Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 02:53 AM   #511
jfslater98
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
the sudden onslaught of foreign competitors like the Toyota MR2 and the Fiat X1/9 quickly doomed the Fiero.

That's some competition. Hmmm do I prefer my commuting slug to self-immolate or just rot away?

Look out, GM!!!!

jfslater98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #512
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,193
NECROPOST !!

Isuzu Impulse...a better driving and looking Geo Storm ... wish I could find one

JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #513
Dukeryder OP

Oddometer: 7,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
NECROPOST !!

Isuzu Impulse...a better driving and looking Geo Storm ... wish I could find one

Definitely a cool and forgotten one! I had no idea it shared stuff with the Geo storm.

In the mid 90s when I was in High School a dude had a Storm, actually bought it over a CRX, at the time the marginal performance difference wasn't big enough to justify the Honda premium, but I still see tons CRXs and haven't seen and Impulse or Storm in YEARS. I think the Storm was ridiculously cheap like buy it for $129/mo back in the 90s, of course Isuzu didn't get quite the same marketing as the Geo.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #514
Sancho Panza
Super Black Eagle

Oddometer: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by (none) View Post
Yes! had a 1994, chipped, full 3" exhaust, eibachs/bilsteins, 928 front brakes, etc. Loved that thing, last of the real Audis

Can't forget about the 1990 and 1991 Audi cqs... mine was black, this one has a 3b turbo motor dropped init.

I lovred min but couldn't afford to keep fixing it, what a ride a true german missle, was great in the snow
Sancho Panza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #515
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,401

Ugly but cool

Having that car in HS was a lot of fun, it was about as fast as 3rd gen F-bodies/Fox Mustangs which were the other cars kids had. It could out handle any of them and was rated one of the best handling cars in 1992. T-tops . And with the intake/exhaust it got 40 MPG....back when gas was under a buck a gallon. When we wanted to go on a road trip we'd just look under a couch or 2 and the change was usually enough.

Plus with the back seats folded we could get 2 snowboards in no problem.....and with them up fit 5 people back there

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #516
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho Panza View Post
I lovred min but couldn't afford to keep fixing it, what a ride a true german missle, was great in the snow
totally. still miss that thing.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #517
KF7GTH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Mom still, as far as I know, has a pearl white 91 Audi Quattro coupe- 5 speed sitting in the yard at her house. Electrical problems I think- hasn't been driven in 5-6 years. I told her not to buy the stupid thing used back in about '98 unless she was prepared to spend $$$ on upkeep and parts. She didn't listen tho'
Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #518
99Bandit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I was lucky enough to work at a couple of dealerships and detail shops in the early 90's fresh out of HS. I got to drive damn near every "new" car on the market. My favorite at the time was the 91 ZR1Corvette. That car was crazy fast in the hands of a stupid 19 year old kid.

In 1994, I was 21 and desperate for a new Z28 Camaro. I got lucky and found a 93 with only 5K miles on it. All black, auto, hard top with the Bose sound system. Picked it up for 19K which was crazy for a kid my age at the time.

I took that car to the drag strip just about every weekend. Bone stock it ran 14.50ish. By the time I had to let her go after having kids, it was running 12.90's @ 109MPH.

That is the only vehicle that I still regret getting rid of.
99Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #519
Nophix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
NECROPOST !!

That one was good, as long as it was the turbo. But, the original was far better in the handling department, thanks to Lotus.

Nophix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #520
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
As a follow-up to my earlier post, thanks for the replies. I decided to pull the trigger and buy the '92 Mustang 5.0 LX. Here she is:

The only mods to it are the taller hood and a Hurst shifter for the 5-speed transmission. It is a remarkably unmolested example. I have some mods that I will do, the same as I did to my '91 (strut brace, subframe connectors, probably better brakes, etc.), and I will replace the Cobra badges with the stock 5.0 badges, but otherwise it will be as stock as possible.

More to follow, I am sure!
Okay, so I'm back. I bought the car above, and after way too much communication, I managed to get the paperwork from PA to FL to get it titled and registered. I went up and got it in February, and in March took it down to a regional high-performance shop to get it looked at. My instructions were that we needed to confirm that the car was basically sound - I was willing to cut my losses if the car was fundamentally screwed up.

They gave the car a thorough going over, and declared the car basically sound, but in need of some work. First, the previous owner (hereinafter PO) cut a lot of corners to make the car look pretty. The interior in particular needs to have a thorough going-over, including replacing the headliner and all the seals; the door panels look like cheap Chinese knock-offs, and will likely need to be replaced as well. The radio/CD player is junk and needs to go as well. No biggie, and I accounted for that.

As far as the rest of the car, some problems were found, including a leaking fuel tank seal, corroded brake and fuel lines, and minor unseen body issues. However, the car was unmolested, and basically sound. Here are some photos.

Here's the car up on the lift. The drive shaft, rear axle, and fuel tank have been removed.

Here you can see some of the surface rust hidden by the axle and fuel tank:

We will take care of that with careful prep work and application of POR-15.

Here's another view of the rear underside:

Here's a close-up of the rear underbody, showing the exhaust removed, and a little better detail on the corrosion issue:

This shot shows the first item installed, a Stiffler's brace and subframe connector kit - very comprehensive (the ladders that connect the subframe connectors to the outside frame braces have not been installed yet)

Here's a closer shot of the outside braces, and how the sub-frame connectors are the new jacking points:

The frame braces not only considerably stiffen the otherwise flimsy uni-body, the they also provide much sturdier jacking points (as shown).

Once the underside is treated with the complete POR-15 process, the updated rear suspension will be installed, the drive-train removed, and the new front suspension installed.

More to follow!

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #521
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post

Here's a closer shot of the outside braces, and how the sub-frame connectors are the new jacking points:

The frame braces not only considerably stiffen the otherwise flimsy uni-body, the they also provide much sturdier jacking points (as shown).

Once the underside is treated with the complete POR-15 process, the updated rear suspension will be installed, the drive-train removed, and the new front suspension installed.

More to follow!
I hope you enjoy your car....but ahh....that I guess I would say is a sub frame connector done on the cheap....not sure I would leave that....in fact I am real sure that it would go.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #522
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I hope you enjoy your car....but ahh....that I guess I would say is a sub frame connector done on the cheap....not sure I would leave that....in fact I am real sure that it would go.
What you see in the picture is not the sub-frame connector, but a brace that runs along the outside edge of the under-body. The sub-frame connectors run closer in along teh transmission tunnel. Later, a ladder brace will connect the sub-frame connector to the outer brace.

Here is a link to the Stiffler's webpage that shows the entire "FIT" System:

http://buystifflers.com/1979-1993MustangFITSystem.aspx

They have some other cool stuff for bracing the Fox body Mustangs.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #523
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,178
They'll definitely help a ton, but they sure do hang low and eat up ground clearance don't ya think?
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #524
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
They'll definitely help a ton, but they sure do hang low and eat up ground clearance don't ya think?
Doesn't look to hang lower then other stuff in the undercarrage. Even if it bottoms out it will slide without hanging up. I like the non-traditional thinking. Besides those fox bodies are known for popping the floor boards off the rockers. That is different then jamming the torque boxes forward (need subframe connectors).

If you drive it hard, watch for body cracks in the roof in the hatch/sail panel area.
broncobowsher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #525
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,073
Since you're modifying it so extensively, why did you want an unmolested one to start with? (And those welds leave something to be desired. I'd want continuous seam welding above, below, and on the ends to keep moisture and grime from accumulating in the gaps and causing rust where it can't be seen or repaired.)
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: