Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #46
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,287
It would take a major shift in national road culture. Impetus for that change might be $10/liter for fuel. Serious insurance problems/premiums for poor road usage. Some percieved reward for 'doing it right' regardless of how 'right' that might actually be. The change might occur swiftly due to serious needs. Our it might take 20+yrs due to the necessary time for society to morph into a new perspective. I have always suspected that it would take a variety of needs with 2 or 3 being the most obvious. No matter how bad any metro gridlock becomes the 'haves' will want it to go their way. And the hoi polloi will have to fight for whatever makes sense to them. Cheap transportation with good flow is not on any politicians/authorities radar unless they get a piece of the pie. Not exactly CS&M. But that seems to be what it will boil down to before we can expect the Enlightenment&Rapture of filtering and the like here in the States.

The cagers really changed for the better when fuel costs rose to $5+/gal in chicagoland a few years ago. I would never have predicted that if I wasn't here to see it for myself. The police revenue sharing plan took a nose dive as speeding tickets disappeared and they had to cite lesser infractions more frequently and erroneously to make up the shortfall. Bikers got a lot more attention which was a downside that really interfered with the joy of less traffic idiocy. At the time, I was actually looking forward to see what would happen if fuel hit $6 or $7 per gallon. Not that I would really like to live at that price without some significant societal 'rewards for being on the bike'.

Still, I do believe that we bikers should whine for filtering et al at every opp to keep it on the front burner of the pols. We do get a little grease for our wheel now and then. Recently, ILL got 'left on red' when the induction loop didn't trigger the signal. This is good for the surrounding 'burbs even though it is still not allowed in chicago limits. We always had this 'malfunctioning light' plea in court where we couldn't prove anything and got hosed if we tried it. The difference now is that the local gendarmes are less likely to write the cite. ymmv
Old 01-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #47
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,582
Long lines of v-twins try to prevent "filtering" while potato-ing along in legal passing zones. If motorcyclists refuse to cooperate with motorcyclists, I don't have much hope for people in automobiles who know we're wrong for choosing to ride motorcycles.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #48
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
Long lines of v-twins try to prevent "filtering" while potato-ing along in legal passing zones. If motorcyclists refuse to cooperate with motorcyclists, I don't have much hope for people in automobiles who know we're wrong for choosing to ride motorcycles.

What's with that? Had it happen to me once, knew the road, was doing 100 mph two-up, caught them at a perfect legal passing zone and the last pirate swung out to block my pass, to avoid hitting him I had to go up the center a few rows before I could get back out to make a proper pass. Still have no idea what his deal was?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #49
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,244
What will it take?

Gas prices at European levels, putting more people on two wheels, then realizing there are great HUGE gaps of pavement they could be using.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #50
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,3665468.story

Quote:
Etiquette known only to the French requires motorists in the number one lane to stay left — keeping their mirrors inches from the concrete divider — and those in the number two lane to stay right. Ignorant Americans, who by habit aim for the center of the lane, soon learn of their impropriety from a barrage of gestures that can be understood in any language.
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #51
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,610
The reason that Europeans in general stay to the left in 1 and the right in 2 is that this opens up a free "lane" for emergency vehicles. This is the law in most European countries.

It works fantastically. And it makes a lot of nice room for motorbikes, too. Conveniently, the bikes can slide into slots between cars when necessary to open up the required space for police, ambulances, etc.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #52
EddMc
are we there yet

Oddometer: 284
Hypothetical question what if the motorcycle community got together and bought a bunch of billboards along busy congested highways and put on it something in the way of "Watch out for bikes filtering in traffic" and put a picture of just that? How many cagers and even cop would just figure that someone just made it legal and would not care any longer if we started doing it.

2007 R1200GS
1997 XR400R
EddMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #53
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddMc View Post
Hypothetical question what if the motorcycle community got together and bought a bunch of billboards along busy congested highways and put on it something in the way of "Watch out for bikes filtering in traffic" and put a picture of just that? How many cagers and even cop would just figure that someone just made it legal and would not care any longer if we started doing it.

sign ordinances & regulations and cost of paying for ads on existing billboards make that impractical
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #54
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
sign ordinances & regulations and cost of paying for ads on existing billboards make that impractical
It's actually not a bad idea. I think the ordinances and regulations might be a bigger hurdle than raising the money.

I am not sure who regulates them city? county? state? May not even be addressed, since no one has ever tried it, and there are a lot of people that will argue that in states like TX, where the issue (lane-splitting) is not addressed it is neither legal nor illegal, so how can they say no to putting it on a billboard?
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #55
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
I don't think it'll ever be a good idea in the US. Too many rednecks and people who don't "get it". They'll always be "pissed off" that someone is getting in front of them and that's where the trouble starts.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #56
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I don't think it'll ever be a good idea in the US. Too many rednecks and people who don't "get it". They'll always be "pissed off" that someone is getting in front of them and that's where the trouble starts.
People are the same all over the world.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #57
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
But as a whole, drivers in the U.S. are lacking in attention and ability.

A majority of them feel they are "better than average" drivers, which is statistically impossible.

It should take more than the ability to fog a mirror to obtain a driver's license. Until training and licensing requirements get more stringent -- and they won't -- lane splitting will remain a very risky exercise.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #58
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
+1

I think its going to take a MC being seen as basic transportation instead of a weekend toy to get things moving along.

As it is, the weekend warrior-type thinking would get in our way. Remind me to tell y'all the story of the Hardley bobber riding guy one day.

'Course, it may be a catch-22 situation: no one shares lanes because commuting where its not legal is a PITA so not many ride a MC as transportation repeat the spiral. Sitting there sucking exhaust fumes in traffic? Sucks eggs. BTDT

S'why I share lanes when I can regardless of where I am.

M
Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #59
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
But as a whole, drivers in the U.S. are lacking in attention and ability.

A majority of them feel they are "better than average" drivers, which is statistically impossible.

It should take more than the ability to fog a mirror to obtain a driver's license. Until training and licensing requirements get more stringent -- and they won't -- lane splitting will remain a very risky exercise.
As bad as the driving around the DC area is, I'm amazed that traffic moves at all, much less how few accidents there really are.

Cluelessness actually works FOR us instead of the reverse. IOW its easier to share lanes if people don't know we're coming 'cause they don't do anything stupid. We're there and gone before it registers that there's a MC around.

Having said that, its up to YOU (the MC rider) to be aware of the danger and ride as defensively as riding assertively will allow. After a little bit, you get to where you see signs of impending movement and back off (or get thru the danger area faster!).

M
Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #60
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Even though lane splitting has been tolerated here in Kalifornistan, it hasn't been widely excepted or promoted. (I've been in traffic school on several occasions where the dick head instructor said it was illegal. )
Butt now the pig gubment 'n CHP have finally figured out that it's better fer everybody on the road, 'n safer, so they're promoting it. http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html
Besides be'in shitty drivers, Americans are selfish pigs who don't see the greater good, of people splitting and getting off the roads making more room for others. Hopefully this'll help?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Whyz it gotta be 'bout rednecks? Sum us rednecks are open minded, 'n encourage lane split'in.