Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
Tucos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
I have Wolfman racks made by backroads moto and the expedition soft bags, and pelican storm hard cases. I like the expedition cases for heavy off road use but if you are in and out of the bags a lot, it becomes a pain in the butt. I used the pelicans for a trip to copper canyon and was much happier due to ease of access to documents, etc. I also only packed about half of each case and was able to fit my jacket and pants in them, locked up, when eating or whatever. I had an encounter with a log that ripped one of the pelicans off of the rack. The mounting setup for the hard cases bent, as designed, and saved the rack and cases from any damage. Berg Briggs from backroads moto sent me a couple new easy to change pieces and I was back to like new condition. On the copper canyon trip, my buddy on a GS with Jessie's, had a tumble. The aluminum bent and one side would not close and the other had a hole ground into it. I am not saying that wouldn't happen with the pelicans but I hit that afformentioned log pretty hard and the case was still square. Good luck with your choice there are a ton of good products.
Tucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #17
PNWcrazymike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Neither

If you're sticking to asphalt and ravel roads, please disregard my opinion.

If you DO plan on riding off road, especially rough roads that are seasonally washed out with ruts and exposed rocks or deeper sand, I don't recommend any kind of "hard bags" because when you have both feet down "paddling" the bike through said rough sections, inevitably on leg will get sucked under a hard bag and although it may not be broken, you'll swear that you just broke your leg. I remember this all too well from my GS days so my current ADV bike is getting "soft bags."
Again, if you're sticking to asphalt (no pun intended) your hard bags will be out of the way and not an issue.
-Mike
PNWcrazymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #18
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,077
The Gobis seemed too wide for me, so I used KTM pannier & Gobi tail box racks and made mounts for my aluminum mermites -

I would have bought aluminum panniers if I didn't already own these, and I'll be buying a set of Wolfman Expedition Saddle Bags soon.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 09:27 AM
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #19
种.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWcrazymike View Post
If you're sticking to asphalt and ravel roads, please disregard my opinion.

If you DO plan on riding off road, especially rough roads that are seasonally washed out with ruts and exposed rocks or deeper sand, I don't recommend any kind of "hard bags" because when you have both feet down "paddling" the bike through said rough sections, inevitably on leg will get sucked under a hard bag and although it may not be broken, you'll swear that you just broke your leg. I remember this all too well from my GS days so my current ADV bike is getting "soft bags."
Again, if you're sticking to asphalt (no pun intended) your hard bags will be out of the way and not an issue.
-Mike
I agree. Different panniers for different kind of riding. As said before soft bags are lighter and usually smaller than hard bags. Good things if you are really riding off road far away from any civilization. With hard bags fully loaded it's easy to get near the stated maximum load capacity.

Riding "high speed" gravel / tarmac inside civilized world you may need to consider more about protecting your items inside the panniers than the ultimate bike lightness and survivability. Also if your crashing with speed usually your bike starts sliding around. Grinding everything that touches the ground. Maybe hard bags are better in these kind of situations. While in off road crashes seem to be hard hits, usually without any sliding. In those kind of situations soft bags may be better for the bike but maybe not for the items inside.

To original topic. First I had alu-panniers. They were easy to pack, had plenty of room and where quite light. I had few light off road style crashes with those, no problems. Only few bends. Problem was they where too wide and had even too much space for riding alone.

I changed for pelican 1550 cases. They are not so easy to pack and they are a bit heavy. They are a lot narrower so its easier to drive in narrow tracks. I have had few crashes with them. Off road ones left only few scratches. Crash on racetrack grinded left case a bit but lid still closes perfectly and it's watertight.

My sw-motech quick lock racks are getting more difficult to install/remove after every summer. Maybe some day I have to get new ones.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #20
Dogtown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
boxes!

Ive had all of them!

Soft bags only carry enough for an overnight.
Gobies are tooooo wide (for me)
Aluminums are a bit too fragile for "get offs"
Happy with pelicans! Home made mounts on KTM/Gobi racks LOVE THEM!!!!

Marin County To Cabo!
Dogtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #21
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Oddometer: 310
FWIW the 41L KTM branded Tourtech panniers will just barely hold a Medium or Large full face helmet [10.5 inches wide]. The lip at the top of the bag is narrower than the body; just guessing about 0.25 inches on each side but I haven't measured it. The downside is they are much wider than the bars. The 41L bags are about the same total width as the Gobis but with more storage capacity. I doubt the 35L Alu panniers [9 inches wide] will hold a FF helmet if that is important to you.
Lorretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #22
GLRRA47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I like my Jessie boxes.
GLRRA47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #23
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,912
I have Gobi's, but after seeing the Jesses in the flesh I wish I had them, much better. More space, about the same weight, stronger and aren't any wider than the bar ends. Also are stronger than the Touratech ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #24
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,938
Had both

Had aluminium ones then sold em and got gobis , get alu, much better. the water carrying gimic is just that, it's a PITA.
Just be sure to get a cable lanyard attached to your lids, cause if you lose one it's big bucks, trust me on that one.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
GLRRA47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Good customer service with Jessie panniers. Only thing I needed to follow-up with, was applying silicon sealant to and around all the fastner pass through points to ensure no seepage in the rain.
GLRRA47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #26
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
My Gobi's measured right at 42" wide. Has anybody thrown a tape on the other options mentioned here for comparison purposes?
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #27
Wantajustride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Wish I could post a photo of the Kriega/RotopaX set up,,,, (no photo bucket account, too cheap)

With the bags stuffed full of gear they measure 36" wide using the factory KTM mounts.
"Walking thru life to an unknown destination and trying to enjoy the adventure getting there"
Wantajustride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #28
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantajustride View Post
Wish I could post a photo of the Kriega/RotopaX set up,,,, (no photo bucket account, too cheap)

With the bags stuffed full of gear they measure 36" wide using the factory KTM mounts.
Photobucket is free, at least for me!
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #29
BarkSlayer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
I wish KTM would offer the plastic bags without the 3 liter water jackets molded into the sidewalls. A small plastic (disposable) bottle of water in the tank bag has worked great for me. The extra storage space in each bag would be much more practical.

"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent
BarkSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #30
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantajustride View Post

There is a thread full of photos in the Vendors section.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote