ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #1306
Josephvman
I'm the Decider
 
Josephvman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,445
That is a great shop! I grew up in STL and try to stop by when I'm there. Last time I was at Killer Vintage I bought a Reason Bambino 8w tube amp combo, which is amazing! Handmade, point to point wiring, and a cool "stack" mode than runs the clean and the overdrive channels in series and gives it a completely different sound.

Another good spot in STL is Eddie's Guitars on Manchester Rd. down in Maplewood. I bought my Collings from those guys the day before I bought the Bambino at Killer!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Went with my Dad to "Killer Vintage" in St. Louis to pick up his 1957 Fender Musicmaster and 1958 Supro 1650T that he had them go over. Holy crap, what a cool shop!

The guitar is cool as hell, but weird to play; 3/4 size feels cramped.

The Supro Amp sounds awesome! I think he'll have a lot of fun with that. Planning to gig with it tomorrow night.

I'll have to get some pics tomorrow.
__________________
'11 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport "Stormtrooper II"
'09 BMW HP2 Sport
'98 Ducati 900SS Final Edition "The old whore"
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #1307
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
That is a great shop! I grew up in STL and try to stop by when I'm there. Last time I was at Killer Vintage I bought a Reason Bambino 8w tube amp combo, which is amazing! Handmade, point to point wiring, and a cool "stack" mode than runs the clean and the overdrive channels in series and gives it a completely different sound.

Another good spot in STL is Eddie's Guitars on Manchester Rd. down in Maplewood. I bought my Collings from those guys the day before I bought the Bambino at Killer!
Those Reason amps are amazing. My Dad is considering one.

Killer has a nice Yairi acoustic that I'm really tempted to buy before I fly home
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #1308
Josephvman
I'm the Decider
 
Josephvman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,445
That Bambino is the loudest 8w amp I've ever heard, and most of the time I keep in switched to 2w, which is plenty loud in my townhome. The guy who started the company and designs their amps is a local engineer who's also a great guitar player.


I'm not sure if he still works there, but Brian Henneman, guitar player, songwriter, and singer for the great alt.country/redneck rock band "The Bottle Rockets" used to be at Killer part-time as a guitar tech. Brian is pretty terrific rhythm player.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Those Reason amps are amazing. My Dad is considering one.

Killer has a nice Yairi acoustic that I'm really tempted to buy before I fly home
__________________
'11 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport "Stormtrooper II"
'09 BMW HP2 Sport
'98 Ducati 900SS Final Edition "The old whore"
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #1309
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
That Bambino is the loudest 8w amp I've ever heard, and most of the time I keep in switched to 2w, which is plenty loud in my townhome. The guy who started the company and designs their amps is a local engineer who's also a great guitar player.


I'm not sure if he still works there, but Brian Henneman, guitar player, songwriter, and singer for the great alt.country/redneck rock band "The Bottle Rockets" used to be at Killer part-time as a guitar tech. Brian is pretty terrific rhythm player.


I used to play in a band with John Horton, the guy playing lead on the Explorer (I was a drummer then). I really like Brian Henneman's songwriting; I've learned a lot of his songs, probably more than anyone elses.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #1310
Josephvman
I'm the Decider
 
Josephvman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,445
It was New Patrons of Husbandry, was it?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I used to play in a band with John Horton, the guy playing lead on the Explorer (I was a drummer then). I really like Brian Henneman's songwriting; I've learned a lot of his songs, probably more than anyone elses.
__________________
'11 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport "Stormtrooper II"
'09 BMW HP2 Sport
'98 Ducati 900SS Final Edition "The old whore"
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #1311
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy
 
crazydrummerdude's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: St Louis, MO
Oddometer: 7,568
Going back to the scale talk.. I started studying guitar scales because I thought I could become some guitar genius. I already have years of music theory under my belt and thought I could throw it down on guitar.

A couple months ago, I realized that (almost) every riff/solo is just a pentatonic with the root on your index on the low e. Seriously.. now, why didn't anyone tell me this before?
__________________

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #1312
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
It was New Patrons of Husbandry, was it?
No, although I know all of those guys. My brother-in-law was their bass player, and still plays with some of those guys.

John (and I) played in a blues/rock band that my Dad had for awhile. I don't even remember what we called ourselves at that time; mostly played Washington MO/Union/New Haven area.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #1313
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
Going back to the scale talk.. I started studying guitar scales because I thought I could become some guitar genius. I already have years of music theory under my belt and thought I could throw it down on guitar.

A couple months ago, I realized that (almost) every riff/solo is just a pentatonic with the root on your index on the low e. Seriously.. now, why didn't anyone tell me this before?
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #1314
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 7,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
Going back to the scale talk.. I started studying guitar scales because I thought I could become some guitar genius. I already have years of music theory under my belt and thought I could throw it down on guitar.

A couple months ago, I realized that (almost) every riff/solo is just a pentatonic with the root on your index on the low e. Seriously.. now, why didn't anyone tell me this before?



You can get fancy and use "blues" scales, which are basically minor pentatonics with the 3rd and 7th sharped.


You can also play those from the three possition which is the 7th fret A string ...just to change it up lol
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #1315
Crocker
Just passing through
 
Crocker's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post


You can get fancy and use "blues" scales, which are basically minor pentatonics with the 3rd and 7th sharped.


You can also play those from the three possition which is the 7th fret A string ...just to change it up lol
What are you, some kind of Jazz player?
Crocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #1316
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 7,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocker View Post
What are you, some kind of Jazz player?

Started playing upright bass and sax
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #1317
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid
 
WeazyBuddha's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: RGV Texas
Oddometer: 4,563
You guys seen this? Pretty amazing or at least it is to me, a non guitar player (and owner of two guitars )

__________________
A drunk driver killed someone I love
WeazyBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #1318
Josephvman
I'm the Decider
 
Josephvman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,445
My brother is a bass player in STL that plays in a couple of bands. The Hula Poppers, and 710, a Grateful Dead cover band that has been around for at least twenty years.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
No, although I know all of those guys. My brother-in-law was their bass player, and still plays with some of those guys.

John (and I) played in a blues/rock band that my Dad had for awhile. I don't even remember what we called ourselves at that time; mostly played Washington MO/Union/New Haven area.
__________________
'11 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport "Stormtrooper II"
'09 BMW HP2 Sport
'98 Ducati 900SS Final Edition "The old whore"
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #1319
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy
 
crazydrummerdude's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: St Louis, MO
Oddometer: 7,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
You guys seen this? Pretty amazing or at least it is to me, a non guitar player (and owner of two guitars )
I'm a huge fan of properly executed delay. That was pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
My brother is a bass player in STL that plays in a couple of bands. The Hula Poppers, and 710, a Grateful Dead cover band that has been around for at least twenty years.
I like all this STL talk. I was playing (drums) in pretty much every club in/around STL (except The Pageant, although I still want to) from 03-06. It's vastly different today; far fewer clubs than there used to be.
__________________

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #1320
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer
 
Murphy Slaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Oddometer: 1,465
Here's another original with my 2003 Gibson J-45 RW. (ebony fretboard/ebony bridge)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3a-v3uvI9k
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014