Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #61
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,853
With the amount of driving you do annually and the need for towing it really sounds like you should get a diesel.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:35 AM   #62
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeppurz View Post
My experience with the chevy half tonn.
2005 Ext cab 5.3 L 3.42 gears 4x4 z71
Purchased used 5 years ago at 95kms curently 170kms
-All steal brake lines rusted away
-throttle position sensor
-air bag sensor
-both front wheel bearings
-u joints
-fuel tank straps
-exterior door handle
-4 ball joints
-pads rotors drums & shoes
-ac charged

I find the truck to below average in quality. But the decent fuel economy, and low cost of parts for repairs make up for it. If you want to pull anything heavy she revs in third gear.

I have a 2006 5.4 F-150

Other than a snafu with the cam phasers (supposedly bad oil...that the dealer put in ) at like 6,000 miles the ONLY other issue I had was a window switch died....and was replaced under warranty.

Other than the fact that it needs a tranny temp gauge and its a bitch to park its been damn near the perfect truck.

....and I've had some heavy shit both in it, and behind it. Like a 1960s vintage 4 horse trailer, may as well just towed a couple more trucks that time.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #63
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Heavy loads and constant towing generally means you want a heavy duty truck, not a half ton. If you are driving 40k miles a year, it would be worth a few minutes to compare the total costs (including maintenance, fuel, etc) between gas and diesel; you might be at the point where a diesel rig would pay for itself.

Right now I have an F250 with the 5.4 gas engine, pretty much bare bones (stick shift, regular cab, etc) but at least it has AC and four wheel drive. It's more truck than I really need, but like others have said having a stronger truck is a nice luxury. There's a huge difference between towing with this compared to the lighter trucks I've owned before, just in terms of braking and handling. The 5.4 feels kind of slow, but it seems to get the job done just fine. MPG is about what you'd expect, 16 on the highway and 12 around town.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #64
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy Tucker View Post
...was hell bent on ditching the trailer and getting a Sprinter.
So what ruled that out? For me, not having to deal with a trailer is a BIG plus.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #65
Timmy Tucker OP
Beat to Fit

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by _anatic View Post
So what ruled that out? For me, not having to deal with a trailer is a BIG plus.
It would be a HUGE plus for me as well. But there were a few different factors that played into that decision.

Several mechanics that I trust told me to stay away from them... that they constantly need something fixed and parts are apparently pretty expensive.

I'm a carpenter, and it's bad enough dragging my 110# table saw in and out of a (low to the ground) trailer every day. The Sprinter is quite a bit higher off the ground from what I can tell.

This will also be my personal vehicle. I don't really want to have my tools w/ me everywhere I go. Too much crime where I live to leave my tools in the mall parking lot, etc.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: