User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #31
Bokononist

Oddometer: 16,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motornoggin View Post
Big car guy. Been in the industry in one capacity or another for most of my life.

Here is a pic of my current vintage car.

42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #32
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Guides are probably good, change the valve seals. It can be done without removing the head.
Excellent -- glad I asked! Now on to Googling "Valve seals vs. valve guides"...
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #33
ADK
_____

Oddometer: 8,130
Toyota is bragging about a stock tundra towing the space shuttle. Is the truck usable without a rebuild now?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #34
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
Toyota is bragging about a stock tundra towing the space shuttle. Is the truck usable without a rebuild now?
That commercial is so many levels of dumb I don't know where to begin, but since the truck wasn't carrying any of the weight of the load it probably didn't hurt it at all. This is not unlike men who pull large vehicles with their teeth. While the following link may not be completely accurate in terms of the math, it gives you an idea:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.c...uestion523.htm

I am sure the stress put on the truck in the commercial was within its design limits. It just looks good to the unsuspecting eye.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #35
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
My new gig is a long term deal with a client. The client is only 4 hours away by car and no direct air service. We only have one car so I decided to lease something to make the drive. I get paid mileage ($.565 per) to make the drive.

I have a 2013 Volvo S60 AWD in the driveway. I did Volvo's 24 month lease because 99% of the miles on the car are going to be charged back to the client.

The Volvo is the cheapest S60 with AWD that is available. I went with the Volvo because I wanted something with AWD, it had to be quiet on the road, I needed nice seats, and I wanted something that wasn't completely common. It also looks good in black.

Even bone stock, I was surprised with the number of features on the car. Memory seats are huge (my wife is short and I am 6'2"). Rain sensing wiper are nice.

I doubt I'll have it long enough to experience any issues.

I've driven a lot of rental cars in the last year. I went through just about every variation of Malibu, Fusion, Altima, 200, 300, Impala, and S60. Rental car miles are like dog miles and the S60 and Fusion were the best for me. I looked at an AWD 2013 Fusion but I couldn't get the finances to work out better than the S60. Plus, they are rare around here. Even the ones shown as in-inventory are actually ordered cars or were already taken by the time I got to the dealer.

We'll see how it works out.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #36
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
That commercial is so many levels of dumb I don't know where to begin, but since the truck wasn't carrying any of the weight of the load it probably didn't hurt it at all. This is not unlike men who pull large vehicles with their teeth. While the following link may not be completely accurate in terms of the math, it gives you an idea:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.c...uestion523.htm

I am sure the stress put on the truck in the commercial was within its design limits. It just looks good to the unsuspecting eye.
There was some prep (I wouldn't call them mods) done to the truck for the stunt but basically any 1/2 ton pick-up could have done it.
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #37
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,120
Quote:
Here's the deal. When I left my career as an Auto Tech I really hated cars.

I have been a tech,lead tech,shop forman,counterman,parts manager,service manager and curranty the imo the phony position of parts and service director wich means all of the above for the last 25 years. I can't seem to keep my hands clean to this day. I still keep a toolbox at work and dive in. I get the tech mentality very much and still miss the just leave me alone,dont touch my radio and let me work thing.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #38
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,732
My 'project' is a 1960 Mercedes 190SL. Dad broke at least one brake line and the floor needs welding.

One of these days...

Before that, I got bit by the British bug. 73 Midget then a 79 TR-7. Midget ran like a farging top till I hit some c-nt in a Beretta that turned from the far right side of the road (wheels off the pavement) into a driveway.

The TR-7 died an ignominious death in rush hour traffic when I *thought* someone was signalling me I could go left in front of her. Evidently she was pissed at the guy in front of me...

I keep seeing British cars and am over em, but right now I'm so broke I can't pay... Hey look! A chikken!

M
Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #39
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,616
Maybe this will help you miss those British cars even more..........

My recent ejumication on why Castrol GTX isn't what it was 30 years ago....

Which leads to this......

But one must remove the complete interior to get to the above picture.....

which reveals, where the furry stuff came from.....

One trashed cam lobe, most lifers pitted, and every top ring busted (DPO-engine previously honed and ringed)

..but all that bad news...leads to....

and even more goodies...

this is what the motor looked like before.

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 01:52 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #40
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,824
So, I have a 93 4Runner in which the 4WD does not work. The shop I took it too after I bought it claims that the front differential has good electrical current, and good vacuum pressure as well. That said, they think it is an acuator that is bad and needs to be replaced for $500 plus labor. I found the part on-line for $130, which leads to: does it sound like this is my problem? and can I fix this with my brother (who is a mechanic at a Dodge dealer) in my driveway?

Other than that issue and a sticking brake caliber, this is a fun little under-powered SUV.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #41
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,616
Not sure if I'd buy parts just yet, the problem maybe due to some corrosion of metal parts, or thickening grease. Get a manual and see how it goes together, or do a search online. As you have a popular truck so it shouldn't be hard to find info or even step by step procedure w/ picts. Sure you brother would have no problem fixing it.

luv my '93 22RE, 4x4. had it since new, 124K, one clutch, one caliper, water pump, clutch, A/C. One set front pads due to sticking caliper.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #42
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post

I've loved those since my first ride in one in Parkersburg WV somewhere around 1975. My dad had a TR3 for a brief time when I was 3 - 4 years old. I still remember it well, right down to the smell of the interior and convertible top. I've never owned a british car and don't have interest in caring for one nowadays, but if I did I suppose a TR6 would be a top pick

Old 01-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #43
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
So, I have a 93 4Runner in which the 4WD does not work. The shop I took it too after I bought it claims that the front differential has good electrical current, and good vacuum pressure as well. That said, they think it is an acuator that is bad and needs to be replaced for $500 plus labor. I found the part on-line for $130, which leads to: does it sound like this is my problem? and can I fix this with my brother (who is a mechanic at a Dodge dealer) in my driveway?

Other than that issue and a sticking brake caliber, this is a fun little under-powered SUV.
Several possibilities here, including the possibility that they could actually be right If your brother is a Tech at a Dodge dealer he should be able to double check that diagnosis pretty readily before you waste any money buying parts you might not need.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #44
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,824

Quote:
Several possibilities here, including the possibility that they could actually be right If your brother is a Tech at a Dodge dealer he should be able to double check that diagnosis pretty readily before you waste any money buying parts you might not need.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #45
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
I was talking with my parents a few months ago at their 50th wedding anniversary. Obviously, they were married in 1962.

For the wedding, my dad wanted to purchase a new car. He had a 1961 Corvette but wanted something brand new to celebrate. He looked at just 2 cars: 1963 split window Corvette and a 1963 Mercedes 300SL. He debated the vehicles and tried to pick out the merits of each. At the time, he was very much into racing and made regular weekend trips to oval and road tracks, as well as drag racing.

He ended up with the 1963 split window with the 327-360 in whatever the blue was for that year.

It ended up being a real lemon and was eventually traded for 1965 Corvette convertible 396-425.

I only mention this because a Mercedes similar to the one my dad was looking at recently sold for $1.3M.

I would post pics of the 1963 but I can't locate pictures of his. We believe all known pictures were lost in a house fire a few years ago.

There you go. My family's story of 'almost was'.

koncha screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 08:47 AM Reason: I inserted Gullwing when the 300SL wasn't a gullwing in '63. My mistake, not dad's.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: