Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #1471
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 321
I have never had top loading cases so the side loaders are just fine for me, the PO included dry bags that line the boxes so if I have little stuff it goes in there so that it doesn't fall out. I love the system honestly. Before this I had always used a backpack and tail bag on trips, the monokey combo beats the shit out of that.

-Jake
Old 12-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #1472
gpounce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Packing the loose junk into suitable bags is very helpful so stuff doesn't fall out as readily and keeps it sort-of organized, REI or equiv sells mesh zipper bags of various sizes. Never had any trouble with water getting in and I ride in anything short of torrential rain, that too if I get caught in it. I keep a spare qt of engine oil which was punctured by one of my DIY bungee cord ends (didn't dress that one well enough), and the oil didn't leak out either. That was a mess since it wouldn't drip dry...
gpounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #1473
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
Has anyone replaced the oil cooler recently?? I need to get a new one for my Gen 2. I was told there is some HEL model that would work well. Trying to get suggtestions together so that I can get the bike back on the road.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #1474
R0ssc0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
MFW Adjustable footpegs

Installed my MFW Adjustable footpegs today.

I didn't go with the cheaper Buell units due to their lack of adjustability.

But these MFW units went on without a hitch. I did have to adjust the shifter though.

Took the bike around the block.They feel different, and they definitely are an improvement over the stock pegs. I went with the "racing" style of pegs since they were the cheapest and appeared to be the lowest profile offering the most cornering clearance.

Haven't yet tested these in the long run. I think if I plan on doing an Iron Butt next year, I'll definitely need to get MFW's highway pegs that attach to my SW-Motech crashbars.
2003 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (Commuter rig)

R0ssc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #1475
oldschoolsk8ter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Do you have to shift your toe inward to shift? I tried the buell pegs and took them off after a trip around the block because they moved my foot farther out due to the step in the peg.

I had to angle my foot towards the engine to shift and I did not like that feeling.
oldschoolsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:02 AM   #1476
R0ssc0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Unfortunately yes. I had to adjust the shifter to make it lower for this but I still have to move my foot towards the engine.

Everyone's tolerances are different I guess.
2003 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (Commuter rig)

R0ssc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #1477
oldschoolsk8ter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Thanks, unfortunately my feet are fussy
oldschoolsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #1478
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,657
New to the Bandit 1200 world, just picking up a 2000 model.
Needs alot of TLC starting with fork seals which I'm doing. Not going to do new springs or emulators yet but wondering if I should put heavier oil in or play with preload spacers any? Recommendations for cheap tricks?

Did find a good link from a different forum for PDF manual if anyone else is looking:
http://theotherstyle.info/manuals/bi...%202000%5d.pdf
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #1479
gpounce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
There are a few "standard" mods for the forks and carbs, cheap upgrades for the clutch too.

Check holeshot.com for the Bandit jet kits, fork upgrades. A gsxr 600/750 clutch is an excellent upgrade. Maximum-suzuki.com is a good place to start.
gpounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #1480
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,657
Ok...so tackled the seals. Got everything out but having trouble getting the bushings into the fork lowers. It's the upper bushing, here is the video. Why won't it slide back into place? What am I missing or doing wrong?

This is where I'm at on both of the forks. You can see the top of the bushing that is immediately under the seal. Neither of them will seat.

Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #1481
vellies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
So, I have a GSX1250FA I bought last year and have done 9,000km. I am sick of the thing aiming all the wind it can collect at my head. I have been testing naked bikes (which I have always avoided) like the Speed Triple and Monster, just to find out at legal speeds none of them cause nearly the same amount of wind blast. Sure you are in the wind (it is a bike after all), but it is more even and a lot less irritating.

So, now the question becomes, do I sell mine and try to find a naked 1250 with ABS, which they no longer seem to sell in Australia, or is there a way to convert my bike to a naked.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #1482
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
vellies, is the wind coming in through the lowers? There are a few aftermarket shields that might help. I have just the upper fairing on my 650, and it's not bad. Might try Dale Walker at www.holeshot.com He has some aftermarket shields, and at any rate, he'd be worth an email on the subject. Cheers
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #1483
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by vellies View Post
So, I have a GSX1250FA I bought last year and have done 9,000km. I am sick of the thing aiming all the wind it can collect at my head. I have been testing naked bikes (which I have always avoided) like the Speed Triple and Monster, just to find out at legal speeds none of them cause nearly the same amount of wind blast. Sure you are in the wind (it is a bike after all), but it is more even and a lot less irritating.

So, now the question becomes, do I sell mine and try to find a naked 1250 with ABS, which they no longer seem to sell in Australia, or is there a way to convert my bike to a naked.

try here, some good stuff and they speak your language
http://nswbandits.forumotion.net/

or here
http://www.twtex.com/forums/index.php?
or here
http://www.riderforums.com/general-bandit-chat/

nbsdave screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 08:25 AM Reason: add info
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #1484
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:

I've found naked bikes to be much more comfortable than faired "non touring" bikes. I added windshields to both my XT660R and XJR1300 just to remove them later, removed the windshield on the XJR in the middle of a 1200km ride. I rather have a clean blast of air than all the turbulent air aimed by the windshield to my head. I find my SV1000S unridable without ear plugs because of the windnoise created by the turbulent air, not that I do long rides without ear plugs, but I do ride my other bikes without them in the city... Not the SV1K.

As for the naked conversion, you can convert it easily, but a lot of parts are required if you want it to look like a OEM naked Bandit.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #1485
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:

If you're sitting down, there's 400+ pages on the Bandit 1250 here:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17255

The windscreens have been discussed A LOT.

Drop in with your inseam and height and you'll probably get an answer
or two that many will agree with.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote