, little wire 'C-rings' versus what we would normally think of a snap ring which has the two little holes to use pliers for removal. Find the notch in the C-ring then use a pair of small blade screw drivers or dental picks to pry the ends out of the groove.

Pay attention to how the dog bones come off, they are asymetrical; unlike the 650 which can be swapped side to side or upside down.

My wifes bike is a barbie colored '95. She wants to paint it as well, she is think a desert tan color. Maybe next winter we will get around to doing a total tear down.

When you get a chance, tear down the forks or at least change the fluid. Found some nasty stuff in there when I did mine last month.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #908
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
When you get a chance, tear down the forks or at least change the fluid. Found some nasty stuff in there when I did mine last month.
Highly recommend this. It's easier than you'd think to do and can make the bike feel much better.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #909
beeper
Badger tickler

Quote:
Thanks, she's seen that picture a few times actually. She wants seat and frame done also, along with trimming an inch or so of foam out of the seat. It's a project for next winter I think.

How's the windshield done? I was wanting to put a screen on and make some wind deflectors on the handguards for now, at least until it warms up some. Handguards will be easy, it has bark busters on it already.

The windshield is an aftermarket tall screen from a KLR 650 that I cut a few inches off the bottom and simply drilled and bolted it to the stock flyscreen. It works great at keeping the windblast off my chest and there is zero buffeting at highway speeds( btw I'm 6'4", results may vary), I'm pleased at how it worked out.
The wind defectors I cut from an old plastic truck bedliner.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #910
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
Hey newcastledan...

I gave you an ADV salute as I flew over G-ville at 3000' this afternoon. What's up with these friggin' clouds?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #911
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks beeper. I take it the stock front piece is stiff enough to support a small screen then. The one I make her will probably be smaller, as she's only 5'4". She doesn't really care right now if I make one or not, and might not even like it after I make it. She's never had one before.

She's pretty bummed out over the weather right now. Yesterday was cold. Today it should hit 45, she has to work all day. Turning cold again tomorrow.

Todays plan is just an oil change and a bit longer test ride, I want to be sure about everything working right. It seems to bog a bit with a quick throttle opening, but I think that will clear up if I let it warm up more. It was 20 something when I rode it, and I didn't go far. 1/8 th mile at most.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #912
beeper
Badger tickler

Quote:
Thanks beeper. I take it the stock front piece is stiff enough to support a small screen then.

I failed to mention, the top bolts are long enough to just come in contact with the gauges for added support. I placed a piece of duct tape where the bolts contact the gauges and that was sufficient to protect the plastic housing. So yes, the stock flyscreen seems strong enough.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #913
redneckdan
Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer: 577
The momentary off idle bog is a trait of the carburator Kawasaki selected for this bike. Things can be done to reduce or eliminate it (ranging from tweaking the CV to pumper or FI) but they will affect fuel mileage.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #914
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Good to know, thanks. I think I'll just turn the air screw out a touch to see what that does then call it good. It runs fine otherwise, no sense opening a can of worms with jetting.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #915
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,966
Quote:
Good to know, thanks. I think I'll just turn the air screw out a touch to see what that does then call it good. It runs fine otherwise, no sense opening a can of worms with jetting.
Although Kawasaki may use another nomenclature, the screw-in-question is commonly called a fuel screw, given its location on the engine side of the carb. Idle mixture screws on the air intake side of carburetors are called air screws.

Backing out the fuel screw, as you suggest, fuel-enriches the idle mixture. 1-3/4 turns out (from a soft bottoming) should be a good starting point, IMHO.

While I don't think the "22-cent mod," drilling out the slide vacuum port to 7/64" diameter and shimmng the needle with a # 4 washer, of great significance on the KLR250's CVK34 carburetor, might improve throttle response some.

Yet, as redneckdan posts above, CV carburetors have an inherent lag in slide opening, after the throttle is opened.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote