Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #15466
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingz06 View Post
. Not planning in top box, I personally think they r ugly..

Old 01-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #15467
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingz06 View Post
I'm not doing anything at this point. No need for taller shield. It's perfect as is. Not planning in top box, I personally think they r ugly. Ill provide more comparison as I ride. 30 mins today and I'm really sold on this bike. No looking back at the FJR.
Ain't it nice when you know you make the right choice? Congrats on the bike. It looks fantastic.

As far as topcases, I love mine. I ride with it attached all the time. It might look dorky, but it's oh-so-useful.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #15468
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,280
Geez! I totally misread Mercury's post. Left the pictures, anyway.

Here's an overall shot.

A shot with exhaust guards.

ducnut screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 08:36 PM
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #15469
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
I've got the Altrider skidplate. Haven't hit it on anything yet, but it seems very well made, and it seems like it'd protect things very well.

On another note, I passed 800 miles today. I'm sticking to the recommended break-in schedule, so now I can hit 8000 rpm!

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #15470
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
I've got the Altrider skidplate. Haven't hit it on anything yet, but it seems very well made, and it seems like it'd protect things very well.

On another note, I passed 800 miles today. I'm sticking to the recommended break-in schedule, so now I can hit 8000 rpm!
So how are you liking the lil' Tigger? Miss your Stelvio yet?

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #15471
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Winter aesthetics?

I saw these over on the DRZ400 side and decided to give them a try.

The Barkbusters even with the added lip on top were not made for cold bitter wind. Even with the heated grips, my hands (mainly my thumb) were still out in the cold.

Now when I post the pictures don't be too harsh, I just hate wearing bulky winter gloves.

Once the temps rise back to a comfortable range I can just snip a tie wrap and undo the Velcro strap.

On the right side you can't compress the Velcro strap as much as the left. It has to go over the master cylinder and brake switch.

Now I just need some studded tires and I'll be ready for some Ice Racing!

Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #15472
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 379
[QUOTE=Vzuke;20530183]I saw these over on the DRZ400 side and decided to give them a try.

The Barkbusters even with the added lip on top were not made for cold bitter wind. Even with the heated grips, my hands (mainly my thumb) were still out in the cold.

Now when I post the pictures don't be too harsh, I just hate wearing bulky winter gloves.

Once the temps rise back to a comfortable range I can just snip a tie wrap and undo the Velcro strap.

On the right side you can't compress the Velcro strap as much as the left. It has to go over the master cylinder and brake switch.

[/QU

Cool! I mean Warm!!! I want some for my TGR PYG.
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #15473
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
Is anyone using the new Moose skid plate? I would love to see some better pics of it.
Unfortunate that the only picture they show is of a BWM F800! Idiots.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:25 AM   #15474
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
The SW Motech skid plate is riveted together. There have been several that have failed, although they were seriously abused.
The Altrider skid plate is a fully welded assembly and offers excellent protection. Its somewhat pricey but well worth protecting your investment.
Nothing wrong with rivets. All sorts of things are riveted including steam boilers and large ships.
The difference between riveted and welded is that you can take the riveted one apart and repair then re-rivet. The welded one you have to attack it with a large hammer and have little chance of it ever being the same shape again.

The Altrider one doesn't look like it covers the oil filter.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #15475
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
The Altrider one doesn't look like it covers the oil filter.
I understand some folks want to protect their oil filter. That's easy to do with a quick steel cover that runs $30. I don't care if my filter gets a dent or two; it's only on the bike temporarily anyway. I would very much care if it got a puncture, though.

However, with even the Triumph aluminum sump guard, the oil filter is protected from debris being flung up from the front tire. Any foreign object would have to come at the filter from an unexpected angle to contact it. The Triumph sump guard also allows access to the oil filter for maintenance purposes, without having to remove the sump guard.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #15476
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzuke View Post
I saw these over on the DRZ400 side and decided to give them a try.

All things considered, those don't look half bad. I wish they didn't have the huge logo, but besides that... Got a link?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #15477
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Moose Racing Mod

I got them from BikeBandit.com - $24.95.

Or you could go to Motorcycle Superstore.com
and get some Moose utility hand guards for the same price.

OR make your Triumph disappear with the Mossy Oak Moose guards.
For some reason these are $23.95.

The rubber/vinyl patch is sew on. If you're careful you could cut the thread (seam ripper / exacto knife) and remove the patch. Hopefully they didn't glue it also.
Or mask it off and lightly spray paint and subdue it. And there is always duct tape but that just gets nasty.

Vzuke screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 08:16 AM Reason: added pictures.
Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #15478
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
So how are you liking the lil' Tigger? Miss your Stelvio yet?

-SM
I do miss the Stelvio, but for one reason or another I miss all the bikes I've owned. Same thing with the cars & trucks I've had. But I also know that I'm a sampler...I have no brand loyalty at all when it comes to vehicles, and I buy for what I'm doing at the moment and for what I think I'll be doing in the future, oftentimes with a healthy dose of what's speaking to me at the moment thrown into the mix. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm not, but I can always appreciate a vehicle for what it is.

The Tiger and the Stelvio are very, very different bikes with very different characters, that seemed to arrive in the ADV arena by completely different routes.

The Stelvio always came across to me like the Italians borrowed ingredients and spices from Ducati, Harley, BMW, and NASCAR to brew up a passionate and full-flavored road-biased ADV bike...heavy, comfortable, capable, loaded with character, and with strikingly beautiful details that were sweated to produce form and function. One example: the little chrome Guzzi eagle tucked up between the forks behind the headlights...it's part of the fork brace and only visible if you're looking for it, but when you find it, it's a beautiful detail. I loved that engine...torque anywhere on the tach, with a sound that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

The Triumph comes across more like the love-child of a Street Triple and a KLR...light, flickable, functional, eager, and up for whatever the rider throws at it. It's like a 3-year old Golden Retriever...old enough to be well behaved, and perpetually happy whether you're walking home from the groomer or jumping into a muddy river. It excels at nothing, but does a lot of things well, and it has a playful demeanor that I like.

Neither is perfect, each resides at different points in the ADV spectrum somewhere between a Multistrada and a KLR, and I like both.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #15479
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
"The Triumph comes across more like the love-child of a Street Triple and a KLR...light, flickable, functional, eager, and up for whatever the rider throws at it. It's like a 3-year old Golden Retriever...old enough to be well behaved, and perpetually happy whether you're walking home from the groomer or jumping into a muddy river. It excels at nothing, but does a lot of things well, and it has a playful demeanor that I like."

Well put.
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #15480
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
The Triumph comes across more like the love-child of a Street Triple and a KLR...light, flickable, functional, eager, and up for whatever the rider throws at it. It's like a 3-year old Golden Retriever...old enough to be well behaved, and perpetually happy whether you're walking home from the groomer or jumping into a muddy river. It excels at nothing, but does a lot of things well, and it has a playful demeanor that I like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmetHead Cycle View Post
Well put.
Totally agree, best description of the Tiger I've ever heard.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote