Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #73006
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasLeader View Post
My bike does the same thing. Doesn't burn up a noticeable amount of oil and stops smoking after a minute. It's been doing it a lot less lately too. I think the only problem I have with it is being a little embarrassed when I'm warming up my bike and spitting smoke at people walking by me.
Same here. My '96 has 20K miles on it. Only after a long period of not starting.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #73007
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,832
Wow! Just the right colors. U should be selling that rope and idea on the KLR forum, you'll be able to retire in no time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Re: grips...

I may have to replace mine eventually when I change bars, but I'm certainly not going for foam grips (that nobody has) when this 'solution' has worked for me on two bikes and many miles so far:

Tightly wound in a spiral, these cushion and leave no noticeable pressure points that had my hands tingling after many miles with traditional grips.

And, they're wider than most grips - I don't even have big hands, but I find this far more comfortable.

Yeah, yeah, I wish I had some other color rope to change it... sorta... but it's what I had on hand from the limited choices Home Depot had that day. (Of course within days they had most colors available again.)

If even only as a stop-gap until you can find foam grips, I think if its comfort you're looking for, you might try this out.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #73008
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
There are 2 reasons why you don't see grips on the DR page. First, I like to keep the number of 'general' items that folks can usually get at any shop to a minimum - especially on the pages that are so filled out like the DR page. Second, for most folks replacing grips on the DR for the first time can become a nightmare of a job.

Some day we'll have some separate pages for our favorite general items.
After reading about the throttle grip being bonded to the tube it just made sense to order a new tube with the grips-my time is worth more than the few dollars a new tube costs, and the next grip change will be easy.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #73009
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Fellas,
Can the carb inlet tube on the stock BST be rotated ?
Yup. I padded the tube with a shop rag, then applied gently-increasing torque with a wrench until it moved.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #73010
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,368
Thanks fellas

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #73011
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
grips...

Gran Turismo grips are a good option, have been around at least 40 years...they are tapered and soft in the middle, very comfortable for long rides and not too slippery...vintage British bike parts suppliers often carry them

victor441 screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 10:42 AM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #73012
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
GREAT IDEA

Have been thinking about thicker grips but want to retain my Cramp Buster. Your idea will enable me to keep my Buster.
Inerestingly enough, because I lay down a grip's-length of rope across the grip before wreapping it, with the right placing the throttle's "bulge" from that underlying end of rope it acts as sort of a cramp-buster. That, or for both hands at least an ergonomically better bulge up into the palm than a standard purely-round grip.

The neat thing, of course, is experimenting and catering the rope to your needs.

I don't ever want to go back to tiny Japanese grips again.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #73013
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
If you look at the write up you will see that I use a drill bit with an old, dull counter-sink collar on it for grip and drill it by hand. There is really no way to loose control and damage the screw.
Sounds time consuming, but safe.
Quote:
I dont even drill all the way through the plug. The plug has a tiny hole already drilled in it which acts as a pilot for the drill bit but also allows a small fine thread screw to be turned a couple threads in if you leave a little bit of the cap when you drill.
Not drilling all the way through the plug precludes being able to tap the hole, which precludes being able to use a small puller, which opens up the possibility of cocking the plug on the way out, which opens up the possibility of cracking/breaking the fuel screw well.
Quote:
Prehaps I should remove a small amount of the spring in order to counter the increased preload?
If you knew that there were benefits to be had from increasing the spring rate, then clipping the spring would be a viable option. If not, you could modify the spring seat on either end of the spring in order to reduce the preload back to normal. The bottom one would be easiest, but the top one could be modified to simultaneously allow the slide to open all the way (as it is, it tops out ~.060" or so short).

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #73014
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
If you knew that there were benefits to be had from increasing the spring rate, then clipping the spring would be a viable option. If not, you could modify the spring seat on either end of the spring in order to reduce the preload back to normal. The bottom one would be easiest, but the top one could be modified to simultaneously allow the slide to open all the way (as it is, it tops out ~.060" or so short).

Regards,

Derek

Thanks for that. I will have a look at modifying the spring seat rather than the spring length. It make sense that clipping the spring would up the rate just like a fork spring. Will the increased spring tension caused by the needle shim cause a more sluggish throttle response?
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #73015
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
He can speak for himself.

If, however, you yourself are saying that none of you (who?) are aware of anyone who has used the stock needle with a modified airbox and achieved optimum results, I agree that with the USA needle, the possibility is slim (no need to shout BTW). If you are asserting that no one has used the non-USA stock needle with a modified airbox and achieved optimum results, then that's either because no one has tried, because whoever did try doesn't know how to tune, or because there is a better needle profile yet.Sure, let's!

The point I have been trying to make is that, based on the chart I have posted several times now, the results when using the DJ needle can hardly be called optimal, and that experience with many different needle profiles (including many of my own) on many different motorcycles has shown me that a profile such as the DJ needle has is likely to produce a wonky CO trace such as the DJ needle does in fact in practice produce. The same experience has shown me that a shape more like the non-USA adjustable needle has will in fact flatten the CO trace vs. what a needle with a shape like the DJ produces. I suppose there is always the possibility of an anomaly, but I can't see how the non-USA adjustable needle would not be an improvement over the DJ.I think that depends on the definition of the phrase "familiar with the practice of how to tune". I'm not saying that to be rude. It's just that there are different levels of experience and different levels of tuning (some of which are equipment-dependent). Unfortunately there's no way around that.

Regards,

Derek
So...Are you saying to try a non-USA (adjustable) stock needle, an open airbox, an adjustable idle-mix screw, a 150 Mikuni main jet, and a x40F0x muff with a smoothed header, at sea-level? Should the pilot jet remain stock or go a size bigger?

I'm planning to buy a brand-new DR, maybe this year. I'm willing to experiment before cutting the airbox (permanent), drilling the slide (semi-permanent), or wearing any carb components to questionable condition.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #73016
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
Gran Turismo grips are a good option, have been around at least 40 years...they are tapered and soft in the middle, very comfortable for long rides and not too slippery...vintage British bike parts suppliers often carry them

Well that was easy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HANDLEBAR-GR...sories&vxp=mtr
Old 01-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #73017
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin3kal View Post
Not sure if this is the right place for this question but wasn't getting too much love on the DDR site since my bike is a pre 96. Anywho, I have a 93 dr650 that broke the knuckle that attaches to the kickstart shaft (yup it's one of those bikes). Not much in the way of kickstart levers for this bike specifically related to the dr650 that don't cost an arm, a leg, and a wallet. Was wondering if anyone knew if any of the kickstart levers from a dr250 or 200 have the same spline count and diameter on their mounting knuckles.
Can it be welded, machined smooth, and then heated to relieve molecular tension?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #73018
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
Those are 'replica' grips. Does the original maker still make them?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #73019
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
Same here, if Suzuki were to make any changes I would rather see it receive better, fully adjustable suspension components.

Tech23
Wide-ratio 6spd and HD stator output would be cool. I don't think the current DR really needs much that the current aftermarket can't already deliver nicely. The DR-Z400 suspension could be grafted on easily and inexpensively, but could they retain the height-adjustment feature? A windscreen, luggage, 10WHP, comfy seat, knobs, skid, handguards, or huge plastic tank are also easy to add.

Let's hope that Suzuki keeps producing a good base to build from...inexpensively.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #73020
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I want the ProGrip foam rally grips.

No-one has them
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Grip-Foam-.../dp/B0036GNRIC
(just a USA google, havent actually bought them)
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote