User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
Ricenoodle OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Ricenoodle's Zuma 125 Modification Adventure

Quick intro about myself, I'm in the military and just transferred to Hawaii, what better way to commute to work then on a scooter to save gas, $, and enjoy the roads. So i picked this 2012 Zuma off of craiglist for $2700 with 1500 miles on it, and the adventure begins.
First night home, all stock.

First Mod after 3days of running stock lights : integrated Jdm lights. 9 led cluster is on during daytime for auxiliary and the hid kit provides 60/50w on a 5000k bulb. it's very bright and functional. the stock blinkers have been removed and replaced with red flush mounted led turn signals.

removed the front hand guards and stock yellow side markers. Also ordered some highway bars , gonna replace the side markers with all white led ones that function @ 50% daytime lights and @ 100% as side blinkers. included a better pic of the integrated jdm lights.

Installed 2 Bros Black Series Exhaust! This exhaust increased the fun factor of this scoot by 300% and makes a mean deep sound.

Installed red reflective pinstriping tape on the wheels. Also added white led blinkers/daytime running lights.

Ricenoodle screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 11:13 PM
Ricenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,573
welcome amigo!!!

you just can't leave it stock could you??? NO I could not either! welcome to the scooter side!!! Something tells me you are not over... right?

Have fun and more picstures are always welcome!

Damasovi
Old 01-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Ricenoodle OP
n00b

Ask and you shall receive, highway bars installed.

Finished a few mods and got a few others going at the same time as parts are coming in since i last updated this. a full video will be made once i'm all done, pics are just bits and pieces for now. i'm glad i got involved with this site, lots of info and motivation.
Competed mods
1. white led side markers install with daytime running lights.
2. 2 Bros Black series exhaust.
3. reflective pin striping on wheels.
4. synthetic oil change over /simota filter changeout
2. whale tale removal/duck lip install
3. blue led speedo/fuel gauge cluster swap
4. Koso afterburner with white signals
5. Xena xx15 disc lock

Pics from blue led speedo swapout.

Lights off! Super bright in person.

Stock tailights removed in preparation for Koso Afterburner install.

Installed

Ricenoodle screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 04:53 PM
Old 01-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Man I'm jealous! I went to college out in Hawaii and back then the scooter science was fantastic! I bet its ever better now. You picked a great bike for modding. I've been lurking on the Zuma forum and there is so much great info. Keep us updated with lots of pics.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Ricenoodle OP
n00b

Here's a full video of the scoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpKK9...ature=youtu.be

Ricenoodle screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 11:33 PM
Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,415
I bought a brand new 2012 white Zuma 125, and currently have just over 2000 miles on it. (700 of those miles were from one trip) So far all I have done is add a Shad 33L top box with a Shad rack/mount, and the Yamaha windshield. I definitely plan on the highway pegs, because I have a 34" inseam, and because I want to be able to use the floor space for storage. I also plan on getting the Tourmaster Select saddlebags at some point, to use when needed. I'm keeping the stock lights, but want to rig them up so they are both on at the same time, and possibly add both headlight and brakelight modulators for more visibility. Engine/CVT/exhaust will stay stock for reliability and longevity. Since this is basically a touring rig, I decided to keep the ducktail rear fender, and put something reflective on it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
Ricenoodle OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I bought a brand new 2012 white Zuma 125, and currently have just over 2000 miles on it. (700 of those miles were from one trip) So far all I have done is add a Shad 33L top box with a Shad rack/mount, and the Yamaha windshield. I definitely plan on the highway pegs, because I have a 34" inseam, and because I want to be able to use the floor space for storage. I also plan on getting the Tourmaster Select saddlebags at some point, to use when needed. I'm keeping the stock lights, but want to rig them up so they are both on at the same time, and possibly add both headlight and brakelight modulators for more visibility. Engine/CVT/exhaust will stay stock for reliability and longevity. Since this is basically a touring rig, I decided to keep the ducktail rear fender, and put something reflective on it.

The highway bars definately made the scooter alot more comfortable to ride, i use it EVERYTIME i ride now, putting my knees side by side just feel so cramped nowadays after the install. If you get the headlight harness for dual headlights make sure you lower both bulbs to 35w as to not overload the battery. Lots of folks leave stock bulbs which are 55w i believe and ended up killing their battery shortly after the changeover, just a thought.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,686
Nice looking Zuma.

I took mine out on Monday and ran some errands.

Lot of fun to ride.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricenoodle View Post
the adventure begins
Sad to see yet another Zuma 125 desecrated into a pile of excrement!
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
kiznile
Scooter Commuter

Oddometer: 66
Nice Farkles! love modding every vehicle i own. I really wish someone made a highway peg setup like that for the Scarabeo...
kiznile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #11
Ricenoodle OP
n00b

Been awhile since an update. Went for a ride on a nice Sunday here in Honolulu, snap this pic while i was at it. RC Scooters CVT kit is going to be installed this weekend with 10gL/11gS for fast acceleration city riding.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #12
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,415
I'm not into modding scooters and motorcycles for looks or performance, it has to be something practical. I did the windshield, rack and top case, and mounted a GPS unit on the bars. I have the footpegs ordered, and made a hook for the center screw in the legshield, to hold a large bag in place on the floor. That's it for me until the tires wear out and I get to try something different.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #13
Ricenoodle OP
n00b

Every scooter modder does it to meet his own needs. My ride is a daily commuter to work everyday so if it's not quality dependable parts, i am not putting it on. For me this scoot is not meant to be a racing machine on the track by any means but i do like to improve on the fun factor wherever i can. Some things along the way have proved quiet useful like the exhaust which since the install i haven't got cut off once due to not being heard, which happen quite often before since the stock exhaust was way too quiet. The foot pegs was for comfort and i highly recommend it. I also install some "grip puppies" grips over the stock grips and it was a night and day difference as far as vibrations during the ride and the numbness afterward. Best $13 dollars ever spent. The recent CVT upgrade allowed the bike to have alot of acceleration off the line and overall pickup and works great to pass traffic in order to switch lanes. So far everything have held up fine due to the research i do before ordering parts. I also installed a bag hook but i also installed a strap under it in order to snap bags or whatnot that would not stay on the hook. i can provide pics if needed.